Does anyone actually like the first day of school?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 25, 2013

I for one, do not! Tomorrow is my first day. I don't dread going in, but I just hate all the butterflies, the unknowns, the confusion of not having set routines, and having students so much younger than you just had 3 months ago. I don't like any of it. :unsure: I usually don't settle in for a few weeks to a month.

Is there anyone that likes the brand-new feeling of a school year?

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 25, 2013

Yes! This is my third year. I love meeting my kids and getting to start over.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2013

Love it!

There are lots of uncertainties about this new year, and I'm nervous about some of it, but I absolutely can't wait!

5. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 25, 2013

I'm in my 13 year and I still hope the first day goes quick because having to go over rules, procedures, and expectations is such a challenging part of the first day. I try to remember that, as overwhelming as it feels for me, it's probably even worse for the kids.

6. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 25, 2013

I don't... but only because we're on block schedule, so I have two first days. I teach one grade level. That's two full days of saying exactly the same thing over and over again.

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 25, 2013

It certainly flies by pretty quickly! ;) I still have butterflies, but I'm excited this year-I have some classroom community activities that I just can't wait to do with my kiddos.

I do really dislike having to put away more supplies after everything looks so organized. And trying to shoo out parents. I also just get exhausted those first couple of weeks before my body gets used to that schedule again.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2013

I like it! The excitement, shiny faces, sharpened pencils, hopeful parents:love:

9. dave1mo

dave1mo Comrade

Aug 25, 2013

I really like the first day and getting to see students I haven't seen in a few months, in addition to the new students I've never met (it's like a sports draft! Who will I get?). I hate the first week after that though. I never have it planned very well because our school's schedule is constantly changing that week, students are being into/out of classes, etc. It just feels like a big cluster-eff.

10. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 25, 2013

Dave, I totally agree. I like the first week (three days) but then I want to fast forward to September.

11. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 25, 2013

Looks like I'm a weirdo :rolleyes:

I do like getting to start over, though. I can't think of many jobs that allow you to do that.

12. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 25, 2013

Pisces, I wonder how much it varies by grade level? I'm sure a grade K or 1 teacher has a much harder first day than me with sophomores and seniors. My kids are used to first day routines! There also aren't any tears!

13. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Aug 25, 2013

I'm mixed...some years yes and some years no! This year, for instance, I was excited because we started in our new building. However, there were lots of us that did not have classrooms ready because of last minute construction and janitorial stuff. I especially dreaded the first day because we had a lot of routines (lunch, recess, etc) that our P didn't inform of how they'd work. Granted some of them were going to be trial and error, but she didn't even give us a place to start!

Anyway...enough venting! It just depends on the situation for me!

14. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Aug 25, 2013

I agree with you! I totally dislike starting back at the beginning with a new class and going back to teaching procedures all over again. It's stressful for me to have to figure out all new personalities, new modifications, etc..

Last week was our first week but we only went for 2 days, so tomorrow will be our first full week. I can feel the butterflies already

15. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Aug 25, 2013

I hate the first month :lol:.

It's stressful, they're not ready for "intense" academics----I feel like we hit our stride as a class in October.

16. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 25, 2013

i like the first day!

This summer, I got together with 2 other teachers and we completely revamped the first day to make it a memorable day for students. We scheduled it down to the minute, assigned roles to teachers. Admin approved the plan (with a few tweaks) and the first day was a HUGE success!

We had morning coffee/cappuccino for students, music, 7 minute class periods, games, laptop checkout, laptop training class, spirit activities, class meetings, club/organization signups, snacks, social mixers.

17. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 25, 2013

I don't! I much prefer to be into the regular routine. It always takes me a couple of weeks for my body to adjust too...I usually end up feeling miserable by the end of the day and then I come home and can't do anything but take a long nap right away.

18. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Aug 25, 2013

I like it because I have a lot of the same students so I get to see them again (though there are one or two I could do without seeing again :))

19. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Aug 25, 2013

I guess I'm different. My favorite months are the first few months, and my least favorite is the last month when the students and I are tired and ready for a break.

Where else can someone start fresh each year? I enjoy seeing the look of excitement and wonder in their eyes on the first day. Starting our first novel together, having them work together on their first science experiment...these are precious moments to me. I enjoy the clean slate each year where anything seems possible.

Yes, I do admit the practicing routines and the time it takes to get them good at it, does get a bit old. Once the routines are in place and the teaching begins those first few weeks, I am in my favorite working time of the year.

20. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 25, 2013

I don't like it.

I'm not actually teaching, and the day is boring. About three days in I am in my routine, and things are great.

21. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 25, 2013

The first day is the second best day, after the last.

Overall, I don't like the first month because it takes about a month for teenagers to show you who they really are. Everyone is on their best behavior the first few weeks - it's all a façade. It's not until late September that their true characters start to shine (or bring doom and gloom).

When people ask me during the first week, "how is it going?"; I tell them to ask me in a month.

22. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 25, 2013

I have mixed feelings about it. Mainly though, it's an eh type feeling, but we do what we have to do, right!

I haven't been genuinely excited since I was a child in elementary school myself.

23. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

Aug 25, 2013

I dislike it. I hate the nerves I get and I hate the lack of routine. I like when I'm in my routine, my staff are on a routine, and especially when the students are on a routine.

24. Mellz Bellz

Mellz Bellz Comrade

Aug 25, 2013

I like it. It's a new beginning and I find the new 6th graders nervousness and deer in headlight expressions adorable. Once they get comfortable in a routine they aren't so cute so it's nice to enjoy it while I can. It's always a bit chaotic but we manage to get through it.

25. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Aug 25, 2013

I like some parts of it, like the newness and being able to start over. But I don't like having to go through procedures 5 times in a row and I don't like not knowing all of my students' names. I'm much more comfortable when I have a set routine and I have a good feel for my classes.

26. Sm2teach

Sm2teach Companion

Aug 25, 2013

I like it, though I am still nervous after all these years. I get the same feeling I did when I was a student in school. New school clothes, new classmates. So much fun.

27. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Aug 25, 2013

I'm lucky enough with my position that 2/3 of my students are not new to me, and all I feel is excitement about seeing them again. I honestly have missed them all summer. Middle schoolers can be so entertaining.

I am most nervous about my 6th graders, because I don't know what to expect from them. Thankfully I teach them first so I get to take care of those butterflies right away.

I really want to have a much better year classroom management wise, and I am a little nervous about making sure I do it right. I really had a great first year, but I think it would have been even better if I had a firmer grip on my management plan.

28. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Aug 25, 2013

This will be my 4th year teaching, but only my 2nd in my current position and teaching self-contained. So, I'm nervous for my first day. I'm happier when I know my students well and we're in an established routine.

29. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 25, 2013

I love the build up - getting the room ready, seeing everyone I haven't seen all summer, planning for a great opening.

But I hate the first few days of school. All I do is talk at the kids; they don't know the rules, expectations or the way to 'keep your dear teacher happy' yet. Once we get into the routine and they know what I mean when I ask them to take out their 'blue' workbooks, things are great. First few days? Yuck!

30. elleveeaych

elleveeaych Rookie

Aug 25, 2013

I'm mostly excited for tomorrow, I cannot WAIT to see my kids. I've missed them and the new ones I've met seem so fun, but there are so many variables with my kids that rely on the parents bringing in the right personal care supplies and medications and forms etc. You'd be surprised at how many come in unprepared and then seem shocked when I can't give their kids their medicine because they brought it in a plastic baggie...or drop off their child who has the high potential for severe seizures without speaking with the nurse to create an action plan...gahhh.
    Part of our schedule is also still up in the air because the class sizes in the rest of the school are up in the air and I hate that..it leaves me feeling so vulnerable when I don't have a set schedule yet. I'm prepared as much as I possibly can be but I'll be happy when this week is over : )

31. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2013

I was never one to enjoy the first day of school. Once the first week was over, I was much better!

32. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 26, 2013

I enjoy the first day of school overall. The kids are still so nervous, and quiet. It's cute. :) At the end of the day I am usually on cloud nine!

However, I do hate the butterflies, and the unknowns. You don't really know the dynamics of the students in your classroom yet. It's a scary thing.

33. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 26, 2013

I totally hate this part!!! I try to mix it up with read-alouds, games, etc., but it really is a lot of me talking to them.