Does anyone else have this problem?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by txmomteacher2, Jul 21, 2015.

1. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2015

We all know how hard we work and most of us even work on school stuff during the summer. This is the first year in a very long time that I haven't been in school or teaching summer school. I have been to a few PD's. I have worked on my classroom a little and worked on stuff at home. But for the most part I have been LAZY. Really I shouldn't say lazy, the house is clean(er) I have cooked, kept up with the laundry all the normal stuff I do as a wife, mom that I do all year. Yesterday ( and I knew it was coming soon because it always does) my husband got mad at me for not working because he still has to get up and go to work everyday. (he works for the district too) This happens every year around this time. So now I feel compelled to get up and get busy. I am the only one at my school working. Plus I am super mad at my husband. I still have about 3 weeks until I have to be back. That is three more weeks of rest and relaxation I still need to be prepared for my new little ones coming this fall. UGGHHHH Really hate this time of year for more than one reason. :dizzy:

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 21, 2015

Woah, your husband's going to actually get mad at you for what he thinks is "not doing anything". What nerve of him! I'd be almost cussing him out saying that obviously everyone has different kinds of work & work duties. (No matter how long you've been married), he obviously doesn't understand, like a lot of people, how much work at home teachers do ALL during the school year, on weekends, (& often beyond). Don't feel guilty in the least about finally relaxing. Any husband should WANT his wife to work less than him (or not at all & I'm not talking about in the sexist way of a man not wanting a wife of his to work).

Back when I was working for my district & I had any little holiday break, etc., my BF would say from time to time, "I'm glad between the two of us, you're the one who gets to relax." :wub:

4. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2015

My husband realizes that I work hard during the year, so he doesn't complain when I am being "lazy." I had a coworker whose spouse would do the same thing and they both work for our district.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 21, 2015

His problem shouldn't compel you to do something you don't need or want to do.

6. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 21, 2015

My husband is thrilled for me and says I do too much in the summer. He knows I put in way more effort and work than him when the kids are there, and he has a professional, sometimes stressful job.

Can you and your husband talk about this before it happens next year?

7. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Jul 22, 2015

My husband has never said anything about my summers off. Which is good since I don't want to go to jail. :angel:

8. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 22, 2015

My husband tends to slack off helping around the house during the summer. He knows better than to say anything about me not working, and in return, I don't ever complain if I run out of things to do. Early in our marriage, I said I was slightly bored over the summer. The next year, he arranged for me to work as a temp in his office.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2015

Don't 'cuss' your dh out :eek:hmy:...I'm sure he's just a bit covetous of your time off. My dh is not in education, but trust me, he'd much rather stay in bed with me for a bit more time each morning and then head to the beach for the day instead of putting on his suit and tie and heading off...so i plan date nights and weekend fun and short getaways so we have a bit of summer relaxing together and he doesnt feel left out.:love:

Instead of thinking of this time as 'lazy', change your mindset and view it as a time of reflection and rejuvenation. A bit of downtime is important for everyone. :thumb:

10. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2015

Anyone not in education thinks that we do nothing over the summer, spouses included, unless they really think about it. My hubby doesn't say it anymore, but there was a time that he did. I asked him if he stayed as constantly busy as I am when school is in session, and he sheepishly replied "No." We have never had the conversation again. Getting into August, I go to see my sister for a couple of weeks in Missouri, so out of sight is pretty much out of mind. That helps, because once I return I am in full blown school prep mode, and no one bothers me at that point.

I agree with czacza that you have to find ways to make it family or couples time so everyone experiences a little bit of the summer magic. I will mow the 2 acres while he is at work, so he suddenly finds himself with some free time he can kick back and relax, too. However, I will not get up when he gets up during the summer, nor do I expect him to get up when I get up during the school year. I think we are both adult enough to realize we have different schedules and we just deal with it.

Hope the rest of your summer is relaxing. Tell hubby you are reflecting and practicing your mindfullness as you prepare for school. You might want to look that up if you aren't doing it at your school yet.