Does anyone else work in someone else's home?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Dec 25, 2009.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Dec 25, 2009

I tutor a student who is from India so his family likes to keep their house very warm right now since they're not used to the cold weather. I like a slightly warm house but when it gets too warm in my house I can easily turn down the thermostat. I've made comments before when I'm at their house that I'm getting too warm and so I'll crack a window open but I don't know what else to do.

When I get too warm it makes me feel like I have a headache, my face will get flushed, and I just don't feel as effective as a teacher when I'm uncomfortable.

This all may seem trivial but I'm wondering how else I can let them know that I'm not comfortable with how warm they keep their house?

3. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Dec 25, 2009

Wear layers, so you can strip down when it gets too hot!
    You know what I mean. :)
    Wear a thin cotton shirt inside and then a sweater and a jacket.
    Strip, when needed.:D
    ...OR tell them exactly what you mentioned above abt what heat does to you.:angel: They can't do what you want, unless YOU EXPLAIN TO THEM WHY. Some people, LIKE ME, are like that.:mellow:
    Rebel1

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 25, 2009

I understand. I can't have the heat on at night when I sleep or I get a headache and very flushed. I could not work in a hot house, and would have to say something.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 26, 2009

I don't get cold easily. I'd rather be too cold than too hot. Maybe they'll get the hint when you pull out those little pocket-sized fans & turn it on yourself & say how hot it is!

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 26, 2009

In someone else's home, you may not have much of a choice. As an aide, I always had this problem too. I could say it to the teacher but in the end, it was her room. Same here.

7. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 26, 2009

I'm not sure there's a polite way of asking these people to turn thier heat down. In essence, what you're asking is for them to be uncomfortable in thier own home. I would never ask a student to adjust the temperature of their home. I do; however, dress so that I can add or remove layers as needed.

8. reverie

reverie Companion

Dec 26, 2009

Is there any way you could go to the library with the student you tutor? that may help. Also, maybe the layers idea, like Rebel1 said. Just wear a tee shirt or sleeveless underneath.

9. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Dec 26, 2009

Well, I've only been going to their house as a favor since the mom doesn't drive but maybe I can see when the dad is around to meet at the library like I'm used to doing. There are other distractions at the home like the phone ringing or sometimes she'll talk to her son in front of me in their other language when they can also speak English so another issue is I wonder why she does that?

Hopefully I can meet them at the library.

10. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 26, 2009

Talking to her son, in any language, while you're trying to teach, is a distraction, and that is an issue that can, and should, be addressed. As for why they choose their native language, I can think of several reasons, including that it's more comfortable, and that she doesn't want her kids to loose their native language, so she continues to use it with him. I tell my HS students' parents that the hour I'm with them is "mine". Unless there's a huge emergency, I expect to be left alone in order to focus on their child. I also stress that regardless of the number of distractions, I'm only there for an hour...an hour that they're paying good money for, and that it's a waste of thier child's time and their money if there are interuptions. They usually see things my way :D.

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 26, 2009

I have serious issues at the house where I tutor, which I won't discuss here, but, it is blessedly chilly in there. I love it. The mom feels the same way. I have a lot of trouble with heat/humidity and I don't think I could work in someone's house that was too warm. At my old school, I'd plug in a small fan directed right at me because the air conditioner didn't do a very good job.

12. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Dec 26, 2009

TennisPlayer - I think that the only way that you can politely solve this situation is to have the family meet you elsewhere. I think that this would solve lots of problems, including you being physically comfortable and distractions. Lots of luck!