Does anyone else feel overwhelmed?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by runnerss, Jul 17, 2008.

1. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 17, 2008

This is going to be my 4th year teaching math, so it's not like I don't know what I am doing. I just get overwhelmed with everything that has to be done. I always feel like I am two steps behind. Does anyone else feel that way?

3. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2008

Oh yes. Very overwhelmed. My to-do list grows and grows daily.

4. Criseyde

Criseyde Rookie

Jul 17, 2008

Pretty much all the time. My mind now automatically closes on certain things, like the beginning of the school year! That way, I can't think about it before, say August.

5. Teachingin08

Teachingin08 Rookie

Jul 17, 2008

YES! I am a first year teacher. I am taking the place of a retiring teacher who left SO MUCH stuff. I have to go through it all and throw away what I won't use. On top of that, everything was taken out of the room and as I am trying to put it all back, I have NO CLUE how they had all that stuff in that room. There just isn't room for it all. There is no air conditioning and the classroom looks aweful...I don't know how to make it look nice. Plus, there is all of the planning of lessons and procedures. (I have to read up on 4 block, because we weren't taught much about it in school, but that is what the school uses.) So yes...wow...I am overwhelmed!

6. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jul 17, 2008

I am going into my 4th year teaching and I feel like this too. I don't think it's so much a case of not knowing what you are doing, but that there are so many things to be done and just not enough time. Add that to the fact that special ed cases are being included more and more in the regular classroom without adding assistants to help out, and the result is often frustration, feelings of not measuring up to expectations, and sometimes burnout. We can only do our best, that's all anyone can ask.

7. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Jul 17, 2008

I'm going into my third year of teaching and I feel the same way. I want to be working in my classroom on my forever-long To Do List but the janitor says they are waxing the floor and no one can walk on it. Ugh. I'll try to get some stuff done at home, but the majority needs to be done on-site at school. Oh well.

8. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Jul 17, 2008

No matter how many years you teach ,to do the job correctly,teaching is an overwhelming job.I would suggest you write down all the things you feel you need to do, them rank them in order of importance. do one thing at a time starting with number 1 Example set up classroom and concentrate on that,then go on to the second thing-Example-Write first months lesson plans. Then go on to the third thing.At least this way I get something completed and don't become depressed thinking about all I have to do while accomplishing nothing.

9. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 17, 2008

Ugh!! That is exactly what my dilemma is!!! First they spent a week cleaning our hall. Now it is another week waxing the halls.I know that all of this must be done and I am so grateful that they are making our schol look nice, but next week i have GT training. Then I have to go back for a variety of other trainings my district requires. I just need some time in my room!!

10. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 17, 2008

Yank 7- good idea!

Teachingin08- I have been there so i know it isn't any fun. I hope that things start moving a little more quickly.

I am glad I am not the only one. I always feel like other teachers are always so put together. They are probably stressing just like me and don't show it. lol

11. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2008

I am in my 8th year and I am finally beginning to relax. This year I will not be going in too early to start setting up my room because I always over do it anyway. I will wait until the week before classes begin and go put up my bulletin board backgrounds with titles for student work. Then I'll set out their textbooks and label their desks with their name tags. Other than that, I'm leaving it all for when the year begins and we are being paid to work. We had to tear down the entire room so I am starting out with a blank room filled with boxes and desks. I plan to leave some things packed up to avoid having to pack it all up again in 10 months. If I don't use it during the year, I'll throw it in the trash.

12. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 17, 2008

Nah, I'm always feeling behind. I may not be, but I feel like it. Welcome to my world!:cool: