Does anyone know how to make your house not smell like you have dogs?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by mandagap06, Sep 8, 2008.

1. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Sep 8, 2008

I have 2 small dogs. Everytime we go to other poeple's house is always has a unique smell but a good smell. Some houses smell like clean laundry or some smell like baked goods, some smell like they may have sprayed fabrize. I come back to our house and stinks. It does not have a distink smell of poop or pee. It is just smells like dogs. I know people with dogs can prob relate. We don't know how to get rid of the smell. We just want our house to smell "fresh" if that makes since. Oh and even after a really good bath my dogs sometimes just have that wet dog smell. Maybe some of you guys know something to help. :help: :thanks:

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2008

We have two dogs too, so I know what you mean. Here are the things we do:

• Vacuum & sweep regularly
    • Get carpet professionally cleaned every couple of months
    • Vacuum furniture & upholstery
    • Use Fabreeze--they make a Pet Odor one
    • Get a flameless pet odor "candle"--you can find them at pet supply stores in with the shampoos. You just pop open the jar, and the scent is supposed to neutralize pet odor.
    • Open windows to air out the house
    • Keep pet beds/blankets out of the main area of the house

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  4. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Sep 8, 2008

Thanks we don't have pet beds/blankets they just get on our couch and our blankets. We do just about everything on this already except the pet fabreeze, pet candle.

5. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2008

* Shampoo the carpets - I try to do this every other month, but with 2 dogs I'd go for once a month.
    You can buy a decent carpet cleaner for about $250. (I should start a thread carpet cleaners ... I finally found one I like).

* Leave a few windows open all the time - it makes a huge difference.

* Launder your pet beds or if they can't be washed buy new ones and cover with something you can wash weekly.

* If you let your dogs on the bed ... wash your bed cover weekly.

* I only let my dog on one spot on the couch and I keep that spot covered with a towel I can wash.

* After you wash your dogs - make sure they dry all the way within a few hours - don't let them sit around with damp hair all day. If the hair by the skin stays wet it will get smelly and itchy. Bathe the dogs as infrequently as possible (like only if they roll in the mud) - especially if they are difficult to dry completely. I mostly do a "half bath" just to keep the rear end clean.

6. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Sep 8, 2008

We only have a little pooch, so she is not particularly smelly. Still, it happens occasionally. I am the candle queen. I love candles and have them in every room of the house.

I also vacuum and mop a lot.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 8, 2008

Oily-coated dogs smell the most. The worst doggy smell we ever had was when we had a springer spaniel who had chronic ear problems. Keep the dogs' ears cleaned and use a vinegar solution to wipe them out. Do you have long-haired dogs? Trim them frequently. Also, get drops for their water which freshen their breath. Get the dogs their own bedding and train them to sleep only on that. Make sure it is washable and set it out in the sun once a week. When you leave in the morning, set out a shallow dish of baking soda in several rooms.

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  8. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 8, 2008

I don't have dogs, but I do have three cats, and everybody who comes into my house seems suprised when they see them. They always tell me my house smells so clean :). The thing I've found to work the best is the odor neutralizing "scent" from glade plug ins. I can't use scented anything because of a kid who's allergic to everything (cleaners, scents, ect), but this stuff really works well. I only get around to mopping once a week, but when I do I move EVERYTHING, and sweep and mop every nook and cranny. I also dust the tops of everything and wipe them down with lysol 4 in 1 cleaner (lemon scented, with ds out of the house). I also do every last stitch of laundry...the bed linens, towels, bathroom carpets...anything the cats lie on.

9. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2008

Dog smells are hard to totally get rid of. I have two cats and wash the bedding often and keep their pans clean. Candles are nice. Our son has two large dogs and although they are are clean dogs, they have a doggy smell. I would wash bedding regularly and burn some scented candles. Don't get things too perfumey because that alone can make you sick! Just keep things washed and if possible, fresh air is the best remedy. Meanwhile, don't worry too much about it. They are your pets and you can't please everyone who might object to a bit of doggy smell in your home.

10. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Sep 9, 2008

This is a long shot, but maybe your windows are sealed too well. I have a 100 year old house, and it had 100 year old windows. I notice last year, after we put in new, double paned energy efficient windows, that when the house is all closed up, it smells stuffy. So the new windows are sealed so much better that the old, drafty windows.

11. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 9, 2008

All of the above (vacuum very frequently, mop, wipe down all surfaces a few times a year) and wash the dogs frequently. The dog smell is often the smell of dog sweat. Washing your dog frequently helps keep the odor down. I also think that brushing dogs outside helps keep the smell down because it reduces hair in your house and keeps any skin that they shed outside too.

12. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Sep 9, 2008

Definitely washing your dogs frequently will help...but not so frequently that their skin becomes irritated. It is dog sweat a lot of times like Tasha said, and my vet recommended this shampoo and it works like a charm! My dog used to reek, and now she smells like nothing! :)

13. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Sep 9, 2008

We found that buying a good shampoo and conditioner from the groomer helps. Many times the ones bought from pet stores and Wal-Mart, etc. just don't last long enough and the dog starts to stink too soon. It is worth the few extra dollars. Once you find one that woeks well, you can order it online.

14. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 9, 2008

I wash my dog with Pantene :D Pugs tend to have sensitive skin and I asked the vet what to use and he suggested a good quality shampoo. I tried several expensive dog shampoos and just didn't like the scent in them. One day I tried Pantene and it works great, I use the shampoo and conditioner on her and it leaves her fur soft and nice smelling. :thumb:

15. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Sep 9, 2008

Bath and Body Works sells Wallflowers. I have one plugged in by our door ... you get that whiff instead of dog whiff upon entering. Check the website. The last time I bought them I got a buy 1 get 1 deal. The Wallflowers seem to last longer than the store brands and the scents are overwhelming.

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 9, 2008

I agree w/ everyone else. You'll just have to clean/vacuum twice as often (or 3x's as often). Leave the windows open when you can so air can circulate. I don't really care for all those plug-in room fresheners nor do I care for candles. I have potpourri or some other type of freshener where I don't have to do any work to activate the scent.

I'm glad we have leather furniture in the most occupied room of our home. I think having leather furniture is great if you have pets because that smell just gets into fabric sofas/chairs & after so many times of spraying Febreeze on it, it just looks old, dingy & still smells.

17. Shaunsmith

Shaunsmith Guest

Aug 21, 2017

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2017
  18. alastair313

alastair313 Guest

Aug 21, 2017

I just let my Duffy(dog) on one spot on the love seat and I keep that spot secured with a towel I can wash.
    1-regularly sweep and vacuum
    2-Leave a couple of windows open all the time - it has a colossal effect.
    3- If you let your dog on the bed ... wash your bed blanket week after week.

Pick vacuum cleaner which could do mopping,sweeping and vacuuming.

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2017

Zombie thread.

20. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 22, 2017

Uh yeah. How do I do that? LOL I'm so guilty of this!! But it keeps Callie from roaming the house peeing everywhere and Clifford will whine until I put him on the bed. Just a touch spoiled. ;)

Upsadaisy likes this.
  21. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 22, 2017

Speaking of dogs... the ad at the bottom of this page on my computer is K9 Ballistics Dog Beds. Gotta love Big Brother watching.

22. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 22, 2017

I have a cat but it still gets stinky as we live in small apartment. We use Yankee Candle plugin scents, similar to Febreeze plugins or the Wallflower thing someone mentioned. We have three of them around the apartment and they overpower the cat scent (and our other scents).

23. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 23, 2017

That is so funny, SP.
    I let my little dogs sleep with me. One of the cats does, too. But, these dogs don't stink. I had a springer spaniel once that stunk to high heaven. Her ears were always wet and infected. Ugh. I loved her, but she couldn't come on the bed. Or couch.

24. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 23, 2017

One time I had a mutt I swear was part skunk. Even after a trip to the groomers she would smell like perfume and stink.

25. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

Sep 2, 2017

I have 3 dogs and I am paranoid about it... but when my mom and sister come over they say it doesn't smell like dog--- we have carpet in only our bedrooms, and while they dogs do come in the bedrooms during the day while we're home they sleep in kennels at night. The beds in their kennels are washable, which we wash every couple of weeks unless they get visibly dirty.

We opted for leather couches when we got new furniture and we have a doggy couch cover that both protects the couch and that's washable in case of a mess.

In general... sweep and mop often-- vacuum. Invest in a carpet cleaner-- though, my mom has a good one and while it worked well for awhile it just doesn't work as well anymore-- also, use cold water. After you shampoo to a quick once over with only water.

26. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 2, 2017

We have a dog and a cat, and I only ever notice a smell in our dog's room (yes, his own room... spoiled) when his sheets haven't been washed in awhile. We do not have any full carpet though. It's all hardwood, tile, or rugs. I think that helps some. He also just doesn't smell bad like some dogs will get, which is good since he hates baths!

27. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2017

Perhaps OP no longer has the problem - the dogs would be getting pretty old, and may no longer be alive to create the problem.

28. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Sep 4, 2017

I have a shih tzu and thankfully he doesn't smell too bad. He sleeps on my bed so I make sure to wash the sheets at least every week and wash his other bedding and toys. I love Bath and Body Works candles since they are strong! My favorite is fall scents. :)