Does anyone have a date for when they plan to go back

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Tired Teacher, Oct 31, 2020.

1. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Oct 31, 2020

to in person? They do it really weird here, so schools in 1 place may be shut while ( week, days, weekend) others are open. It makes no sense to me. They finally put an end to "in Person" for kids, but teachers kids and sped kids are still coming here.

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 31, 2020

We were supposed to start full in-person classes the first week of August, but we ended up postponing until August 24 with a hybrid start. Kids had the option of in-person/hybrid, remote regular classroom work, or remote independent work. We teach all three of those options. However, when that time rolled around, we started all virtual. Teachers work from the building, and all kids are remote. We did not start with in-person classes until two weeks ago. Half of each grade level comes on Monday/Tuesday. The other half comes Thursday/Friday. No kids Wednesdays. We are back remote starting Monday because our community Covid numbers are so high. I haven't been to work in-person at all. I'm on partial medical leave. I work from home on days we are remote, and I have a sub on in-person days.

DH's district postponed in-person classes until the first week of September. They started with hybrid, too. Half the kids came Monday/Wednesday, the other half came Tuesday/Thursday, with no kids on Friday. They did that for about a month before going back to 5 days in-person.

4. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Oct 31, 2020

Every district has a different plan here. We opened 100% in person, but as of next week we're back to remote. In the summer, my district agreed to follow a data metric that shows when we should be in person vs. remote based on different virus numbers. The thing is, it really wasn't spreading in schools. I truly thought kids weren't getting it because they weren't at school and that we'd see huge outbreaks when we went back. That didn't happen at all. We had a total of 2 actual confirmed cases in my entire district. Only one district in the area saw cases of "secondary transmission" where other people in the school actually got it from the positive person. And in that case, it was a group of 5 friends who admitted they were meeting up in the bathroom unmasked :rolleyes:.

So now my district is kind of pissed that they had to close because they made this agreement. Numbers in the county/state are horrible. Way worse than they've ever been. People follow all of the rules in stores and such, but most people are also continuing to have unmasked gatherings with family and friends, which is how it's spreading. The state "contact tracers" are saying personal gatherings are where the vast majority of cases are coming from. The holidays will only make it worse, I'm sure. The other districts in my specific county are all remaining open due to low numbers within the schools.

A few larger districts announced very early on that they'd be remote only for the first quarter. I think that was a huge mistake and I'm so glad we didn't do that. They basically missed their chance to be in person while numbers were low. Two big districts literally came back for 1 week and now are closed again. Imagine that stress for everyone! Making the transition and then just going right back. I wouldn't be surprised if we're remote through the holidays and then we try to come back in Jan/Feb. I am very interested to see what, if anything, makes the districts who are still open close. At least a couple of them are saying they won't unless the state says they have to. The state is saying they'll never do that and it's up to the districts. So fun game of chicken that is.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 31, 2020

We have been back face-to-face since the start of school in September. We do have somewhat reduced numbers, as parents had the option to choose face-to-face or remote. Both programs run independently of each other, so those of us teaching face-to-face don't deal with any remote students. Although about 20% of the schools in the province have reported cases of COVID, there is no indication that schools will be shutting down. It seems to be more that classes, or schools, with cases will shut for a 14 day quarantine, then return to "normal". Public Health doesn't feel that COVID will spread in schools as long as protocols are maintained. Of course, those making the decisions don't come to see the reality in classrooms where physical distancing isn't possible and it's a constant struggle with getting the students to follow the expectations. I've resigned myself to the fact that I probably won't see family over Christmas; I feel like a walking petrie dish most of the time.

6. Tired Teacher

Oct 31, 2020

Mrs. C- I am so sorry! That is hard not having Christmas with your family! Teachers should not be forced to put work over family, but this is definitely 1 of those times it is happening. It is good you all are keeping track of cases in schools in your province. ( 20% of the schools with cases is a lot to me.)
    1 thing that really bothers me about US schools is things are kept hush, hush more here anyways. I saw where a teacher was possibly going to lose her job for updating friends on FB about her personal COVID progress. I have seen snips and clips ( not on the news) of teachers who have died from it. I am wondering if the US is not keeping case counts on schools for a reason. I know NY City seemed to have kept track. At least they have numbers, but there should be a data base in the US for schools imo.

7. Tired Teacher

Oct 31, 2020

Yes, it is very stressful to teachers, parents, and kids! Districts are doing different things here too. To me, it is all so confusing and I think they'd be better off to make a consistent plan for at least 9 weeks. Then if something changes at that point, the next 9 weeks could be different.
    Week on, week off, or long weekend cleaning shut downs are not good for anyone imo. I was wondering like you if some schools that are shut now might try to start back up over after the holidays. That is amazing you guys only have had 2 cases in your district!!!
    Our numbers have skyrocketed too despite having 1 of the smallest populations of any other state w/ the exception of Rhode Island now, I think. Recently we were ranked as 15 th highest cases per 100,000 which should not be b/c we have a lot of space. But other than older people and immune compromised very few people wear masks. It is not mandated by the governor. He just says: " He trusts us o the right thing."

8. Tired Teacher

Oct 31, 2020

Wow! That is an awesome for you! Very few got that choice! Here even if they were willing to give free medical access to the district/ govt too, they made it too difficult.. ( I could be wrong about the gvt part.) Teachers here quit, retired early, or took a yr off if they had medical concerns/ issues. Many went back b/c they needed their paychecks despite their illness or concerns. I don't know 1 who got the ADA accommodations. I know a handful who tried. They now for the 1st time ever feel like they NEED teachers here. That hybrid model would have driven me crazy, I think! :) Wow! 5 days a week with high numbers for your spouse??? I really wish we had a national data base.

9. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Nov 1, 2020

I have been face to face with students coming A day/B day every other day since school started in August. The elementary schools in my district have all students going 5 days a week. The middle and high schools plan to return all students 5 days a week at the start of the second semester near the end of January.

10. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Nov 1, 2020

My district set first quarter as remote and delayed start to the year back in July or very early August. We started after Labor Day and have been remote all 1st quarter. The board voted to continue remotely through 2nd quarter too, since the county had so many new cases in the past few weeks.

With cases skyrocketing and likely continuing to increase over Christmas, I can’t imagine we’ll be able to come back to a hybrid model at the end of January as planned. My school has had 4 teacher cases in the past two weeks and my entire team but me is quarantined from exposure right now (I’ve been working from home and haven’t seen anyone from work in weeks, thankfully). I’m thankful my district is at least being cautious, but the pressure from the state to continue school as if everything were normal is so stressful. I almost quit from stress this week, and I don’t foresee it getting any better.

11. Tired Teacher

Nov 1, 2020

Wow! Be very thankful for this. It is all so inconsistent and disorganized here as the numbers rise. I do understand how many feel like quitting this year too here due to the stress. I worked a lot of hours last yr online and still felt like I couldn't do it all. They need to keep track of teacher and student cases and publish them. One of my own kids has been quarantined 2 times already too. It is awesome you are at least able to work from home!

12. Tired Teacher

Nov 1, 2020

Wow! I hope the numbers where you are are low or nonexistent. They opened schools here in August too, but now most are shut down. Most just have no idea when they will be called back. In 2 weeks? After the holidays? I really am feeling bad for working parents right now as well as teachers. Mostly the parents who do not complain about teachers though are the ones I feel really bad for. I am not feeling any sympathy for parents who don't work, never disciplined their kids, and do not even try. I do feel bad for the kids who have that type of parent though.

13. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Nov 1, 2020

I’m very grateful for their decision and that I can work from home. We got an email Tuesday that made it sound like teachers were going to be required to start working from their schools tomorrow, which prompted my near-quitting. I’m not at all comfortable with being in my building right now, and thankfully the email didn’t apply to everyone, but that kind of thing happens all the time in my district and that was the straw that broke the camel’s back for me. I won’t be returning to my job next year.

14. Tired Teacher

Nov 1, 2020

Knowing you do not have to go back next year, can make this year a bit easier on you. Last yr, I wasn't sure if I should " throw the towel in" or not. People here on PT actually encouraged me to, and I am so thankful not to be dealing w/ the uncertainty and garbage we had to put up with last yr.
    Yeah, they have thrown the exact problem in here too requiring most teachers to be in the classroom to do virtual learning. I never really felt too bad for our sped teachers before b/c they saw 1 kid at a time a lot. Now they are required though to meet f2f w/ kids when most teachers are no longer f2f. I have no idea how the districts get away w/ this. It is awesome you can work from home and be done next yr! :)

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 1, 2020

Fortunately I have enough sick days to have gotten me through most of the school year even if I hadn’t been able to work remotely part of the time. I’m taking the leave to care for my mom. She has terminal cancer, so I’m taking the time so she can be at home.

16. Tired Teacher

Nov 1, 2020

Oh, I am really sorry about your mom, but glad you are able to be there for her. It really helps to know that you did all you could for your mom when she needed you most. <3

17. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Nov 2, 2020

Nope. Still higher than the national average. Hasn't been bad in my school so far though.

18. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Nov 2, 2020

My district is remote until January. Then the plan is to bring students back in stages, youngest and highest-need first. High schools will be last, and that is where I teach. The city and state both set very high standards for reopening (distancing, testing and PPE are the main shortages) and the district cannot meet them yet. Now they are annoyed because the district hasn't opened yet. (Our new case numbers are pretty low, but in the last couple of days have started to creep up again.)

19. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Nov 3, 2020

We have been in person all year elementary (hybrid in the high school-we are a single building district). Even though we have had some higher community numbers, we have stayed with these models since September. The neighboring county is having a major surge at the moment, but so far we have stayed fairly steady.

20. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Nov 3, 2020

We went back near the end of Aug.

21. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Nov 4, 2020

We went back hybrid in august and full traditional in October. As of now our Fridays are virtual only, to give teachers a day to meet with virtual-only students. But, I'm hearing rumors that that will be going away after Thanksgiving.

22. Tired Teacher

Nov 7, 2020

That is great your school has been so fortunate or careful.

23. Tired Teacher

Nov 7, 2020

It is awesome they gave you Fridays to do the virtual learning. Just from what I have heard about holiday gatherings, I think it'd be smart to do virtual learning from Thanksgiving to January! It arrived here later than in other places, but has really taken off. They did finally shut schools down to virtual the other day due to risk levels, but never told the teachers for how long. You all have the patience to do this job this year! <3

24. Tired Teacher

Nov 7, 2020

I am assuming you're all well and happy for you. If not, I am sorry too!

25. Tired Teacher

Nov 7, 2020

Have the cases gotten into the schools or just community? As far as I know ( not sure cus they keep a lot hush, hush) we have kids/ teachers with it, but they haven't mentioned that it was transmitted in school. I know 2 schools around here that were not following safety protocol too. Teachers told though which is good. I wish people didn't have to wait for the surge b4 districts took it seriously. I hope you stay steady and that steady means good. :)

26. Tired Teacher

Nov 7, 2020

It is great they were decent enough to tell you you'd be doing it until January. It is even better you are HS. :) It is awesome your city and state both set very high standards for reopening. I hope they give you what is required by the state and city and that you are not sent back if the numbers keep creeping. <3

27. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Nov 9, 2020

Knock on wood... so far, so good. Other schools have had to go full remote for 2 weeks or so here and there depending on numbers.

28. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Nov 10, 2020

We have had staff and students with it, but they are claiming that it isn't spreading within the school. I know our volleyball team has had 2 instances of cases with it (one was most likely spread through club play, the other has been since varsity started up). It is still spreading in the community and the neighboring county, so it is only a matter of time before it does spread within the school as well.

29. Pisces

Pisces Companion

Nov 10, 2020

Why not get Covid tested right before the holidays so that if you test negative, you can still see family? The turnaround time for results is quick now.

30. Tired Teacher

Nov 10, 2020

One of our sports teams got hit with it too here, so some places ended sports. Others kept going. It is pretty well public knowledge why the 1 team had to stop. Still no public news of it spreading in the schools.
    I hear of some families I know where everyone in the family has or has gotten it. They did have to shut the schools down now though for an undetermined amount of time. I still can't imagine how we have not demanded to have case counts of transmission in schools.
    I think some states or cities have. Like at 1x I read how many teachers / employees in NYC got sick and died from it.

31. nematsoori

nematsoori New Member

Nov 11, 2020

I really have no plan to back

32. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Nov 11, 2020

Regardless of testing, the CDC recommends quarantine for 14 days before and after family gatherings. A negative test at the start of the quarantine adds to security, but it's still safest to self-quarantine, especially if anyone in your family is at risk.

creativemonster and MrsC like this.
  33. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 11, 2020

I likely will get a test during the few days leading up to Christmas, so that I can see my sister and brother-in-law. My mom is in her mid-80s and I am taking no chances with her health. She lives 5 hours away and is planning on staying home and not traveling to us. My son lives in Atlantic Canada and they have a very effective "bubble". If he comes home, he will need to isolate for 2 weeks when he gets back home--not possible when he has to go to work. I am sad that this holiday will be different, but I'd far rather have my loved ones safe and healthy long term.

creativemonster and MissCeliaB like this.
  34. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Nov 12, 2020

We've been sent home twice, this time for a longer period. Neighboring districts are out until December. This thing will probably have us all home soon.

35. Tired Teacher

Nov 16, 2020

It took awhile here for them to finally close it down. I do not believe it is not spreading in schools. At 1st, they'd have a long wkend for deep cleaning after case/ cases? IDK...Finally, they just had to shut it down. Hopefully, you'll all be home soon too.

whizkid likes this.
  36. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Nov 22, 2020

Our students won't be back after the holidays and probably no more until the new year.

37. Tired Teacher

Nov 23, 2020

Yeah, ours is now officially shut down until January. Thank goodness!