Does Anyone Here Use Moodle?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by dave1mo, Sep 8, 2013.

1. dave1mo

dave1mo Comrade

Sep 8, 2013

I took a beginner's class to Moodle last fall when it appeared that I would have a class set of computers this year. That seemed to fall through, so I didn't bother continuing my exploration of the site. However, the week before school this year I discovered that I'd been given sole access to an old computer lab instead of paying to rewire my classroom. Had I known over the summer, I would have continued exploring and set up my own digital classroom. Instead, I'm taking an intermediate course on Moodle this fall and will set up my own classroom over our week-long fall break.

If you've used it, what features do you find to be the most helpful? I'd like to use it for anonymous peer editing (with me obviously being able to see who is making each comment) if at all possible, in addition to discussion forums and posting/submission of assignments to make grading more streamlined. Do these expectations seem reasonable?

3. flojo

flojo Rookie

Sep 9, 2013

I use moodle in my grad programme, so probably quite a different context. I find the discussion, one to one conversations and assignment uploading and feedback really useful. I've never used the anonymous peer editing.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2013

I have a Moodle for my class website. I like the discussion forums and have students submit their assignments--I can give feedback much more quickly when I type it than when I write it! I haven't used the peer editing feature, but hope to explore that this year. Right now, I'm just waiting for the computers to arrive in our new school and for the wireless network to be set up so that I can get started.

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Sep 9, 2013

I haven't used Moodle. I have used Edmodo.
    Thie year, I am using the free K12 version of Canvas ... it is FABULOUS!

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 9, 2013

My university online grad program uses Moodle for our classes. Prior to that, it was Blackboard. They're both about the same, but I guess Moodle is better. We're able to:

- view/listen to course lectures & it's recordings at a later time

- post in discussion forums

- take tests...timed or not

- view lectures containing powerpoint slides

- take end-of-the-course surveys

7. dave1mo

dave1mo Comrade

Sep 9, 2013

Now I'm debating whether to use Edmodo or Moodle...I see the benefits of both, but I'm just not sure which one better fits my classroom goals. We do have a dedicated Moodle server at my school though, I believe.

8. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Sep 9, 2013

I use Moodle for my chemistry class.

9. Sm2teach

Sm2teach Companion

Sep 13, 2013

I use Moodle in my 3rd Grade classroom. My district pushed it a few years back, but most found it really hard to use. I was one of the few that stuck it out. Now that I have done all the work setting it up, I don't want to change it. I probably don't use it to its ability. I have 4 sections set up. My main classroom page where I post a link to my weekly assignment sheet and copies of the spelling lists for my team teacher. I will occasionally post a link to homework where I will create a quiz that the students can do for extra credit. I use the forums to have class discussions. I also have three other sections devoted to Math, Science, and Social Studies. On these I post extra credit opportunities and links to games and videos on the different topics. It is mostly for the students and parents to access at home for extra help. Some years it doesn't seem worth it when only a few of my students have access to computers at home. This year quite a few of my students have internet at home though.