Does anyone create and use their own math program?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jerseygirlteach, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Apr 29, 2014

I'm thinking of ditching the program that we have - Everyday Math :( - and just using the common core standards to create my own through a blend of purchased and self-created resources. Does anyone else do this? I'm thinking it's probably less of an undertaking than what I currently do: try to align EDM with common core by supplimenting and removing unnecessary lessons + modify it to what my students can actually do.

I'm curious if anyone else has ditched a packaged math curriculum and just followed the standards by doing it that way. If so, any recommendations for where I can find inexpensive or free resources to use that align well with the standards?

By the way, no worries about admin not wanting me to do it this way. We have a lot of autonomy with math as long as we're following the standards, and admin knows how bad EDM is. If they had the money to purchase a new program, they would have done it already.

3. ktdclark

ktdclark Comrade

Apr 29, 2014

Yes! I have ditched our math program. I pick a CC area of study in math, peruse CC websites for activities and games, pull from the math program the appropriate practice sheets, and try to create a unit around the standard with various activities.

4. Rox

Rox Cohort

May 1, 2014

My first year of teaching, I had absolutely no Social Studies books, curriculums, workbooks, etc. I had a couple of Atlases, but that was it. So I created everything from scratch. I did have some math workbooks, but it was not a complete curriculum, it was only meant to supplement a math curriculum. It was hard to plan out for the whole year, but I pulled worksheets/activities/lessons from the books, from the web, and I created some as well.

5. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 1, 2014

We use Math Expressions. I want to continue to follow the scope and sequence, while using other activities (the lessons in the book are pretty boring and not very hands-on).

These books have everything you need to know about teaching math:

http://www.amazon.com/Teaching-Stud...eywords=teaching+student+centered+mathematics

http://www.amazon.com/Teaching-Stud...eywords=teaching+student+centered+mathematics

I plan on working on my own math curriculum this summer, using a combination of ME and the above books.

6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 1, 2014

Yes! I use our provincial standards as my guide and then I create activities and lessons that will help students learn and practice those skills. I do a lot through centers and the pick and choose worksheets at necessary from various math programs our school has purchased in the past. There are TONS of resources online - a great summer project, for sure.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 1, 2014

I do this as well; I'm also incorporating a lot of problem-solving activities into my program.

8. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

May 1, 2014

Me three. We do have a textbook, but I use it minimally. Some of my students get excited when they use the textbook :lol:

I also rely a lot on our mapping documents from the district's math mentors.

9. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 1, 2014

I am trying to do more problems solving, too, and math conversations. My kiddos are getting better at explaining their reasoning.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 2, 2014

I have a half class set of textbooks and that works well for me. I use them, at most, once a week. For some units, I don't use them at all.

I should add to this that none of the textbooks available to us match our provincial expectations for math. I don't remember the exact number, but the correlation between the textbook content and our expectations (standards) is somewhere between 60 and 70%. Even if I used the textbook more often than I do, I'd still need to bring in a lot of other resources.

11. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

May 2, 2014

We don't have a math program, so I have to find all my resources for common core math. You really have to pick and choose because everybody doesn't interpret the standards the same way or present them in the same order. I've had to modify a lot of things. That being said, my three favorite online places to pull things from are Engage New York, the Georgia state website, and the Howard County website.

12. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

May 3, 2014

Thanks for the feedback. Do you have links for the Georgia state and Howard County online math resources you referenced?

13. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

May 3, 2014

That's how I've always taught every subject. It's a lot easier now that there is so much available online.

14. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 3, 2014

When speaking with a school, they mentioned they were switching to the free online Georgia math curriculum next year as well. Sorry I don't have more info, but it could be worth checking out.

15. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

May 4, 2014

EngageNY has common core units and resources to go with it. My school has a program for next year, but I have been printing out the Engage modules just to use the resources that come with it. (assessments, homework, classroom, exit tickets)

16. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

May 4, 2014