Does anyone here do Accelerated Math?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by heavens54, Oct 27, 2011.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Oct 27, 2011

If yes, I have a question about how to manage the scan trons and tops reports. How do you keep the different scan trons apart? the tests, diagnostics, practices and exercises? A folder? A binder? Thanks.

3. bluebutterfly

bluebutterfly Rookie

Oct 29, 2011

I have the students keep their scantrons in a folder in their desk.

4. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Oct 30, 2011

Our title math teacher handles this. She gives each class a different color folder. She puts a new scantron/bubble sheet in the folder with whatever worksheet the computer prints out on the left side of the folder. Graded/scored papers are kept on the right side. A sticker is given each time an objective is mastered, so she keeps a paper clip inside the folder and she just clips a sticker under it. Kids usually have a goal of 10 stickers/objectives mastered per quarter. They always turn in the whole folder to her. They are supposed to take out the graded sheets and take them home.

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 30, 2011

I used to. I used a binder, with a half sized manila envelope stapled into it for their scan card. My kids should never have more than one or two assignments in their binder. They do practice, practice, practice, then test, then exercise or diagnostic if necessary. When they scan, the first thing they do is the TOPS, and they sign up on the board for a meeting with me. We go over the TOPS, then they put it in a designated box. At the end if the day, I take them all out, record grades (I only recorded tests and exercises, never a practice), and send them home. They were never allowed to take the folder home, only that day's assignment, and whatever notes were necessary.

They also keep a record sheet with each assignment listed. I do this because I had some students become TOPS hoarders, since they didn't want to go over mistakes. Every assignment goes in order, and either my para our I would sign the record sheet after discussing the TOPS. On Fridays, I would check their record sheet for all TOPS to be done, and at least 3 practices and one test done that week. That's how I kept them working at pace. If their folder was in order and all assignments done, they got a piece of gum.

Oh, and they would also keep notes cards in that manilla envelope too. We take all notes on index cards. It could be closed, then they don't lose them.

I think that's all. I had the system down pat, but now we don't use it anymore. Makes me sad, I really liked AM.

6. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Oct 30, 2011

I'm not clear on a few things; what do you mean by a half size manila envelope? You'd have them keep the envelope in their binder? Did you punch holes in it or would they keep it in a pocket of the binder?

And I don't understand about the note cards? How did you do the note cards? Were these individual notes that you gave them?

Thanks all. I want to have my system down before we start. No matter how simple it will be, there will be those few that cannot follow it...it helps if I "get it" first, right?

7. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 30, 2011

I dont know what else they are called. Like the big gold envelope with the flap you close with the metal thingy, only about half as big. I would tuck one into the pocket of the folder, and staple it so it wouldn't come out.

**EDIT: I just realized I said binder at first, I meant folder, like a pocket folder. Oops sorry!

I have always used index cards for notes in math, rather than paper or a notebook. I just found it easier to help kids get organized. I could say "go get your adding fractions card", rather than having to search through a notebook. Some we laminate, for example, cards with perfect squares, or types of triangles. Then, because I teach sixth, seventh, and eighth, they keep the cards from year to year. We ring them together at the end of the year, and I keep them in a basket over the summer. When they go on to ninth, they take them with. So in AM, they store them in the envelope along with their scan card, and rarely are they lost.

I hope that makes more sense! Keep asking questions if it doesn't. It's one of those "I know what I mean" things!

8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 30, 2011

I love love love Acc. Math! Thanks to a new co-worker I'm much more organized this year. I bought pocket folders for the kids. One side is labeled Work in Progress and the other is TOPS. On the WiP side I sealed a legal sized envelope, cut off the end, and then glued it into the pocket. They keep their cards in here. (They are only ever allowed to have 3 - practice, exercise, and test.) They file their test TOPS in a seperate slot for me. I use these to assign a small grade (I take 3 of their tests, average them, and make is a 25 point grade.) They clean their folders out once a week, they only hold on to the practice/exercise TOPS for that long. That gives them enough time to match them to their practice and figure out the mistakes - or show them the questions they need to ask.

9. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Oct 30, 2011

WOW, I am so happy to find other teachers using this program. I plan to start using it second quarter. I've held back for various reasons. It is brand new to us this year.

What I am trying to avoid is the students having four or five scan trons out at the same time. Is it possible to just be working on one card (number) at a time? Also, do you give the diagnostic test first and then assign the approriate practice?

OK, kcjo13, you mean the 5 x 7 envelopes? As apposed to the 8 x 11 full page size?

Also, when do you do AM? Each day? If yes, for how long. Thanks.

10. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 30, 2011

They won't have more than one card out. The assignments go in order. So when they start a practice, maybe the form number is 1234, and it is problems 1-23. They scan that, and the next practice that prints is form number 1234, problems 24-41. So on, and so on, until they are ready to test. Then the test will print, with a different form number, which they can put on the back on their practice scan card.

I assigned objectives based on what notes I gave. They would start out, and only if they missed a bunch (and it gave them an intervene), would I print a diagnostic or exercise. This rarely happened, because we had done a ton of examples and notes already when they started.

Sometimes, they would miss a bunch because of a scan card error (getting off by a number is brutal). I am lenient on this about once, but after that I get pretty strict-I have sixth graders, they should be able to fill out a bubble sheet. One thing that helps is I have them circle the letter, then write it in large print next to the number on the assignment. That way when they are filling out the scan card, they are less likely to get off. Some kids are able to stop doing this once they get the hang of it, some never do.

Yes, I guess that would have been the easy way to explain the envelopes! 5x7 sized. I was vegging on the couch, not thinking very well!

When I used AM, I did math first thing in the morning. Some people think AM is either an "extra" or gets the teacher out of teaching, but that's far from the truth. I followed my math text book, and the standards for my school and state, and taught math based on the book every day. Then, instead of using the book assignments, I used AM as their only assignments.

At the beginning of the year, I would start out with whole group lectures, notes, etc. Then, I would find that the class would naturally break into about 3 groups. One group would fly through everything, and I would meet with them about every 2 days, give more notes, and turn them loose. This group, my highs, would usually make it through all of the sixth grade material, and about half of the seventh grade.

My middle group I would meet about every day, sometimes a little less. These were the kids working on level, just at a slower pace than the highs. They would make it through the sixth grade, occasionally into seventh grade.

My low kids I would see every day, no exceptions. Repetition, repetition, repetition. I would sometimes have to start them out in a lower grade level, but with the same concepts. So my highs might be adding and subtracting mixed numbers, the middles would be adding and subtracting unlike fractions, and the lows would be adding like fractions from the fifth grade library. For this group, many times I would cut out objectives that weren't absolutely necessary. They might not always get all of the estimating objectives, or the word problems ones. For them, mastering the computation was sometimes a feat!

Sometimes we would have whole group stuff, but not that often. Naturally, we did this every day. It would take just over an hour for all three groups, about 10-15 mins for the highs, 15-20 for the middles, and 25-30 for the lows. I just loved the natural differentiation!

11. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Oct 30, 2011

My low kids I would see every day, no exceptions. Repetition, repetition, repetition. I would sometimes have to start them out in a lower grade level, but with the same concepts.

Is there a way to control the levels? I thought I was stuck with only grade level objectives? How can I add in the lower grade and then the upper grade if they finish their grade level? If I have this ability, that could really help me with my wide range of learning skills.

12. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 30, 2011

My school gives us access. I can't tel you without looking at it, but it is one of the options to the left of the screen (if you are using the online version). I would only import the objectives I wanted from other grades, rather than the whole library. This is really the biggest benefit of AM, being able to differentiate.

Geez, this whole conversation is really making me miss my AM! I like our new series, but I sure did like AM a lot. It took me several years to get it running just like I wanted it. I had a fabulous para that was in my math class for all of those years, so between her and me, we were a well oiled math machine. The kids loved it, because they could work to mastery, not just when it was time to move on. Sigh. The memories...

13. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Oct 31, 2011

It is a good program. I can't wait to get it going full steam. I think my students will really like it.

Did you also use the math facts in a flash? Need to get that going too.

Thanks for all of your input. I feel a little more confident about implementing it now...

14. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 31, 2011

I used to use MFIAF. I couldn't always find the time. I used it for free time for most students, but would make some do it.