Does Anyone Have Any Assistants/Aides?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms. I, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 5, 2012

Just out of curiosity, will anyone have any assts. this year? If so, do you do anything for that person to start the year off on the right foot or just to do something pleasant?

I'll have 2 aides this yr who will alternate their weeks with me. I've never worked w/ them before. One just got hired, but I know her & the other, who I also know has been around for unteen yrs. I plan to take them to lunch on the first day we meet just to start the yr off nicely & kind of as a thank you in advance. I also don't know them that well, so it will be a great chance to get to know them better!

Last yr, I had an aide every other wk. I didn't start working at the start of that yr, but I got her a gift card at the end to thank her for her hard work.

3. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

Aug 5, 2012

Lunch sounds like a great idea! I'm sure they'll appreciate it!

4. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Aug 5, 2012

Thankfully no. I know this is not the way it is everywhere, but the aides at our school are pretty useless. They don't do much of anything. I think it's a training issue. I don't think our school does any. I don't have time to manage an aide and my class.

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 5, 2012

We have an adie that the 6 kindergarten teachers share. I usually get something for all of the teachers and the same thing for her. It is usually smnall stuff like a note card set, hand sanitizer/lotion, etc... I do the same thing at Christmas and we have a paraprofessional day and we get her something as a group.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2012

I have two aides. One is really great, the other could do more. We always have a lunch before school starts, and I get them gifts at the end of the year.

7. janlee

janlee Devotee

Aug 5, 2012

Aides in my district cannot teach, they can only help the teacher. For example they can grade work, answer a question a student has, read directions, make copies, read a story aloud during quiet time, etc. Teaching assistants can teach lessons, work one on one with a student, and in some cases if the classroom teacher is absent act as the substitite. Aides and TA's are usually given a gift at the end of the year. They aren't taken out to lunch.

8. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2012

I will have a para for one of my students. It's my first time with one. We won't be able to do lunch because she'll go to lunch with him, but I've met her a few times before.

I plan on letting her take a bit of a lead with the student in the beginning of the year because she knows him from last year. But I also want to be clear with our policies for behavior, consequences and student work so that she knows what we expect and she can help us hold him to those standards.

9. Ilovesummer

Ilovesummer Companion

Aug 5, 2012

I usually get my aide a gift card at Christmas, and at the end of the school year. I honestly hadn't thought about getting her anything at the beginning of the school year, but I like the idea of getting her a little token "welcome back" gift, so I may do that this year.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2012

No. It was a budget cut this year.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2012

Ms I, lunch sounds like a thoughtful gesture...an aide who's been around for 'upteen' years could be very helpful in your new situation...especially since you've said numerous times how more will be expected of you this year.

12. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 5, 2012

Me, too!

My classroom aide works 5 hours a week. She is a true gift. Head and shoulders above my expectations of any aide. I have never felt that I mark occasions well, so this is a good time to try.

My daughter also has a brand new teacher this year, a career changer from the tech business (like me). I want to make her welcome. I'm thinking a gift card to an office store or IKEA since she keeps running off to buy something for her classroom.

13. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Aug 5, 2012

I had an aide once in 26 years, and she was an older lady who didn't know ANYTHING about literature or grammar. It was like having another student to deal with. But that was only one year. Even when I had over 40 students, with 8 included students, I didn't have an aide. Those of you with a good aide who is allowed to help grade: appreciate him/her! You're so fortunate!

14. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 5, 2012

I sure do, Mamacita. She has a degree from Princeton, was the President of the PTA two years ago and is still on the team, and her daughter was in my room for three years. Most importantly, she is the voice-of-reason and knows what to do in just about every situation. She reminds me of things I forget sometimes. If we had not met as parent/teacher, I would have been friends with her anyway. We're only 9 months apart in age, too.

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2012

I'll have an amazing educational assistant working in my classroom for part of each day this coming year. I've worked with her in the past and, after working with the wee ones the past couple of years, she's finally back with the older kids and I'm so excited! I won't get her anything to start the year, but will at Christmas and the end of the year and will bring her in coffee every couple of weeks. She's a friend as well as a colleague, so starting the year with a gift would feel awkward to us both. I do think it's a lovely gesture in a new working relationship.

16. tootgravytrain

tootgravytrain Comrade

Aug 6, 2012

I have a total of 4 inmate "tutors" - two for the morning session and two in the afternoon. Two have "bodies" (in for some sort of murder), one has a B & E charge with a gun spec and the other in for drug trafficking.

Never in my over seven years here have I had such a great team of tutors! Three out of the four can carry the classroom all by themselves, and boy the temptation is sure there, but A) I minimize that because of the "control" factor on the inside, and B) the students don't mind one of "them" going to the board occasionally, but they want me up there, not "one of them."

Teaching in a prison makes the teacher not only a teacher, but we have so many other duties, up to and including security. I don't like boring people with details, but it's nice to have a competent crew of assistant/tutors who can "take over" when I get jammed up.

They are awesome at "working the room" as I call it - assisting guys who are needing help when, after all, there's only one of me and I can't get to everyone.

I expect great success now and in the future because of them.

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 6, 2012

Mamacita, that's too bad that your ex-aide wasn't knowledgeable to you. I'd definitely kind of pick the brain of my aide who's been around for ages, EXCEPT...after just ONE DAY, I won't be seeing my aides all year long! That's the way the head SLPs planned this schedule...on my non-work day. Don't know if they did that deliberately or not, but, nevertheless, I'll leave info for them to do like I did with the other aide last yr!

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2012

Are these aides one-on-one with the special needs kids with whom you'll be working or aides who are there specifically for your direction?

19. applecore

applecore Devotee

Aug 6, 2012

Oh my what a sweet idea! I'm sure they'll be so thankful you thought of them to spend the time to get to know them.

I've had two in the past for 30 minutes two times a day; best hour of my life with some amazing ladies. This year, I'm just hoping for one with all the budget cuts.

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 7, 2012

The lunch with the aide #1 was a success! We talked & although the aide & I have had small talk a few times in the past, I think she now has a nice picture of the kind of person I am. I also told her I welcome any & all info/tips, etc. she has! It was a nice day. Now, onto the same w/ aide #2 next week!