Does anyone know which state will accept a Florida certification without having to take that states

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by history, Feb 14, 2016.

1. history

history Companion

Feb 14, 2016

I realize each state has different rules , but I took the alternative certification route. I was wondering if anyone knows of a state that would accept my certifiacation without having to go through that states exams? Thanks

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 17, 2016

Contact Florida's Department of Ed. and ask them the same question. They will be well versed in reciprocity.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 17, 2016

And keep in mind that reciprocity doesn't always mean your license automatically transfers over. You may still need to take some state mandated trainings or additional tests.

Caesar753 likes this.
  5. history

history Companion

Feb 17, 2016

Vickilyn
    The state is going to tell me which states will accept my certification without having to take their state exams? I find that hard to believe as it would be taking potential. Teachers from the state.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 17, 2016

czacza likes this.
  7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 17, 2016

I have reciprocity in NY state. I could get to the city in 49 minutes, or just cross the border in about 12 minutes. When I moved to NJ with Virginia cert in hand I didn't even bother looking at NY state. Reciprocity doesn't cause a mass exodus!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  8. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Feb 17, 2016

Yes, this. New York and Indiana have reciprocity according to the chart Caesar shared, but while Indiana was willing to grant me a temporary license to start teaching on, they were still going to require me to take any Indiana exams I hadn't taken in order to become permanent in the state.

9. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Feb 17, 2016

I have no clue, and don't mean to sound snarky, but I doubt there would be many that would. I mean certification is a way for states to make money. I remember several years back when the price for certification in Florida when up 100%. I believe I paid something like $50 for my certification and now it is something like $500 for certification in the state of Florida. Now I am of the understanding that National Board Certification can be substituted when you move across state lines. But again, this is based upon nothing factual.

10. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 17, 2016

Let me start by saying that if you get a list of states that share reciprocity for teacher certification, you now have a road map to at least find states that may accept your credentials from Florida. That said, states that have gone to using their own form of teacher cert. exams, such as Florida and Texas, two that come to mind, may reciprocate once you have your standard certificates and experience. However, when my son was looking in three states after college, two states required Praxis II exams, although different exams, and then there was Texas, which mandated that the applicants take their exams in spite of passing the Praxis exams. Now, with experience and standard certificates, he would be able to make the switch to other states with little difficulty, but it was overwhelming as a new graduate.

If you have standard certificates and about 3 years experience (just a number floating around in my head about this stuff), you may be able to contact other states and see what that will get you. If you are graduated, however, and without experience, I believe you will find that each state will collect their pound of flesh and mandate the exams you will need to take. It is certainly better to check in states you would like to go to, and work from there. I do know that some states will accept your FL credentials in the form listed above, where they will start you in a job contingent upon you passing the required testing for that state by a given time.

For what it is worth, for every teacher who leaves a state, another is looking to move into the state. Additionally, you can find this information on most state DOE websites, so there is nothing secretive. Virtually all have telephone contact numbers should you want to speak to a real person. If you are going to inquire, now is better than later, once graduation time is upon you. The cost of certification is what it is, and it is one reason so few applicants truly apply nationally - too expensive and time consuming.

11. CAM71

CAM71 Rookie

Mar 18, 2016

I received my elementary certification through State College of Florida. I went the alternative teaching route too. Already had a BA in Geography from the University of New Orleans. When I moved to Maryland, the state issued me a professional certificate to teach but had 3 years to take 3 reading courses that I didn't take in their program. Like a few other posts stated, check with whatever state you would like to teach and they'll give you the run down. :) Good luck!