Does anyone else NOT like their Smart Board?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Terrence, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Terrence

Terrence Comrade

Dec 20, 2009

I got a Smart Board this school year, and I absolutely HATE it! I hate writing on it because it's just awkward, and I have a slow computer, so it always screws up, or takes a while to write. I think it is more of pain than it is a tool. I also have an airliner and I have tried getting the hang of writing on it, but after a few hours of messing with it, I have given it up. The only thing I like about it is that you can find a few things on line. The idea of the whole interactivity thing is nice, but how interactive is it when only ONE kid can come up and "interact" with it at a time? To me, it's a waste, but maybe I haven't seen that "aha!" trick yet. I have had to go to these workshops to go over how to use the various components of the smart board, and they all sound cool, but they take too much time to get them up and running. The "instant" questions aren't so instant because it takes time to set it up, so what are the kids doing while you set up the question or pushing the buttons? I am going in on Monday and reinstalling my overhead projector screen so that I can use my overhead.

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 20, 2009

Don't give up on it just yet!

4. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Dec 20, 2009

I love mine...

5. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 20, 2009

We have them and have had them for a couple of months. They haven't been installed yet. I love some technology, but I'm all about efficiency in the classroom. If it becomes a time laboring task, I'll abandon it pretty quickly. I'd rather had a few more bookshelves filled with books, but no one asks us what we want or really need.

6. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Dec 20, 2009

The one thing that ruined it for me was my projector was mobile and got bumped all the time making the pens go out of calibration . I would have to have the projector mounted to try it again.

7. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Dec 20, 2009

I love mine!!!! I'd be lost without it.

8. SweetHomeAlabam

SweetHomeAlabam Companion

Dec 20, 2009

Funny you posted this b/c I was just about...

to take a "poll". My friend told me during her internship she used an "interwrite or interwrap" pad. I am not sure exactly what this is, but she said she LOVED it compared to the SMARTBoard. I had the Smartboard at both of my placements and liked them ok, but it did seem more of a hassel than it was worth. Sometimes it just seemed easier to go to the plain ol white board.

I will be posting a question in another section about this.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 20, 2009

I piloted a SmartBoard for my school along with a few colleagues for 2 years. They installed them now in 1/2 the classrooms (still waiting on mine)...I like them but don't think they should be used exclusively as 'white boards' or 'movie screens' which is how some teachers use them.

10. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Dec 20, 2009

I don't have one, but I do have an ELMO document camera with an LCD projector, which I LOVE since it is simple to use and I can also use it to show student work...the smartboard scares me :)

11. Terrence

Terrence Comrade

Dec 20, 2009

I also have a document camera and another projector (the smart board projector is mounted ontop of the smartboard). I find the document camera so much more useful and easier to use. I have tried to make a smartboard lesson with interactive segments and it took me 3 hours to make a small piece of a lesson.

12. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 20, 2009

I love mine, but I don't enjoy writing on it. The pens are off, difficult for the children to use, and my handwriting looks sloppy. I still use my easel for writing.

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 20, 2009

I have had mine for several years, and I don't know what I'd do if I had to work without one now. I rarely actually touch the board since I have an AirLiner, but the kids use the board. They dont' have the coordination to use the AirLiner. That took me months to learn to use myself. The computer MUST be fast or you can't use things well. I had a comptuer that only runs the SmartBoard.

My kids are ver interactive with my board. I have a clicker system, so they use it all the time. They also write on the board themselves. I use my board all day, every day.

Yes, it does take a long time to learn how to do everything wiht it, but that's not bad.

Everyone talks about how great document cameras are, but I rarely use mine. I would have used it more if I didn't have the SmartBoard, but I don't find a use for it with one.

14. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Dec 20, 2009

I don't have one, but our school has two MIMIOs. They work similarly to SmartBoard, but they attach to your regular whiteboard and are therefore able to turn them on and off. If you don't want to use it, turn it off and use your whiteboard as a whiteboard. If you want to use it, you turn it on and use it.

We also like it because it's portable, and therefore more teachers get to use it (a real benefit when you're in a 'poorer' school, like me).

15. looneyteachr

looneyteachr Companion

Dec 20, 2009

smartboard

have u tried the games that come with toolkit 2.0?

16. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Dec 20, 2009

Me, too!

17. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Dec 20, 2009

I live by my slate board and my clickers. They tried to push a smart board on me this year and I insisted on a high end clicker system. I'm much happier with what I have than I would have been with a smart board.

That said, I have a fellow math teacher who's getting a smart board over Christmas break and has really been wanting one. I can't wait to see how he uses it and get some ideas.

As with ALL technology, it has it's place and it's use but it can't become the centerpiece of your classroom. I always have an overhead sitting in the corner for when the technology craps out. (My tech actually went out during an observation last year. I grabbed the overhead and kept going without skipping a beat.)

18. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Dec 20, 2009

We have Promethean Boards at my school, which is similar to the Smart Board, except that the only way you can write on it is with a stylus pen. When I student taught a couple years ago, my cooperating teacher had a Smart Board, and I have to say that I love my Promethean Board a lot more. I use it almost every day.

They are installed in all the classrooms, and there are some teachers who only use them as a place project their overhead projectors. :p I can understand, though. If you're used to using certain teaching tools in your classroom, it's hard to all of a sudden switch to something brand new, especially when it involves all this new technology that has popped up over the last couple years. It takes a lot of time to learn how to use it!

19. wrice

wrice Habitué

Dec 20, 2009

We have Prometheans and I use mine daily. I show PowerPoint and videos, I model filling in worksheets and data tables, and I make review games and quizzes all the time. A telling anecdote of it's usefulness was when our most senior member of our group was forced to adapt to the Promethean. She now swears by it and has even presented what she has learned in prof development.

Sorry you're having trouble- be open with your technologist or whomever is in charge of such things and see if they can get it to work better.

20. Sam Aye M

Sam Aye M Mr. Know-It-All

Dec 20, 2009

I hate my smart board, and have had one for about three years. My biggest complaints are that it completely replaced our larger white board, and that it is not multi-touch. A lot of the interactive games I would play with the kids to study for tests involved more than one student writing on the board at the same time. That is not possible with our smartboard. Also, during math, I would often have more than one student write on the board at the same time... not possible anymore. Of course, we also used to put up our daily objective, date, and little notes to ourselves in the corner of the white board, which is also no longer possible.

The good things about the smartboard are that it makes it easier to use PP presentations during class time, and it makes it easier to produce and show slide shows during class. As much as I hate using the whiteboard to teach math, it also some some great benefits in math as well. When I work out problems on the board, I don't "erase" them, I just add a new blank page. When the kids have difficulty with similar concepts, or fall behind, I can go back and pull up the problem that we already worked out for them. Graphing in Algebra is also much easier once you locate a graph, and put it in your "favorites" so that you can pull it up quickly when needed. Some of our kids were learning how to read a clock, so the teacher pulled up a clock face with no arms, and the kids drew the arms as needed. And, of course, the built in timer comes in handy when we are timing the kids and put the timer on the board so they can all see how much time they have left.

Oh yeah, and we can watch movies on it too.

I still hate the thing, and would much rather have a white board and a projecter, but that is not going to happen, so may as well make the most of it.

21. KateL

KateL Habitué

Dec 21, 2009

I had a SmartBoard last year, and I didn't like it. My computer is normally fast, but the SmartBoard software slowed it down so much that it was unusable. I had to remove the software to get anything done on my computer. I also had a portable LCD projector, so it was always getting out of alignment. The students thought the SmartBoard was cool, but it just wasn't worth the hassles.

22. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Dec 23, 2009

We have them in all our rooms. I love mine. I use it to show powerpoint notes. I rarely write on it, saving the actual whiteboard for that purpose. I think if its ALL I had (meaning no whiteboards) I'd like it less because it does get difficult to write on.

I do use it for the video screen. I use it to show webpages that go with the subject at hand, games, reviewing. I do wish more than one could touch it (sometimes) I've also used it to give tests that are multiple choice. Ive had it for 3 years and this year I finally started using it to save on my copy allowance. For each chapter, my students have selective questions that I ask of them and they have to 'hunt' for the answer. It is so much easier to put the questions up on the Smartboard than to waste my copies make papers that will end up on the floor or in the garbage.

It does take time to learn it and some patience.

23. MollyT

MollyT Companion

Dec 24, 2009

I enjoy my smartboard - and I am still a bit of a beginner. Some of the great points are:

-I save the work I have done, when the next lesson on that topic comes up, I just open up the page and review - (very good for visual learners.)
    -In maths it is great for concepts such as flip, slide and turn, working with shapes, grids etc. Also, built in tools like the dice and coins for tossing, and the currency options. (and lots more)
    -editing examples in writing - easy to undo/redo to review what you have done.
    -brainstorming is good, because you can then move and group words by dragging them.

When my smartboard was installed, I had it put on a different wall than my whiteboard, because I didnt want to lose it. 3 months later I realised I hadnt even thought about my whiteboard - certainly hadn't used it.

Hope you can get your computer speed increased so that you can make the most of your smartboard.
    -

24. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Dec 24, 2009

I love my smartboard, but I agree about disliking the airliner. I have one of those, and it stays on the shelf. It is impossible to write neatly on.

I understand your point about how only one kid at a time can use the Smartboard, but I still think it is great because ALL the kids are watching what the one kid is doing, and it cements the concept in their minds. Love my Smartboard!

25. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Dec 24, 2009

I wouldn't say I "dislike" my smartboard, but I certainly don't use it to its maximum potential. Each of our students has his own laptop, and I teach high school, so the interactive side of the smartboard is kind of lost on us. They can just do it on their own at their desks.

26. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 24, 2009

My document camera is tied into my smartboard. I can hit the icon for the program Activision (think that's the name) and then it will project the object up there. Then if I use the markers to make any notes on it, it takes an automatic snapshot. I hit the X if I don't want to save it but having the option of saving the stuff is great too. You can come back the next day and add to it. We use it for our read alouds as well when we have all 4 classes come on Fridays at the same time. Some kids can't see that well so it helps them out tremendously. I confess that I don't use it for writing on that much because little fingers don't have the greatest motor dexterity as it is. In first grade though, I would turn out the lights and let them write on a black screen (glows like a neon board). They LOVED that. There are some interactive gallery items I really like. Mostly I use mine as a computer center because the kids don't have their own in our classrooms. It's very nice to have and I can see many more benefits of it but being my first year, I haven't really explored all of them. I do know that my students really go ga-ga every time I turn it on and it holds their attention better than many other methods but I try to make the classroom mult-sensory and not just one mode. It's definitely one tool to use though.

I did struggle with it a lot in the beginning and still don't use it to its full potential but I think it gets easier with more use.

27. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Dec 24, 2009

I feel so behind the times. No smartboard, no Prometheum, nothing but a whiteboard and overhead.

Eventually we'll all get one, and I'll spend time getting used to it, but I don't think that's going to happen until the economy picks up.

28. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Dec 25, 2009

I hated mine and had it taken out of my classroom. I got a document camera to replace it and love that. I also have a tablet laptop and the Smartboard did not do anything that my tablet could not do.

29. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Dec 25, 2009

I do agree with this. My next goal is to go paperless. I know that you are almost paperless.

30. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Dec 25, 2009

I'm attempting to do this to. I just need to find someway to digitalize my student binders.

31. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 26, 2009

My only complaint with the smartboard is if the image is from the computer, why does it need to be PROJECTED onto the screen thus causing a shadow issue as we use it? Seriously. I don't consider that very smart at all.

32. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Dec 26, 2009

I have a smartboard and a document camera and I LOVE both of them and use them a lot. I agree, writing with a stylus is messy and doesn't look hardly at all like my regular handwriting, but the kids and I just laugh it off. It can be good modeling of redoing something you are not satisfied with. I also became frustrated when the projector would get bumped and become off. I have helped that problem by placing the projector on a bigger, sturdier table that is bordered by my desk on one side, and bins of supplies on the other. Students rarely move it now. I use my document camera all the time as a whiteboard. I have a small lapboard that I put under the document camera and project what I'm writing. I have it set up so that I can sit, write, and keep an eye on my class while I do it (usally they're on the carpet, but even at their tables it works too). I don't have to turn my back on the class to write anymore.

A slow computer would definitely be frustrating...can anyone help you speed it up? Update software? Clean cookies? My computer was slow this year (I didn't even know it...my media tech told me it was slower than other folks...and she worked her magic and it's faster. A district guy also came to update things and speed it up.) Could someone help you? Is there any other computer available that would be better for you? Would a personal laptop work?

Good luck! (And, just because the vast majority of people love their smartboards doesn't mean EVERYONE is going to love them...)

33. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Dec 26, 2009

What about Live Binder--that is what I am planning to use next year for my Interactive notebooks so they will be digital also.

34. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Dec 27, 2009

From a students perspective: the community college I attend our insructors use them and I love them. My teacher was able to make it go right too our webiste where we get our class info and stuff and we could see notes it we missed class or was not as fast as he was. It is also neat how you go pull up webistes through it and one math teacher even tryed to show us a youtube clip on how to do a certain math we were learning. They are neat.

35. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Dec 27, 2009

I use OneNote for their "binder", and it works out nicely. :)

36. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Dec 27, 2009

Thanks chemteach, I am going to look into that. There is really no need for me to copy anything anymore. My kids all have Macbooks! Sadly, some teachers DO NOT use them.

37. FCLaura

FCLaura Rookie

Dec 29, 2009

I would be OK with my smart board except for two things:
    1. The projector breaks all the time.
    2. The smart board is ON TOP of the white board, so I have lost all that extra writing space. It should really be on another wall.

38. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Dec 30, 2009

I use the smartboard alot during small group work. During guided reading I use the smartboard as a center. I created a word work lesson where I just change the concept but the lesson format stays the same. Normally there are no more than 4 students at the SB at the same time. When I do use it for whole group instruction the lessons don't last more than 15 minutes because only one student can use it at a time. I use it for whole group minilessons. Sometimes I create my own lessons, but this can be time consuming. So there are two websites I have found full of premade lessons. I can download those lessons and my minilesson is done. You can change the premade lessons to fit your classroom very easily.

I hope you can find one way to use the SB to benefit your classroom. I don't use it all the time, but there are specific times in the day I defenitly use it.

39. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Dec 30, 2009

I did use OneNote but LiveBinder is online and my students do everything on it. You can make the binders private but I know the password of each student. This way I can grade a lab report or spot check to make sure that homework is done. That way, everything is in one place. The only copies that I make are tests and quizzes.

40. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Dec 30, 2009

We are 1:1 laptop also and my kids say that they are not allowed to use their laptop in most of their classes. We have had some students who stopped carrying the laptop around because no one was using them. They come to me as seniors and have to dust off the laptop because my whole class is centered around it between my LabPro equipment and online science activities.

41. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 30, 2009