Does anyone know?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by tchr4vr, Oct 28, 2015.

1. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Companion

Oct 28, 2015

Just a question. I am currently considering my options for the remainder of my career. I'm not sure if I want a new school, a new grade, a new subject, or leave education all together. I'm trying to make myself as marketable as possible and give myself some options. I currently am licensed for English 9-12 and Theatre Arts K-12. I was thinking of getting an additional certification in history, and possibly technology. I am about to enroll in an technology educator license program, so that is taken care of. I've looked at history credentials in my state, and although I have some coursework, not enough, and it would take at least two years to get enough. I'm registering to take the Praxis II in history in the next month or so--and I've looked at some practice tests--I know I can pass it. It looks like NC only requires the test--

Here's my question. If I get the credential in one state, can I then transfer that to an add-on in my state? The states do have reciprocity.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 28, 2015

It all depends on what the new state requires.

4. Culturanta

Culturanta Rookie

Oct 28, 2015

The bigger question is why you are thinking of leaving the profession altogether - if you don't want to teach anymore, then an additional cert will be just a waste of your time and money.

What is happening that causes you to feel so unhappy where you are at present?

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 29, 2015

I agree with @Culturanta. If you are thinking of leaving the profession altogether then extra certifications will just be a waste of money. I would try a new grade level before changing schools to see if that changes your feelings. If that doesn't do it, then look at changing schools. I know a lot of people who are looking at getting education. :(

6. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 29, 2015

Also if you leave education, you'd have to change your username.

7. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Companion

Oct 29, 2015

The issue now is two fold--one, a bad administration--which means I am looking at getting a new school, although I just came here last year--but administration changed. Two, it is my grade level--I am the only English 11 teacher in my building (I'm at a very small school), so all the test pressure is on me--I have to do all the tutoring, all that stuff. Three--I moved here to get away from some of this same stuff--and it was a little better--but I'm just wondering if it will every get any better anywhere.

I am really trying to make myself more marketable, whatever I choose to do.