Does anyone have trouble sleeping...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by **Mrs.A**, Jul 25, 2009.

1. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Jul 25, 2009

While getting ready for the new year.. I'm having a hard time settling down at night even though I'm completely exhausted. My mind won't settle down. I've got so much going on and so many ideas running through my mind...Make it stop!! :(

3. Iteach782

Iteach782 Comrade

Jul 25, 2009

Could it also be the weather maybe? I know it's difficult sleeping when it's too warm.

As for the difficulty having your mind settle down, I know the feeling. I had a case of insomnia last year during my summer vacation. I believe I went through 10+ days of sleepless nights and I even visited the doctor. I realized that I was very anxious about my masters program I was about to start on. I think once I had realized the problem is when I finally was able to fall asleep again.

4. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jul 25, 2009

Yes, I have trouble sleeping, for much of the same reason. What works for me is focusing on my breath and just letting those other thoughts pass by. If you just let the other thoughts float away and focus on something like your breath or a certain part of your body, it should help you with calming the racing thoughts.

5. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 25, 2009

Everything is so uncertain--will I get a job, then I get worried about ever even getting an interview, will I have to do the clinical teaching--if so, how am I going to stay current on my bills and still do everything I need to do to help the family business. Once I finally get to sleep, this is what my "dreams" or nightmares are made of.

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 25, 2009

I know you are back already Mrs. A, but I am realizing all those things I was supposed to do this month haven't quite gotten done :whistle:. I really should put a notebook or something near my bed because I am always lying there making a mental list of things I need to do-it takes me awhile to fall asleep -I'm tired but my mind just won't quit.

7. tiffharmon2001

tiffharmon2001 Comrade

Jul 25, 2009

My sleeplessness usually lasts until around Christmas break. I try to take advantage of it by working on things late at night while everyone else is sleeping. That's the best time at my house to get laundry folded, lesson plans done, etc.

8. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jul 25, 2009

At the beginning of school, when I can't get my mind to settle down and STOP thinking about stuff, the only thing that will help me is to take one PM aspirin an hour or two before I go to bed. It relaxes me and really does help me sleep. If you only take one and early enough, you don't wake up drowsy.

9. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jul 25, 2009

Insomnia has been my partner for about 3 years! Recently, a doctor suggested that I might have too much adrenaline in my system at the end of the day, even though I feel exhausted. The adrenaline needs to get used up before bed. He suggests a long walk in the evening - not for cardio workout, just to use up some energy. So I will try that and let you all know what happens.

I can see that teachers, what with running all day long and then not being able to "turnoff" the brain, might have an excess of adrenaline. You might try a 30 minute walk after dinner, keep the TV off, drink Chamomile tea, just do calm things after dinner if you can.

10. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jul 25, 2009

I 've had trouble sleeping for most of the summer, but it's actually improved since I started working up in my classroom the last two weeks. Exhaustion serves me well. :)

11. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Jul 25, 2009

I have had trouble sleeping for the past few months, but a lot of it was end-of-year and pregnancy related stuff. Now it is new baby and thinking of new school year stuff...

Chamomile tea, or other relaxing flavors work well, as does keeping t.v. off, like bonneb mentioned. I like to read a fun book to relax, or crochet. I have come up with some of my better classroom ideas during the "I can't sleep" times -- just not this year. ;) Too much of the baby stuff floating around in my head to focus on school.

12. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Jul 25, 2009

Yeah, I tried going to bed early last night...like 9. Only to wake up at 2am. So I stayed awake (browsing AtoZ of course) until 3:30am! When you find the antidote, I want some!