Does anyone have fun project ideas?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Emmy Jo, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Emmy Jo

Emmy Jo Rookie

Nov 24, 2008

Hi! I am looking for some new at-home project ideas for my class. I'd like to have them do a creative project each quarter, but so far I only have three ideas that I used last year, so I need at least one more. What kind of projects (book reports, history or science projects, or theme projects) do you do with your first graders?

Just to get an idea of what I'm looking for, here's the ones I use so far:

-- Animal Skins project (part of the Native Americans and Pilgrims unit):
    Children cut a grocery bag to look like an animal skin. They then decorate it with pictographs that tell a story and present their story orally to the class.

-- Dressed for the Weather project (part of the weather unit):
    Children pick a type of weather. They dress a paper doll appropriately for that kind of weather, then mount it on a small posterboard (on which they have drawn a weather-related background scene). They draw a thermometer and set it to the right temperature, and then they write three sentences on the back telling how they have dressed their doll and why.

-- State report (part of our US history and geography unit):
    Students cut a piece of posterboard in the shape of their chosen state, then decorate it with words/pictures telling the state capital, year it became a state, state flower, state bird, and one fun place to visit in the state.

What kind of creative projects do you have your first-graders do? Thanks!

3. paola66

paola66 Rookie

Nov 28, 2008

Hi! You can prepare an album with trees or flower of your country. In one page student can write down information about flora, in the other page they can stick picture of them.

4. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Nov 28, 2008

We give the students a big turkey. 24by24 est. They take it home and decorate it anyway they want. We hang them in the hall and everyone enjoys the display each year. (feathers, buttons, cereal, pasta, glitter, and etc.)

5. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Nov 28, 2008

what are your other science and ss units?

6. Emmy Jo

Emmy Jo Rookie

Dec 2, 2008

For science, we do:
    Planets/Space
    The Five Senses
    Plants
    Animals
    Insects
    Seasons
    Weather
    Snow
    The Ocean
    Forces and Motion

For social studies, we do:
    Community helpers (but we're already done with this for the year)
    Symbols of the United States
    Important Americans
    U.S. Geography
    World Geography
    Map skills

I'd love to hear any ideas you have for projects involving these.

7. ChristieABC

ChristieABC Rookie

Dec 3, 2008

At home projects

Every year, I send home a paper plate for the students to cut out or draw foods from each of the food groups. I hang them on a Thanksgiving Board with the title: Gobblin' Good Grub

We also do a Great Inventions Project. The students research any item they wish with their parents and write a short report. They also include and illustration of the product they chose.
    Hope these help.

8. Daisha

Daisha Companion

Jul 1, 2009

This is a great thread, because I was really looking for a list of science/ss units and fun ideas to go with them.

9. alberta

alberta New Member

Jul 3, 2009

I did a recycling theme during the month of April. I got my students to go home and find "clean" trash. With this they made anything they wanted to make. Some of the students were really creative. You could get them to write a report to go with it.

10. cheer

cheer Comrade

Jul 4, 2009

September - community- send home a quilt square from Oriental trading and have the family decorate it telling us all about their family and what they like to do together. We then tie them together after presentations and talk about how we all are now a classroom community.

October- maps - Make a map of their room including a map key, compass rose, and symbols of objects in the room.

November- Native American- everyone is assigned a tribe. They are (as a family) asked to research it and make a small model of the tribes home and fill out small worksheet about their tribe. This project is a family project to foster family unity.

February- Dental health- Poster project to talk about why its important to take care of their teeth and how to take care of their teeth.

March-END of March- Earth Day- Children bring in clean trash and we walk to the recycling bins. They are also asked to complete another quilt depicting how their family will help keep the planet clean. They will present it to the class and display them in the hall.

April - DEAR Day- LITERACY BAG- Decorative bags go home all with different themes. They are required to read the book and complete the activity at home. Return to shool