Does anyone here share their classroom with other groups?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MissSkippyjonJones, Jun 3, 2010.

1. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

Jun 3, 2010

I interviewed at a school and they mentioned that because they are on a church's property the classrooms are used for church and community activities after school hours and on the weekends. My question is, does anyone else teach at a school where this is the norm? How do you keep your and your student's belongings and supplies "safe?" I'm not complaining that the school does this; I am just concerned with keeping the things that I need for my classroom (decorations, materials, etc.) nice and available to me and my students during the week. Do you pack everything up? Keep things at a bare minimum? Leave everything out and hope for the best? Thanks for your help! :)

3. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jun 3, 2010

You might ask that to the school. They probably have set policies about how to deal with it.

4. MissSkippyjonJones

Jun 3, 2010

It wasn't really something I wanted to ask in the interview, so I wanted to get some ideas from teachers who are already doing it.

5. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Jun 3, 2010

My room is used by an after school program every day. I don't leave valuables in my room (and wouldn't even if there wasn't the program.) We share things like white board markers, and if there's materials and things I don't want them to touch, I put them in my desk.

I've only had one problem with groups after school, and it wasn't the program, it was a special after-school activity thing. They were on my computer (and froze it up), got into my desk, used all my tissue, etc. I e-mailed the head of the program and complained, and she resolved the issue.

6. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jun 3, 2010

We have had programs in my school before that use classrooms. We all dislike it because people move desks/use tissues, markers, and other supplies/make a mess. Hopefully this would not happen to you. I would just put things in my desk/file cabinet/drawers and hope for the best. Good luck with the interview(s)!

7. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 3, 2010

There have been other teachers here who have told some real horror stories about sharing rooms.

I would think twice about it -- I don't like people getting into my stuff unless I have given them permission.

8. taryn_liz

taryn_liz Rookie

Jun 3, 2010

I had a rough time sharing my classroom. I worked at a private preschool at a church, that used the room for other things on Sundays and Wednesdays. Many times, I would come in with my calendar all messed up, toys not put away correctly, markers that were mine were used, and my personal cabinet gone through. Just my experience though. Hopefully that school has more control over their things than mine did.

9. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jun 3, 2010

I share my room with after school religious education one day a week. It has been fine. I tell my students not to leave anything in the desks that they would care deeply about. As for me, everything stays in the room I just don't keep my gradebook out. I have had very little problems with this.

The only annoying this is that my students will always say their stuff was stolen because of course they couldn't have lost it themselves:)

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 3, 2010

I'm only in my homeroom one or two periods per day. The rest of the day I'm in someone else's homeroom.

It's a total non-issue. Each of us leaves the room as we found it.

11. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Jun 3, 2010

I used to be in an open classroom school. We would keep our desks and cabinets locked, but we rarely had any thefts. It was no big deal.

12. hac711

hac711 Companion

Jun 3, 2010

I share my classroom with religion class in the morning and weekend activities....big problems!!! I come in to Bibles on the floor (because that's where Bibles belong apparently) my dry erase markers tops not on (fun on a Monday) stuff "borrowed", tables and desks moved, had someone use a DRY ERASE MARKER on my smartboard (was so mad was incoherent) and "prizes" in my snakes cages (I think they need therapy now...) I really don't like it, it is hard when you are an organized person and someone doesn't realize that they are making it very hard for you to work...I would ask about it if you get the job, and def. would say something like, "since I am an organized person, could I meet with the Youth group (or whoever) advisor and discuss room usage?" that way it is already on the table if there are problems. Good Luck!!

13. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 4, 2010

I ran a day care in a church. It was terrible until we talked with the people teaching Sunday School. Our biggest problem was things not put away. When we discussed the issue, it helped.

And, I just accepted the fact that they will use the consumables, and did not make a big deal of it. My teachers locked up anything they did not want to share.

14. renmew

renmew Rookie

Jun 4, 2010

I work in a Catholic school and my classroom is used all weekend. Like someone else stated, my students make sure they don't leave anything out in the open. I turn all my computers off and put my board markers away. Sometimes my classroom library is messed with and once Skittles were squashed and all over the floor. I spoke up and nothing like that has happened since.

Another downside though - the weekend classes do not like it if I come in to sit at my desk and work while they are in there. I have done it anyways (during report card time) but I get nasty looks.

It's not a dealbreaker, just be aware.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 4, 2010

Wow, I can't imagine sitting there at the desk when the school has given permission for someone else to use the room. I'm very surprised that nasty looks are all you've gotten.

16. Blurazzberi

Blurazzberi Rookie

Jun 4, 2010

They do the same thing in my school. Almost every weekend they have some sort of thing in their. It wasn't a problem, they would come in and move the desks to the wall and set up their stuff. There wasn't any children or anything, so nothing ever got stolen that I know of. I took extra time in making sure there wasn't anything left around on the weekends though.

17. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jun 4, 2010

My chruch has 4 rooms of preschool T-W-Th. On Sundays, those rooms are used for Sunday School. One room isn't, because it's also the office for the preschool program, but the other rooms are used. They do have some lockable cabinets that they can put things in that they don't want to share... the preschool Sunay School classes do use the toys from those rooms, but the teachers always make sure it's cleaned up and they leave it the way it's found. Sunday School has its own supply closet, so I think they get most consumables from there rather than taking the preschool stuff. There's also a shelf or two that is specifically for Sunday School, and Preschool leaves it alone.

18. MissSkippyjonJones

Jun 4, 2010

Thanks everyone! :)

19. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Jun 4, 2010

My preschool classroom is also used by the Sunday School and I usually do not have any problems. If I have toys out that I do not want them to use, I turn the shelf around to face the wall.

20. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jun 4, 2010

Been there, done that (for several years) HATED it! Everything had to be put away at the end of the week. I couldn't have bulletin boards that stayed up but I had to look at the same darn ones they kept up for years in a row (even though some of my children were not of the same faith). They complained I had too much stuff. I had to come in early on Mondays to clean up. I would never do it again.