Does anyone do a monthly homework calendar?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Peachyness, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 12, 2008

Our school is pretty much out of paper. We have 4 reams left for the rest of the year. Soooooo, I'm thinking that we will need to change the way we do homework. Right now, we (all of the four kinder classes) send home a weekly homework pack. There are about 6 pages that they do each week, in addition to the reading log and cover page and what we're learning this week page. So, that is 8 pages per student. There are 80 students. So, if you do the math, this is a LOT of pages being sent home each week, each month.

Does anyone have any websites that they go to to get ideas for homework calendars? Does it work for you? Any other ideas? Thanks!

3. SueHue

SueHue Comrade

Nov 12, 2008

I've never personally used them, but I did run across these on Kelly's Kindergarten:

http://www.kellyskindergarten.com/Homework/monthly_homework.htm

I hope it opens. I had to go back to her home page and click on several different options to get them to open (it might have just been my computer).

Good luck. Let me know if you use them. We are running very, very low on copies this year as well - we have more kinders than ever before, but we don't get a larger allowance of copies or paper.

4. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Nov 13, 2008

I use a monthly homework calendar. I couldn't get the KellysKindergarten page to open, so can't compare to mine. I run them off at the end of the year (hopefully there is enough paper left) and try to use a different color for each month or two. I stick them in file folders and then they're there when I need them. They are alot less work for me, but I think (know) some parents just initial and send in. I am not sure the kids are doing everything they should-so it's kind of a trade-off.

5. harbodin

harbodin Companion

Nov 14, 2008

I have a folder sheet in the students' folders. Tuesday and Thursday their homework is actual worksheets for reading and math. Monday, Wednesday and Friday are things like count by 10's, read a book, discuss the election, whatever goes with what we are doing. This way parents have a guide, but they aren't bogged down with a million sheets of paper (plus,try looking at things front back or asking them to write on the back of a worksheet from the schoolday).

6. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Nov 14, 2008

Hmm...I have never tried a monthly calendar, let us know if you do! I don't know how I would get through the rest of the year with only 4 reams of paper...last year when we were running low we all had to stop copies for a week and the P pulled some money from something else and bought some more... If you can do homework online that would be awesome!

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 14, 2008

That would be nice, but I work in a VERY VERY VERY low SES school. It's really sad.

Well, we were able to get a couple more reams from someone very nice in the office. It looks like they still want to keep doing the homework packet. I will have to ask them then, to make it double sided to at least save paper. I really don't get why they still want to keep it up as we are really quite low. We'll see.... :unsure:

8. spunkyteacher

spunkyteacher Rookie

Nov 16, 2008

I do a monthly calendar. It stays in their folder, in a plastic page protector, until Friday. On Friday mornings, I take it out, check the work, and the calendar goes back in on Monday morning. Not everything is paper pencil, so I do require that the parent initial that it was done.