Does anyone administer the MAP test?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by wholelottarosie, Jul 8, 2007.

1. wholelottarosie

wholelottarosie Rookie

Jul 8, 2007

I would like to know what teachers think of the MAP test (Measure of Academic Progress)?

What states use it to satisfy the testing requirements of No Child Left Behind?

Here in Washington State we give the WASL (Washington Assessment of Student Learning), but some districts are wanting to replace WASL with MAP.

Our WASL is very controversial because it is subjective, time consuming, and VERY expensive (about $72 per student).

Any information on the MAP test would be helpful.

3. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jul 11, 2007

I don't have information but am curious too. I've recently heard my school will be using the MAP test next year. I don't know anything about it.

Info anyone?

4. Dee452

Dee452 Comrade

Jul 11, 2007

My district uses MAP. I like it because after the student takes the test ( fall, winter, spring) you can see which standard the students are weak in and group accordingly.

It is an ongoing process with what they have learned and still need to learn to get ready for our state test PACT (Palmetto Achievement Challenge Test)

This helps me with my LD Resource students.

5. wholelottarosie

wholelottarosie Rookie

Jul 11, 2007

Are you saying that students take it three times a year? How long does that take?

I also hear that it is done on the computer, if so, do you need to have enough computers for all students to take it at the same time? We generally only have three to five computers per classroom.

Thank you for your response.

6. 1stYearTeacher

1stYearTeacher Companion

Jul 11, 2007

The school I did my student teaching at uses MAP as well as all the other schools in the district. I took all my students to the computer lab and we completed it there. It took some students 10-15 minutes and others more than an hour. It really depends on how many questions students are getting right. The program monitors students answers and provides them with more challenging questions if they are doing well. If the students get x amount wrong in a certain span then the testing stops. I only remember the test being adminstered twice in the year at the school I was at but I may be wrong.

7. Dee452

Dee452 Comrade

Jul 11, 2007

The curriculum coordinator sets up times for each class to take the test in the computer lab.

Like 1st year said the time it takes depends on how many questions a student answers.

We test three times a year. The fall test is to get a baseline for the students that we use throughout the year. When we do the spring test it compares the two scores and records the amount of growth the student has had over the year.

8. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Jul 11, 2007

My old district which I just transferred from is going to start doing MAP testing. I don't know a lot about it, but it looked really nice. They were going to do it K-2. My old school didn't have a uniformed testing, so that was nice.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 11, 2007

Our students have used the MAP test for two years. They take it twice per year, fall & spring. It's a great way to see who needs help, and it's very specific on the goals and standards.

10. wholelottarosie

wholelottarosie Rookie

Jul 11, 2007

It sounds as if most of you that use MAP, do so in addition to your state test that is required by No Child Left Behind (NCLB).

I have heard that Idaho uses MAP as their state test to fulfill NCLB and I would like to see Washington do so as well.

That would mean that Washington State would have to dump our WASL test that we have spent MILLIONS on. But so far it seems that MAP is more useful, less expensive, and less time consuming.

The more I learn about MAP, the more I like it!

Does anyone else have an opinion?

Could anyone from Idaho confirm that MAP is the state test?