Does anyone have administrators that micromanage what you do in the classroom?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Aces

Aces Habitué

Mar 31, 2019

I wanted to add that in the business world, if we stopped treating employees like numbers and started treating them like people with unique talents and stories then we would truly see a new dawn.

2. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Mar 31, 2019

This is true. Is the business world really what we ought to be emulating in our schools?

Aces likes this.
  3. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Mar 31, 2019

So the alternative is to what, emulate non-real world situations for students? That helps them how?

4. futuremathsprof

Mar 31, 2019

A company cannot stay in business if you just rely on intuition. You have to use the data to make important mathematical decisions for pretty much everything.

greendream likes this.
  5. Aces

Aces Habitué

Mar 31, 2019

My uncle is a business man. He's a VP at Walmart. You know what he would tell you? He would tell you that when big companies take care of their employees, empower them, care for them, and help them rise, they will always take care of the customers who take care of the business. Your employees are the backbone of your business. That's what makes your company great or terrible. If you always treat them like numbers, don't be surprised when you drive out the great and you're left with the terrible.

Backroads, swansong1 and MsCatherine like this.
  6. MsCatherine

MsCatherine Rookie

Mar 31, 2019

Yes, our main priority is to teach, but as teachers we also need to read our class and be flexible at times. We do much more than just "teach". Building relationships, inspiring students and promoting health and well-being are just as important.

After a 4 hour test, it is not unreasonable to give them a break. You might deliver a regular lesson, but it isn't very useful if they are overwhelmed and don't absorb the information. When I was a student, we had a bunch of fun activities each day after testing and a class party at the end. I don't think my results or education suffered. I remember my 8 year old self learning some awesome magic tricks from my teacher and feeling a lot less stress.
    Sometimes, less is more. So many studies show that breaks help increase student productivity.

I rarely have time to show students movies, but if there are only 5 students in my class the day before the break, I am going to find a movie to show them.

And being docked on an evaluation for 2 minutes of clean up? Cleaning up is part of doing science.

7. futuremathsprof

Mar 31, 2019

I’m not saying that you should treat them as numbers, but that you *should* use numbers for evaluation purposes. ALL businesses do this as do governments the world over. After all, all measurements are numerical or numerical in nature. To think or say otherwise is disingenuous.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  8. Aces

Aces Habitué

Mar 31, 2019

...I never said you shouldn't?

9. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 1, 2019

I couldn't help wonder if it were the job speaking instead of the man.

10. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 1, 2019

I like data just fine.

But while grades and scores may be numbers, people aren't.

And I worry too much of the data measured is more or less useless data chosen more for the ease of data collected than any real long-term focus of improvement.

I'm a clock-watcher by nature. I like timeliness and I like things to fit into neat little time slots. But can we really prove, with data, that two more minutes of a lesson taught for the sake of adding two minutes while taking away breaks and processing time really and significantly improve test scores? And not just test scores, future long-term success of students? Or is does it just sound nice and filling in every minute just something easy to measure?

11. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 1, 2019

A company also can't stay in business if it doesn't make quality use of its employees. Successful companies care about talent, creativity, and drive in their employees. They look for those qualities. They work to keep great employees. Businesses are incredibly interpersonal.

Do those drive those lovely business numbers? That they do. But they're taking care to not put the cart before the horse.

12. Nicolebeason

Nicolebeason Rookie

Apr 27, 2019

13. Nicolebeason

Nicolebeason Rookie

Apr 27, 2019

Yes, indeed I did have a micromanaging experience and it was very stress inducing; prior to this, I was used to having my own classroom, developing my own lesson plans, etc. and soooo...not pleasant to say the least.