Does anyone incorporate geocaching into their classroom?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by smannes, Jul 1, 2008.

1. smannes

smannes Companion

Jul 1, 2008

I would like to somehow incorporate geocaching. Part of our curriculum includes longitude & latitude. I have a portable GPS unit that we've been using to geocache for 5+ years now. I don't know how I can incorporate the idea of it with only 1 GPS. Any thoughts?

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 1, 2008

I was just talking about this with a colleague. Her brother teaches in Alaska and they actually need to teach navigation with GPS as a skill, because they are in the middle of NOWHERE and easily lost (20 kids, and just he and his wife at the school.)

They hide treasures around the school to be found and have the kids go searching. They set it up so it's fairly easy at first, and then make it harder. You could set some small little ones around your campus and start with that. I think you should see if some people will loan you their GPS so you have 4-5, enough for kids to work in small groups.

4. greatestteacher

greatestteacher Rookie

Jul 1, 2008

I wasn't going to post because I know nothing about geocaching, but MissFroggy, I love your signature :D

/unhijack thread

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 1, 2008

I'm working on a lesson with this for Talk Like A Pirate day.

Random Fact: My husband and I did this on our first day, but never found the box we were looking for. A year later, he suggested we try to find it again. Inside the small wooden treasure chest was my engagement ring.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/erikuppman/sets/1331148/

6. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2008

I just want to point out that if you've been using your GPS unit for five years and your location is really what it is, maybe you're not the best person to be presenting the lesson :D