Does anyone have the galaxy s3?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by waterfall, Nov 24, 2012.

1. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Nov 24, 2012

How do you feel about the size of the phone? I love the big screen for actually looking at sites and things like that, but the phone itself is so large I'm afraid it would feel awkward, and it looks like it would be impossible to do anything with just one hand. Do you really notice/does it bother you or did you get used to it? I am deciding between that one and the iphone 5. I've looked at all the reviews and the only thing I'm still hung up on is how wide the phone is. One of the main reasons I'm getting a smartphone is for the navigation (especially to use when walking for downtown, I am AWFUL at directions) and I have heard apple's system is pretty terrible on the iphone 5.

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 24, 2012

Just an FYI there is an awesome navigation app called waze. I've used it for walking and driving. I have an iPhone (3gs).

4. Ms B IL

Ms B IL Rookie

Nov 24, 2012

I do have the phone. I love the size for viewing things online, but it is a little large for a phone. I have small hands and it is easy to hold with one hand, but obviously you need the other hand to do anything on the screen. The biggest thing I would worry about is how fragile the phone is. I broke mine in one day and was very happy I had insurance on it to replace it. Looking online it appears to be a common problem and I am quite clumsy.

The navigation I've used through Google has been more than adequate and I'm learning a new city so I use the navigation to go just about everywhere except the grocery store at this point.

Overall I am happy with the phone, but careful with it because I don't want to break it again. (I'd suggest screen protectors and a case.)

5. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Nov 24, 2012

Why is it more easier to break?

I'm going by BB today, to check the phone out. I do need to try and justify the price (in my own mind), so tell me some cool/great things that you do with your phone (that I can't with my beater phone).

6. Ms B IL

Ms B IL Rookie

Nov 24, 2012

The phone is easier to break the screen on. I'm not sure exactly why that is, but the screen is made out of glass rather than a sort of plastic so it cracks like glass. The glass goes pretty much to the edge of the phone so any slight bump to the right spot will leave you with a web of cracks on the screen.

It really is a cool phone. I've been playing with it a bit since I got it, but, honestly, any phone is much cooler than my old non-smart phone I had for three years before this. Features that I think are new on this that I have found useful: if your phone rings and you want to mute it you can just turn it face down on any surface; the phone recognizes when you are looking at it and when you are not, then dims the screen to save battery when it does not detect you; you can set the lock to unlock with your face (but this does not work well in the dark); the S-voice is similar to Siri; the free apps through Google include a lot of really cool things like free navigation updated with traffic conditions and Google books (but those aren't exclusive to this phone, just new to me).

I'm sure there are more things about it that are cool, I just haven't figured them out yet in the week I've had the phone.

7. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Nov 24, 2012

I have had the phone for a few months now. I really hesitated getting it because I really liked my "dumb" phone because it was easy to text on (had button qwerty board) and the battery lasted a very long time. I do like the SIII and yes the size can be annoying (its too big to stick in my pants pockets) and the battery has to be charged every day. But having internet, apps, music, decent camera and mobile hot spot has been wonderful! I have a screen protector on it and a protective case on the back so I haven't had any problems with it getting damaged (fingers crossed).

8. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Nov 24, 2012

I have one and love it. The large screen is a plus for me as I do a lot of web browsing. I'm on my phone right now.

I can use one hand to dial or text.

I do have a screen protector and cover and have had no issues with damage even though I've dropped it a few times.

It fits in the pockets of most of my pants.

The battery lasts me all day. I'm just in the habit of charging it overnight. If I'm using my GPS I can plug it into my car charger if necessary.

I don't use the voice command feature often except to call my husband when I'm driving.

9. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Nov 25, 2012

I was playing around with one at the store today and I think I would get used to the size. It's so hard to choose one! I'll agree with several others though...I've only had a "regular" phone up to this point, so anything is going to be really awesome in comparison.

I do have a gps for the car, but things in the city are constantly changing and the gps doesn't update itself, it's just set from the time you buy it. I've had several instances where streets have changed or even the location of a business has changed and the gps takes me somewhere totally random...and then I have no access to internet to look up where I'm really supposed to be. Last week I was supposed to be meeting a meetup group in a nearby neighborhood and ended up getting lost because of a road detour...I had my ipad with me and was driving around looking for a mcdonald's or starbucks for the internet, and my gps took me to three different locations that must have been a mcdonalds at one point but had changed. I finally ended up having to just go home and forget the whole thing, and my gps is only a year old! The same thing has happened to me several times. I've also been nervous about taking public transportation to downtown because the bus will drop you off 1/4-1/2 a mile or so from where you actually want to go and I'm afraid I'd get lost walking since I'm not that familiar with the city yet.

10. wcormode

wcormode Rookie

Dec 3, 2012

I have it and I love it. But I am 6'2" so it fits my hands perfectly.