Does anyone else here use Tucker Signing?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by zoey'smom, Jun 28, 2011.

1. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Jun 28, 2011

I have used Tucker signing off and on for 5 years now. Tomorrow I am going to a Tucker signs workshop. I am hoping to get more ideas. I was wondering if anyone else uses it and what you think about it.

3. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Jun 29, 2011

I'm not familiar with this...what is it?!

4. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Jun 30, 2011

Tucker Signing is designed to prompt associations between letters and the sounds they represent. The prompts are hand signs. The program includes a hand sign for each letter and some letter combinations that represent distinct speech sounds. The Tucker hand signs are different from the signs of American Sign Language. Each hand sign is designed to resemble, to the greatest extent possible, the shape and the sound of the letter it represents. The hand sign for the letter p, for example, is shaped like the letter p and is held in front of the lips as the p sound is pronounced. The sign, therefore, builds a bridge between the printed letter and the associated speech sound. There are also signs for: sh, th, wh, ch, ing, tion, ir, ar and so on. Bethanie Tucker started this years ago. She also works very closely with Ruby Payne.

I have used Tucker Signing off and on for 5 years now. I love it. It can be very useful. I went to the workshop yesterday. In the workshop you learn all the signs and how to implement it in your program. It is just something you can use to supplement your reading program. It has really helped by slower readers.

Here is her website: http://www.tuckersigns.com/
    See it in action:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUFbMkJFQkU