Does anyone know of a state that accepts Florida certification without taking that

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by history, May 10, 2014.

1. history

history Companion

May 10, 2014

I first want to start of saying that I realize that each states rules are different and I am just asking the following question to test the waters.
    Does anyone know of a state that has reciprocity with Florida if I have a clear, renewable, professional teaching certificate from Florida through an alternate route program and it does not require that I TAKE THEIR STATE TESTS? I would not have taught under the certification as of yet, in Florida.
    I am just curious to see what my options are.:confused:
    Thanks

3. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

May 10, 2014

I transferred my license from New Mexico to California and my tests were accepted. Information is on the ca credential website to check if your scores are accepted.
    Even though that is the case, I finally decided to just go take the California basic skills test CBEST anyway because every application asks for it and you have to explain to everyone how yours is accepted from out of state and wonder if they believe you. It's not that hard though.

Don't try orange county though, it's very hard to get in... maybe if you sub first.

4. history

history Companion

May 10, 2014

I appreciate the feedback, but I am wondering about Florida to other states.

5. bros

bros Phenom

May 11, 2014

6. history

history Companion

May 11, 2014

bros,
    It is true that not all states accept the alternative cert, but a lot are starting to offer their own alternative cert programs. If you notice from the chart a lot (almost all) accept Florida when it comes to reciprocity. I am trying to find out which ones will accept the alternative route ,EPI (these programs are growing state to state) programs and not require the applicant to take the state test and just do a direct transfer. I know Georgia will accept you without taking their tests if you have three years previous experience under the certification. I heard Michigan will accept you without taking their tests, but I also heard jobs are hard to come by there.

7. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

May 11, 2014

You kinda need to give us an idea of which states you are considering. I don't mean to sound harsh but this is information you can look up yourself on state websites. There are 50 states and like you said each has their own rules. There are teachers from Florida on here but I don't know if any have left the state and gotten certs in others.

I'll piggyback what bros as said in that with alt. route certs you'll probably have a harder time with reciprocity. As there are different rules with that type of certification. Here in NY you would need 3 years of teaching. Also on every "pathway" to certification at some point you need to take our state tests. It might not be right away but eventually you will have to.

Good luck.

8. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 11, 2014

Louisiana requires you to take the Praxis if you have not. Also, not all if my certifications transferred from Florida.

9. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

May 11, 2014

I just wanted to add in NYS with reciprocity they also want fingerprint clearance, which you'd have to pay for, I doubt being fingerprinted by Florida carries over as I've been fingerprinted through the city and state and when I was considering working for a educational company in NJ they said it didn't matter I needed to be fingerprinted by NJ.

Also in addition to completing or state tests, you have to do our workshops on child abuse, school violence and dasa.

I don't know if other states are as strict but I wouldn't come hear with a FL cert hoping to have the process move quickly.

10. history

history Companion

May 11, 2014

Miss Celia an everyone else who has responded,
    I realize every state does not accept the alt route and I also realize at some point I will have to take workshops. I am trying to find out from teachers that have gone taken the same route in Florida and that have moved to other states to teach. In my opinion, I believe more and more states will accept the alt route as it is getting harder to find teachers that have gone the traditional route or ones that have left teaching due to the changes in the classroom. MissCelia, with all due respect, I heard that for many years Louisiana has had a hard time finding teachers due to the hurricane season, the salary( which is the lowest for first year teachers compared to the rest of the US) and how the state has not fully recovered from the major hurricane. Please understand I am not saying the state should accept any old person that comes along, but if an applicant has the desire and the certification from (Florida requires all most the same standards as other states, my opinion) another state , well they should accept the certification and not be so demanding.
    As far as NY , I realize with NY you need to meet a higher standard.

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 11, 2014

I had to write a check to get my NC license using my MI one. However, MI has really high standards, so I'm not sure about other states transferring to NC.

12. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 11, 2014

I don't have any advice. Just want to say good luck!

13. history

history Companion

May 11, 2014

There was a teacher on this blog that claimed that MI would accept his alt cert from Florida:confused: and not have to take MI tests (he believed)

14. history

history Companion

May 11, 2014

Thanks!

15. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 11, 2014

A teacher I worked with in NC married a guy from MI, and they moved here. She had to fly up twice to take certification tests. She had to take an additional class, too, despite having her bachelors and masters.
    Every state's reciprocity is different, but I think that teacher will find his path a little more difficult that just getting his license transferred!

16. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

May 11, 2014