Does anyone do book-buddies?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by pamms, Aug 12, 2007.

1. pamms

pamms Comrade

Aug 12, 2007

I think I'd like for my class to have a class of book buddies. The book buddies would be a class of kids in an older grade at our school. Some others in the school do it and it seems like a great idea. I'm just not sure what exactly we'd do with our book buddies. Has anyone done this? What did you do with your buddies?

3. Bookworm

Bookworm Companion

Aug 12, 2007

I have done book buddies. Usually we are paired with a 5th grade class. We met 1-2 per month. We read stories together, wrote together, practiced vocab/sight words, we performed reader's theater, etc. Our time together was just 20-25 minutes.

4. Buttons

Buttons Rookie

Aug 12, 2007

We had fifth grade buddies as well. We met once per cycle (about once a week) At first, the 5's read to my 1's. Slowly we progressed into having the 1's read a book at their independent reading level to their partner, and the 5's reading a story book to the 1's. The fifth grade teacher and I introduced the program to the five's and gave them some ideas about how to help and how to encourage. My 1's would also read their writing or work on their writing with the 5's.