Does anyone here live in Kansas?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, May 14, 2012.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

May 14, 2012

What is it like where you live regarding living there in general, prices, weather, teaching jobs, etc?

My relatives live here where we are and my husbands relatives/family mainly live in Kansas. I have visited there a few trips but wonder what it is like.to live there.
    We want to move someday into a home and I know the homes are generally much lower than here in my state and bigger with a yard...I would feel rich there compared to what you get here...I would love a yard for future.kids.and our dog.to happily play etc....

Ive always stayed here because of my family being here...

3. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

May 14, 2012

Someone is bound to say,"We're not in Kansas any more!"

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 14, 2012

I'm in KS.

All ares of KS have a very low cost of living except for the Johnson County and Douglas County areas (Olathe, Lees Summit, Lenexa, Lawrence [home of KU :) ] in the north east part of the state.

I'm in SE Kansas. Really nice, really large homes in my area cost $300,000. e.g. http://www.realtor.com/realestatean...ve_Pittsburg_KS_66762_M77605-86182?source=web

Areas that cost more include: ones listed above, Wichita area, Topeka area. Everything else = low cost.

Summers are humid and miserable (for me). Winters are tolerable (snow and ice several times a season).

See education jobs here: http://www.kansasteachingjobs.com/index.php?p=funct.search.job

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 14, 2012

See my message above ... if you want more specific details, PM me.

6. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

May 15, 2012

I lived in Overland Park (near Kansas City) for many years. It's still my favorite place in the world! It's not the most affordable place in the world, but the education system is great, and you won't find a better place to live!

7. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

May 15, 2012

Im been to Shawnee, Olathe, and Overland Park when we have visited to see his family. ..I love the D'anna Farmstead place with the animals....good memories feeding the baby goats! :)

8. ami6880

ami6880 Companion

May 15, 2012

I live in Johnson County (Overland Park specifically) and really the cost of living is about the same as above. Rent is reasonable, of course you can pay a lot depending on apartments you pick. You can get a huge new house for 3-400k, but there are also older homes at decent prices. My school district seems to be hiring quite a bit this year, we are in a growing area. I second the humidity, it really is unbearable. Winters aren't bad, it doesn't get that cold, and we don't get that much snow. If you want to know anything else PM me :)