Does anyone do a Bear unit?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by zoey'smom, Jan 8, 2010.

1. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Jan 8, 2010

Usually in January I do a Bear unit. I even have the kids bring in their own bears and have a Teddy Bear Picnic. I am looking for ideas and activities to go with this theme. I have some, but I am kind of getting tired of the same old thing. Thanks

3. treysmom

treysmom Comrade

Jan 8, 2010

Have you checked out makinglearningfun.com-go to themes and you will find ideas for bears. Also thevirtualvine.com has good ideas. I know there are tons more, but those come to mind.

4. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Jan 8, 2010

I will check both of those sites out thanks.

5. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jan 8, 2010

One of the things I've done with 3's and 4's and they find VERY difficult (so it's probably better for your kids!!) is comparing and contrasting their bear and a friend's bear... "Tell me one thing that's the SAME about your bear and Sam's bear. Now find one thing that's different."

We've also done a graph about the bears... eye color, fur, size, name, etc.

6. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jan 8, 2010

We use a floor graph to physically place their bears on them. We also make bears out of brown paper sacks and stuff with polyfill. We also send a bear home to "dress"...I got great ones this year. We also read a bear hunt with our bears and act it out. I also learn about polar bears, brown bears, and black bears. We then make venn diagraphs with them.

7. nykteacher

nykteacher Rookie

Jan 10, 2010

I haven't done it, but I have a colleague who makes a big bear cave with her children every year, and she ends her bear unit by putting the bears into the cave to hibernate. They wake them up on the first day of spring!

8. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Jan 10, 2010

I really like this idea. How did she make the cave?

9. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jan 10, 2010

When I student taught Kinder I remember that after we read a book that had something to do about bears an activity we did was measure things with bear paws. I cut out bear paws that were maybe 9 inches tall. The size doesn't really matter, you just don't want them too big or too tall. Then the students worked with a partner and each group got about 6 or 7 paws. They then went around the room and measures things in paws. So for example, the table might be 6 paws long and 4 paws wide. A book might be one and a half paws long. The math standard is something like "Measuring using non-customary measurements." Sorry, it's been 2 years, so I can't recall the exact standard. Anyway, I loved that the kids worked in pairs, and one of the things they had to do was measure their partners in paws. I was observed during this lesson and although it does get a bit chaotic, it's constructive chaos and the kids loved it. I got a good review as well.

As a follow up to the measuring partner's heights, you can do a bar graph to show how many students are 5 paws tall, 6 paws tall and so on.

The pain is cutting out all those bear paws (because you really need at least 6 per group depending on how big you make them). BUT if you laminate them then you'll have them for years to come to do the activity again.

10. nykteacher

nykteacher Rookie

Jan 11, 2010

She took a big cardboard box and turned it on its side. She glued on gray circles of paper to look like rocks covering the cave, and she sort of bordered the opening of the cave with twisted brown paper to make it look rounded. I'll see if I can take a picture of it tomorrow, and I'll post it (with her permission!)

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 11, 2010

I made a cave earlier this year. I took one of those roundish boxes from Walmart that holds some type of produce (such as pumpkin, squash, watermelon, etc.) It was huge and only fit in my van, but once I got it in my classroom it was the perfect size. I turned it upside down where the bottom was the ceiling (except that it doesn't have a full bottom). Then I cut out a door on the side panel. Then I took BB paper and went crazy with it. Before I did that though I painted in the inside black so it was dark in there. I used glow in the dark paint to paint the word "cave" inside and outlined the bat I put on the side. I covered the entire thing with BB paper and crumbled it up. It took a little time but the kids loved it! I can't take a picture of mine because I already threw it away.

12. cocacola

cocacola Rookie

Jan 21, 2010

In addition to some of the suggestions, I also try to cover some bear-related stories: The Little Mouse, The Big Hungry Bear, Ripe Red Strawberry (or something like that), Goldilocks and the Three Bears. I printed these masks in color and allow kids to act the story out.
    http://www.harcourtschool.com/activity/art/storytelling/bears/storytellingbears.html

This site has some other reproducibles and ideas to go along with Goldilocks http://mondaymorningbooks.com/new/pdf/MM2207 pp16-22.pdf

When my kids bring in bears I have them "spend the night" and when the kids come in the next morning the bears are around the room doing different activities (drawing, building with blocks, at computers) and I have the kids write about what their bear was doing. They love coming in and seeing the bears doing activities they do.

13. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 21, 2010

The cave idea is so great!!!

Sorting bears--the little blue, red, yellow and green ones.
    Weather Bear
    Dressing bears (doll clothes -- dress them to match weather)
    Where do bears live?