Does anyone bring their computer to school?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Hamster, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Jul 11, 2008

Our computers at school are JUNK! They take 10 min. to turn on or start a new program. You can buy cheap not very good computers for $300, but they would be way better than what we have at school. Do any of you take your own laptops to school?? They will be on sale for back to college in a few weeks. Would you buy one for school with your own money??:huh:

3. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jul 11, 2008

Depends on what you'd use it for. If I was just going to use it for e-mail, typing up plans, etc, then no, I'd just do that at home. But if it was for the students to use...I would seriously consider buying one.

4. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jul 11, 2008

By the way... I love your avatar! Your hamster is darling!

5. KRaeLamb

KRaeLamb Rookie

Jul 11, 2008

I take my own to school. It was a great investment for me. The only problem I've had is getting on the school wireless network. I finally got on, but the range was terrible. So, I switched to a line.

My school will not buy ink for my personal computer. So, I save everything on a jimp-drive and print from my crappy, slow computer.

Hope this helps you!

6. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Jul 11, 2008

Check into your school's regulations.

I had a parent donate an old(er) computer to school, and we had it all hooked up when technology stopped by and said it needed to be returned to the parents :mad:. They refused to have any compters in school that they weren't able to have full access to and service themselves. I didn't have any in my room last year, so it was sad!

7. glen

glen Companion

Jul 11, 2008

I do bring my lap top. I have a newer version of PowerPoint so I like to make my slide shows/notes using it. We're supposed to be getting new classroom computers next year, so I hopefully won't have to bring it.

8. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Jul 11, 2008

It would not be for the kids. It would be for taking attendance, putting grades on our system and for checking school e-mail. I don't do any personal e-mails at school. (no tiime). I think I'll check the Sunday paper tomorrow and see what my principal says.
    My hamster was a baby in this picture. Rocko is 1 year old now. Thanks for the compliment.

9. BevAnn

BevAnn Rookie

Jul 11, 2008

I used to bring my own personal laptop to school with me and back home again everyday. Our district finally was able to get laptops for every teacher, so now I no longer have to. For what you mentioned wanting to use it for, I would strongly consider checking out the deals in your area and buying your own. You may also want to check with certain of the top brand name companies as many offer discounts for educators. Mine is a Dell and I was able to get a discount. Before that I had a Mac and I also got a discount with them.

10. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2008

I am thankful for my mac laptop my district provides for me. I guess I am lucky in the technology department.

11. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 11, 2008

I think I'm going to like my Mac G5 at my new job. I did buy myself a graduation gift of a color printer/copier/scanner.

12. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 11, 2008

We're receiving brand-new ones next month (Yay!), yet I've brought my own the past few years to show PowerPoint lessons/games with the projector.

13. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Jul 11, 2008

For me it's the other way around.... I bring my school laptop home with me. :) Since most of the work I do is for school anyway, I use my school-issued laptop. No reason to buy my "own" stuff right now when all I need is already provided.

14. MsMaggs

MsMaggs Comrade

Jul 11, 2008

Same for me, DaleJr88AmpFan. Our staff is lucky in that manner, we all do have school provided Dell Laptops that are really great! However, I only have one desktop computer in my classroom. I was thinking of bringing my old desktop and personal laptop into class this year. I'd leave the desktop there, but I'd have to bring my personal and work laptop home everynight (fiance and I would not get along if there were not 2 computers in the house:eek:), so I'm not sure about the personal laptop. But, boy would I LOVE to have 4 computers in my classroom!!! So, I'm still considering it.

Thanks for the tip about checking with Admin, I'll have to do that, but I'm fairly sure it would be okay...

15. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Jul 11, 2008

I would if I could but it wouldn't hook up to our district's network. Just like another poster-I can't have anything kept in my room that tech can't service or have access to. I'm having a dickens of a time getting them to get me a 5' cord so my computer will reach my desk.

16. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2008

We have 3 computers for student use. So, I have to use them as well. No laptop or personal computer for me :(

We use Macs at school. So, I will often bring my Dell laptop to school. Too many times I have saved something to a flash drive and it did not transfer right and won't open on the Mac. So, I will usually bring the lap top just in case.

17. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jul 11, 2008

I just got mine in May as a birthday gift from my family and it has made my life so much easier and versatile as far as teaching. I bring it to work everyday, and home again.

As far as computers in the class, I guess I was lucky to have had 6 good working computers in my class for the students to use. And on the subject of technology, one thing that I would buy for sure is a projector if my school didn't have one, so that I could use if with my laptop. One thing we also had in our school this year which was new was something called an Elmo. It's something like an overhead projector, but you don't have to make the transparencies, you can just put your book, page, math manipulatives or whatever right on the base and it projects onto the wall/screen colour and all...very cool.

18. MsMaggs

MsMaggs Comrade

Jul 11, 2008

I want an Elmo and a projector soooooo badly!!! We have a projector at school, but only 1 that we all have to share! I want my own!!!

19. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jul 11, 2008

My school was pretty good in the technology department. We had 4 projectors to share between 8 classes and we also had 4 Elmos. Besides that each class had 5-6 computers for student use (about half of them were new Dells).

I speak in the past tense, because I was declared surplus there in June, so it's no longer my school. When I do get placed somewhere, if they don't at least have projectors, I will get one of my own to use in my class--it opens up so many doors for teaching. Elmos are a little more expensive though.

20. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 11, 2008

I'm blessed in the technology dept. too. All teachers have laptops and I have 6 student desk tops. I do not want to share computers with the students.

21. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 11, 2008

We have to take ours home. The district does not want them in school over night.

22. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 11, 2008

We don't have Elmos, but we do have something like them called Lumens document cameras.

23. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 11, 2008

I bought a Mac laptop and use it everyday at school! I would be lost without it. Plus, that way I was able to give the teacher computer for student use. On days when I have to use the teacher computer I'm :mad: because they are SO SLOW!!!

24. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 11, 2008

I have my own personal laptop (I just sold my PC and got a mac yay!) and we also have laptops for teachers at my school. It was soooooo old and slow! But we are getting new ones in October! So I'll two brand new mac laptops! I thought about not buying one for myself and just using the school laptop at home, but I need a place for my own pictures and music and documents. I don't want all that on the school laptop.

25. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 11, 2008

I brought mine to school every day last year! I hated it because if I ran errands after school it had to come with me and it got to be a pain the the A. They are giving all the teachers new macbooks for next year! YAY! Mine will STAY at school! My thumbdrive will be the only thing I bring back and forth.

I am excited because this will allow me to bike commute. I can't do that well with a laptop in my backpack! (I would worry about it too much.)

26. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 11, 2008

With these gas prices I wish I lived close enough for a bike commute. :D

27. Mr Flamingo

Mr Flamingo Rookie

Jul 11, 2008

All the teachers at my school have a mac laptop. I also bring it home as well to complete school work.