Does anyone have a link with accurate information on Article 7 deadlines?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by SpecialEdTeache, Jun 14, 2010.

1. SpecialEdTeache

SpecialEdTeache Companion

Jun 14, 2010

I am wondering if anyone has an article or a link that gives the most up to date deadlines/timelines for teachers in SPED? I know this sounds basic, and it is, but there have been some changes to Article 7 and I'm wondering if anyone has all of our deadlines/timelines in a Word document or other place that you would be willing to share (e.g. how many days to write an IEP after the referral, how many days to start services after diagnosis, etc.)?

Thanks so much for anyone who can help! This will be my first year teaching SPED, if I get the job I'm pursuing, and I do so want to get everything right! Plus they may ask some questions about it at the interview this week. My course that covered all of the laws was in 2005 and I know my information is outdated so no need to look there.

Thanks everyone for your help!

3. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 14, 2010

4. SpecialEdTeache

Jun 15, 2010

Thanks bros,

That would be helpful to look things up and do some research. If you are a SPEd teacher, what are the BASIC things I need to know as far as how many days I have to implement IEPs and services after referrals and the diagnosis, that sort of thing (if you feel like sharing that with me and know off the top of your head)? That's what I'm talking about mainly.

Here is what KareBear posted a couple years ago:
    * An evaluation must be completed within 60 days of receiving parent consent.
    * The IEP must be completed 120 days from initial referral OR within 90 days of consent.
    * Parent must receive a copy of the ETR (evaluation team report) within 14 days of the meeting OR before the IEP meeting whichever is first.
    * The final copy of an IEP must be given to parents no later than 30 days after the IEP meeting.

I tried reading Article 7 yesterday to see if those timelines are still in effect and there was just so much legal jargon, I couldn't get through it and find what I was looking for.

5. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 15, 2010

I am an advocate who is studying to be a teaching. I know a bit.

The school has 60 school days after the request to perform the evaluation (The parents request counts as consent if the parent specifically states in the letter of request that they are giving their consent for testing) for sped.

For the second:
    http://www.wrightslaw.com/blog/?p=120

I assume an ETR is pretty much all of the reports that the school performs on the child?

For this one: http://www.wrightslaw.com/blog/?p=67

The parent must be given a copy of it.

If they request it before the meeting, they must be given a copy before the meeting. A copy being given 5 minutes before the meeting does not count.

For getting an IEP:
    http://www.wrightslaw.com/blog/?p=107

In NJ, I would receive my IEPs about a week to two weeks after the meeting.

Basically, the school district should send it as soon as the final copy of the IEP is done.

Try reading IDEIA, it might be a bit easier to read. At least it is for me vs. the New Jersey Administrative Code

6. SpecialEdTeache

Jun 15, 2010

Gosh, thanks so much! I took what KareBear wrote with me to my interview this morning and the head of the SPED Dept. said one of them had changed. I said I knew some of them had and that I would look up and write down all of my timelines and put them in an accessible folder to use throughout the year and do everything in compliance and check with her to make sure I had all of them correct. She seemed to understand that I'm in the throes of my last research project and didn't have the time to do the other research now. So, we will see. Thanks again. Your links are VERY helpful.

She also told me about a more reader friendly link to understand Article 7. I'll see if I can find that as soon as this paper is turned in and share it if you're interested.

7. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 15, 2010

Sure, the link will be great for everyone here.

Wrightslaw is a great site if you need info on Section 504 and IEPs.

8. SpecialEdTeache

9. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 18, 2010

10. SpecialEdTeache

Jun 19, 2010

Those look good! Thanks!

11. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 19, 2010

Also, I was reading up a bit on the laws:
    After the 60 day consent is given for an evaluation, this 60 day (Depends on the state if it is business day or not) timeline includes the eligibility meeting/IEP meeting attached to it.

12. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Jun 19, 2010

Also you have to consider - while the school is in session. So if the request for the assessment was made on June 18 (for example it was the last day of school), nobody is going to do an assessment over the summer. So it kind of rolls over to the fall when the school starts.

13. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jun 19, 2010

Can you specify which part has changed? I tend to be the compliance "police" at my school when others aren't on top of it. I'm also the lead sp ed teacher and get asked by higher ups how to do things etc.

14. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 20, 2010

Another thing that should be remembered is that IEP meetings can be held during the summer.

15. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jun 20, 2010

I will do anythi g in my power to have a meeting before summer. I will not have a summer mtg. I will code it as non compliant staff not available in the fall. I know for a fact the reg ed teachers wouldn't come in and I'm sure not given any bonus for doing it and I sign a 180 day contract. Sounds bad but I already give way more to my job for IEPs than my family so sorry but summers are mine.

16. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 21, 2010

Yeah

The only cases i've heard of summer IEP meetings are:
    A. At year-round districts
    B. To put into place DP rulings
    C. When the school tries to fight Stay Put

17. SpecialEdTeache

Jul 8, 2010

Sorry for taking so long to respond. I finished up my master's on June 30th. Praise the Lord! And, I didn't get either of the functunal academic jobs that I interviewed for, but they both said I interviewed well and both went with the person who had experience in FA classroom. The second told me it was a really hard decision and he thought I would get a job and it is right around the corner. I appreciated his encouragement esp. since I didn't ask what I could have done better b/c I was sick at the doctor's office when he called.

I found a link of what parents need to know on our state doe website, and it says in our state, for the initial eval, the the CCC has to convene within 50 school days of the date the school receives the parents' written consent.

If the child has been in RTI and has not made adequate progress, the school must conduct the initial eval. and convene the CCC within 20 school days of the date it receives the parents' written consent.

I think I've finally found the correct link for my state. Finally! Thanks for hangin in there with me :) I hopefully have another interview tomorrow and want to be up on all the timelines.

I don't see the number 50 in the Feb. 1, 2010 Article 7 Revisions that I printed out and quickly scanned, so maybe that is just in our state. I know it was 60 days before.