Does anyone eat "clean"?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by DrivingPigeon, Jul 9, 2013.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 9, 2013

I've been thinking about doing this, but it just seems so tough. I've watched a few documentaries on all of the harmful and dangerous things found in our food. Eating clean just seems to make sense...It's pretty much eating how people used to eat, before food was made in a lab with unrecognizable ingredients.

I think I would feel so healthy, and have more energy. I'm just sick of feeling bloated, and trying to squeeze into my clothes!

3. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2013

What documentary did you see? I saw one that sounds very similar and it talked about how much of our diseases are caused by what we need. I have thought about seriously changing my diet, but it´s so hard! For the most part I really do try to eat healthy. I very rarely eat chips and junk food, but I know I could do so much better if I really, really was motivated.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2013

I'm definitely eating cleaner than I was even 6 months ago. I'm going to push it even further over the summer when I have more time to develop new habits.

5. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 9, 2013

I have a friend who eats mostly clean. She said it was definitely hard at first but it gets easier as you get more used to it. You could always try something like eating clean 2 days out of the week and then add a day after a while and then another day and so on. As for me, I definitely don't eat 100% clean but I do make an effort to limit processed foods and stick to the natural stuff.

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 9, 2013

I don't remember what it was called. It's on Netflix right now. It talked a lot about eating clean, juicing, and how our bodies are so deprived of nutrients.

I was thinking about trying to stick to it for just one week, and see how it goes. I know it will be tough, but if I start with a small goal like that, and really give it a chance, I may be able to do it.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2013

I grew up eating that way. We gardened and ate very little processed foods. We weren't trying to be healthy, it's just how we ate. Foods were prepared ourselves from the raw ingredients.

I don't raise a big garden anymore, and I use more prepared/processed foods than I used to. Still, the majority of my meals would be classified as clean.

8. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 9, 2013

We don't eat a lot of processed foods. We've cut out most of the candy, chips, & junk food. I'm sure we could be a lot cleaner and something that we need to do.

My SIL just suggested yesterday that I buy a juicer. I do need to find a way to get more fruits & veggies.

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 9, 2013

I keep starting that diet. I definitely feel better when I follow it. My skin even looks better, I have more energy. My problem is just that it's so much more convenient to buy the processed foods- grab a frozen meal to take to lunch, etc. I always end up falling off the wagon.

10. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2013

We LOVE our juicer!!!

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2013

I hate juicers.

I'm very sensitive to textures. I'm okay with most fruit juices, but vegetable juices make me gag. I can drink tomato juice, but that's it.

12. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 9, 2013

I am going to make a concerted effort in the next month to eat cleaner. I used to be very good at it, but lately (as in the past year) I have been AWFUL. And I feel like it. And look like it. I can't keep doing this to my body-I am 34 and it's not getting any easier!

13. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Jul 9, 2013

My roommates just bought a juicer. They like it, except for the fact that you use so much fruit for a bit of juice and it feels like a waste to compost all of that matter.

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 9, 2013

I would say I eat about 80% clean. There are times that I will packaged items but lately it is very rare. I have lost over 20 lbs since I started eating this way. I have a juicer also and don't use it too much unless I'm doing a cleanse of some sort. If i'm going to have fruits and veggies I like the fiber that goes along with it which use lose when you juice. I would say juicing is a great alternative if you are using it in place of sugary and non-healthy beverage choices.

15. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jul 9, 2013

Uh...odd ball out here. I eat dirty, evidently. Filthy. I have no plans to change and it's probably best if I don't know what I'm eating. Can say this though, I'm not a "big" eater anyways--I'm petite (except right now I'm pregnant and feel like a barge), but all baby. What I ingest as "drinks" though--is diet soda everything--coke, pepsi, dr. pepper, Sunkist, a&w, as long as it's diet, and I drink about 5-6 cans per day. Although, I have been a really good girl this summer and have actually picked up a water bottle. I mow with my mom on weekends for extra money and I when it's 95 degrees out and your 35 weeks pregnant, you actually crave water even when your a soda-aholic.

16. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 9, 2013

I think we watched the same documentary. I started attempting clean eating a few months ago, but that documentary has helped me stay on track. I have my slip-ups, but I try very hard to avoid things I can't pronounce. I eat mostly vegetables and avoid anything that should be high in fat or calories but has been labeled "low fat" or "low calorie," like mayonnaise or salad dressings. Who knows what's done to it to make it lower in calories! From what I hear, your body needs certain fats in order to absorb nutrients. Plus, if you're eating a lot of veggies you don't need to watch your calories nearly as much, so a splurge on real cheese or real mayo is more acceptable.

I used to reach for low calorie snacks like rice cakes or 100 calorie cracker packs, but now I realize it's ok to eat more calories of healthier choices. Take almonds, for example. Sure, they're high in calories compared to say, a handful of pretzels, but there's good fats (and minerals, nutrients) in almonds that I can't get from something like a low-calorie carb like pretzels.

Thinking about it, I have done a 180 in terms of how I choose food and what foods I consider healthy.

17. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jul 9, 2013

I'm not proud of it, but let me be the first to confess - I am a dirty eater. I guess you can say that I was raised that way. Until I was a teen, I thought that making soup could only mean opening a can. Standard dinners in my house were of the "TV" variety.

I try to do better in my own household, but sauces come out of jars or packets, I buy rice and pasta mixes at times, and my household is - unfortunately - made up of sugar addicts. We are all pretty thin so maybe it's not as bad as I think, but I know there are at least 2 cartons of ice cream in my freezer right now.

I'm not going to lie and say that I vow to grow all of my own produce and make everything from scratch from now on, but I am trying to cut down on the sugar intake for myself and my family.

ETA - Sorry Adamnjakesmommy - I didn't read thoroughly and YOU were the first to confess your dirtyness - LOL. BTW - I've converted myself from soda to flavored setzer. It still gives me the carbonation and some flavor without as much "dirt." ;)

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 9, 2013

I don't think ALL packaged items are "bad" but you just need to read the labels and make the better choice. If you HAVE to buy jarred spaghetti sauce then just read the lable and see which one has the most natural ingredients. You don't have to do all or nothing because that mindset will make you give up quicker if you don't have the time to cook from scratch every night. I started by making my own salad dressings (vinegar, oil, spices, garlic, whatever) and just played around with it until it tasted good. If you try ONE new clean item every day, week, month, etc. you will be on your way before you know it.

19. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

Jul 9, 2013

I eat as clean as my budget will allow. I really don't fix too much that is boxed. I do reach for the occasional Rice-A-Roni, some canned soups...

But I've gone as far as to make my own cream-of soups and such. I make spinach smoothies all the time, and I do use greek yogurt in those.

Unfortunately, my budget doesn't allow for the organic that I would like.

20. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jul 9, 2013

I try to eat clean as much as possible. I like to snack on fruit and raw veggies and love to eat salads at lunch. I don't really crave cookies/sweets, but can get by with yogurt or frozen fruit most of the time when I do.

The biggest hurdle for me is craving salty foods! I do like almonds and nuts which are (sort of) a salty snack. But it's hard for me to not eat processed, salty foods. I don't eat chips so much, but will crave crackers or pretzels, which aren't much better. Any salty snack suggestions?

21. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 9, 2013

I have not had them but i hear kale chips are easy to make and you can sprinkle on some sea salt.

22. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 9, 2013

Roast cauliflower's glorious. Spritz a baking sheet with some good olive oil (the Misto sprayer gets a workout in my household). Slice or chunk a head of cauliflower into pieces; I used to break the head down very beautifully, but discovered that slicing it half an inch or less in thickness works just fine. Place the cauliflower on the baking sheet in a single layer and spritz with more olive oil. Roast till it's fairly brown; turn the bits over (they'll be darker on the side that was in contact with the baking sheet) and roast some more till they go a bit crispy. Remove from the pan, salt if desired, and serve hot.

One can also roast broccoli stems cut into matchsticks, thin beans such as haricots verts or dow gauk/yardlong beans, snow peas, brussels sprouts (boy, was THAT a revelation) and more. Zucchini's a little tricky just because it gets so soft while cooking, though I saw a nifty trick that involved covering zucchini slices in panko crumbs or cracker crumbs.

23. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2013

Yummy, TG. I love roasted veggies--broccoli with olive oil and garlic, finished with lemon zest, lemon juice and a dash of parmesan is my current obsession.

24. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jul 9, 2013

Teacher NY, I had a disastrous experience trying to make kale chips once! LOL. It may have been a bad recipe (Pinterest) but they did not turn out well at all. I do eat kale, though. I put it in salads and have also made a dip with kale and cottage cheese that is pretty good.

TeacherGroupie, the cauliflower sounds pretty good! I have done something similar with matchstick carrots in the past. I'll have to try it with some other veggies as well.

25. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 9, 2013

A friend of mine makes roasted green beans and she says they come out very crunchy! I will ask her how she makes them but you might be able to find a few recipes.

26. Securis

Securis Cohort

Jul 9, 2013

My wife (I get a kick out of getting to say that now) and I eat lots of veggies from our Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) and in the grocery store we buy some junk but mostly we only buy things with the fewest possible ingredients. If we don't know what it is in the ingredients list, we don't get it. Unless it's a flavor of ice cream and then all bets are off. Even that, we look for the fewest possible ingredients. High fructose corn syrup is out almost completely.

27. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2013

I'm definitely better than I used to be, but there are some things I can definitely improve on... the pasta craving nearly gone, but there's also a chocolate zucchini cake on the counter.

This last week, my grocery store bill was $90 for just fruits, veggies, and some sandwich meat. For two people. I wish we had cheaper options or room for a garden.

28. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 9, 2013

I admit that I need to make a complete overhaul regarding the way I eat. I just need more will power!

29. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2013

Hell, I must be a "dirty Old man." I eat whatever on the "menu."
    I am on a fixed income, if I were to eat "au naturale" (the food, not me) it would bust the bank believe me I have tried.

30. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 11, 2013

"Chocolate's a vegetable: it's made from beans..." Botanically speaking, zucchini's a fruit, of course.

Seriously, though, my food bills dropped drastically when I stopped buying fruits and veg primarily from supermarkets and started buying them from "ethnic" (primarily Middle Eastern) markets.

31. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 11, 2013

We have a store that 95% of what they sell is fruits & veggies. It's amazing how much cheaper the fruits & veggies are there.

32. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 11, 2013

I don't eat clean at all. I know I could do much better and a goal this summer is to develop better habits. I live by myself, so I only have myself to blame for the junk in the house. I planted a garden this summer and am looking forward to the fresh veggies to start rolling in!

33. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 11, 2013

Any advice on what us bachelors and single folk can do to eat better?

The problem I have is: since I live on my own, when I buy a bag of fruit or vegetables, by the time I've eaten much of it, the rest goes bad...since I'm the only diner in the house. ;)

However, I'm open to any and all advice on what I can do better to eating clean.

Or if there is a website or blog for "newbies" to this lifestyle.

Thanks! :)

34. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2013

We are eating clean raspberries (organic) we grew them and don't put anything on them!!! My clean eating for the day...Oh and water...LOL!!!

Ted a juicer or maybe make some smoothies or toss in yogurt the fruits. Veggies are harder for me... I throw veggies in soups. You know the roaster chickens...I make my own stock in crock pot with that and then freeze it until we want to have soup.

35. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 11, 2013

Frozen veggies are good too. You don't have to always buy fresh. Plan your meals for the week so if you buy fresh produce you know to have them in yor meals earlier in the week.

36. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2013

Ted, check out the frozen fruit thread. Smoothies = excellent start.

37. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 11, 2013

Thank you all for the excellent ideas! :)

38. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2013

I make a cheesy chicken (yeah I know not the cleanest), but I throw frozen veggies in. See if there are places you could sub stuff. Like I bake with applesauce instead of oil...

39. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2013

Ted, here's one for soup my dad makes. I call it Kitchen Sink Soup.

The only essentials are: either canned diced tomatoes or small tomato juice, chicken broth, browned crumbled sausage, salt, pepper, oregano, and sweet basil. Add whatever extra veggies you have laying around. Cook until veggies are soft. Make as little or as much as you need. It's a really forgiving soup :)

40. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 12, 2013

Stupid question: would canning your own veggies and fruit be considered clean? I water-bath can jelly, salsa, tomato juice, pickles, etc. and I am seriously considering a pressure cooker to can low acid foods like beans and meat.
    Produce is abundant during the summer here, and I love to can.

41. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 12, 2013

Heck yeah! Send some of those pickles over here!! :haha: