Does anyone have more than one sensory table at a time?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Hummingbrd, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Hummingbrd

Hummingbrd Rookie

Aug 22, 2009

I'm in a new classroom this year which is very large and has two sensory tables. I have pinto beans right now in one and would like to put water in the other (larger) one. I'd like to try it but worry about the children wanting to go back and forth (with wet hands!)
    My other option is to just use one at a time.

Has anyone tried this before?

3. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Aug 22, 2009

I have a water and sand table. At the beginning of the year I usually rotate having one or the other opened each day. Towards the middle to end of the year I will sometimes have both open. You could have a hand towel near the water table for children to dry their hands when finished. Just model hand drying at the beginning of the year.

4. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Aug 22, 2009

Do you have a sensory table on the playground? If not, then I would take one to the playground to be used outside.

5. Hummingbrd

Hummingbrd Rookie

Aug 22, 2009

I used the water table on the playground at my former school because the playground was right outside my door. I loved having it out there and it was easy to roll in after school each day.
    At this school we have quite a hike to get to the playground and they won't let us keep it out there overnight (due to vandalism in the area). :(

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 22, 2009

I have seen Head Start classrooms with 2 sensory tables. One was a constant--like rice or cornmeal. The other one rotated items frequently. At Christmas, bows; at Holloween, pumpkins.

7. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Aug 22, 2009

I have 3 sensory tables: one is really a sandbox above ground level. It's outside. The other one is outside. It usually contains water or dirt, mud and and other items. The third one is inside. Right now it has sensory balls.

8. Alesia

Alesia Companion

Aug 22, 2009

I usually have something( right now sand and potting soil) in my sensory table and water available in large tubs for the children to use. My kids know that they have to wash their hands after they play with each sensory item.

9. preschoolheart

preschoolheart Rookie

Aug 23, 2009

Last year I had a large table which pretty much always had sand in it, then a smaller sensory table that changed more frequently. When it was warmer out, I'd usually put water in it (with rocks, fish, gems, or something interesting), in the winter we'd put fake snow, sometimes we put leaves, when we did a bakery unit we put cornmeal or flour in it.
    I don't think we had any problems with kids going from one to the other or things getting mixed together. When we had water in the one table the kids knew to use the towel hanging next to it to dry their hands when they finished. With other materials that were messy, the kids would just wash their hands when they finished. It's all a matter of teaching them in the beginning of the year how to do things.

10. A_Pre-K_Teacher

A_Pre-K_Teacher Rookie

Aug 23, 2009

I have 2 sensory tables. One always has sand in it, I just rotate my items in the sand table based on what my themes are. The other table I have I rotate whats inside. My students use paper towels to dry their hands before moving to something different, I usually do not have a problem. Good luck!

11. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Aug 23, 2009

I am lucky this year to have two. One is a large wooden divided table which I'm going to put water in both sides for now. My smaller unit I put sand in and will be keeping it out on our courtyard that connects to our classroom.

Last year I bought four large aluminum trays with sides. We did numerous goopy activities in these--pumpkin guts, goop (cornstarch and water), homemade playdough, jello, kids' bath foam. It made it easy to wash out in the sink. I'll probably do this again.