Does anybody use Moon Sand in their sensory table?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by vannapk, Sep 25, 2009.

1. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Sep 25, 2009

I was thinking about putting Moon Sand in my sensory table and was wondering if anybody has done this before and what their advice/experience has been? We have tile floors and we can't have rice because it causes us to trip and fall. Dirt gets the floor muddy when the kids drip their wet hands on it, then they track it on the circle time carpet etc. I recently heard about Moon Sand and am very interested but I can only find it locally in 5 lb bags @ the teacher stores which isn't nearly enough to fill a sensory table. Has anybody found the 20 lb bags on-line for a good price? I found the 20 lb bags at Kaplan for $60 but I'm sure it must be available somewhere else for less. The district gives us $65per year to spend and I want to make it stretch :) I know I can use other things like shredded paper or packing peanuts etc. but in order to meet our science standards it has to be something they can measure and pour. I think the moon sand would have an added benefit of exercising fine motor skills too since they can mold it.

TIA

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 25, 2009

We had moon sand at home.... not as "moldy" as it looks on TV. It was quite messy to say the least. I thought it would be great stuff...but was really disappointed with it. We actually ended up pitching it!!!

I just wanted to give you an honest review of it before you think it would help keep things neater.

4. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Sep 25, 2009

Thanks, appreciate it!

5. preteach

preteach Rookie

Sep 25, 2009

I agree that it is a bit messy. We had a rug under our table and the moon sand really got ground into it. The kids do love it though.

6. Kase

Kase Companion

Sep 25, 2009

I put a sheet under my sensory table..My kids love it and it definitely molds very well! I was able to make a small structure and pick it up to show my kids. I don't bring it out too often but when I do my kids can stand there for hours and play in it! Plus I love messes myself and the messier my curriculum is, the more the kids love it and they learn. They love to help clean it up as well!

7. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Sep 25, 2009

I have found it to be very expensive everywhere. Is cornmeal too slick for your floors. Cornmeal is my favorite, and I leave it in most of the time.

8. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Sep 25, 2009

I use Moon Sand in the classroom but not in my sensory table. I have different colors that I put in trays on a table. The kids can use cookie cutters and little molds in the trays.

9. pinkteacher123

pinkteacher123 Rookie

Sep 25, 2009

I would like to find some of the ice cube trays that make shaped cubes (stars, flowers, animals). I think it would be a neat tool to use with moon sand, and it would be neat to change the molds with the seasons too.

10. Terri in CA

Terri in CA Rookie

Sep 25, 2009

"Santa" gave my 2 kids moon sand a few years back. They loved it! But my floors didnt! The carpet got it ground in and I couldnt clean it up with out a vacume, and my hardwood floors got it stuck inbetween the joints! In a classroom I would recomend having a tarp or something down so it wont mess up the floors and have the janitor hate you!

11. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 25, 2009

yep, santa brought it to my kids as well. The liked it, but they like other sens items as well. They were not happy with how hard it was to work with.

12. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Sep 25, 2009

I observed/did a pre-practicum for two semesters in a collaborative preschool/kindergarten and that was by far the favorite center choice. The kids loved it! The teacher had the molds for the kids to use in the table and the kids always built with it and used the molds. They love it. It is messy and I def like the idea of having it in the table- so there is less mess. I am so excited because my father is making me a sensory table for Christmas!

13. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Sep 25, 2009

I have also used moon sand for sensory. It is messy. I have always needed to have newspaper or a sheet covering the table or desk. I have found it at Target. I just don't remember the cost.

14. Kase

Kase Companion

Sep 25, 2009

I know on Lakeshore they sell it for 20 bucks/5 lb bag. I saw it at Target as well but can't remember the price.

15. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 25, 2009

I let mine use it on the table that is on linoleum. It sweeps up just fine, but yes it is messy.

16. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Sep 26, 2009

update

Thanks for all the info! I have a very large sensory table in a classroom where the floors are all tile. The only carpet we have is for circle time on the other side of the room. The sensory table is located in the corner next to the sink. My sensory table is very large, 3 kids could easily stand on one side, it's this one from Lakeshore. I decided to put 3 dish tubs inside, one per child and fill each tub with Moon Sand. I found Moon Sand on sale for $13 per 5 lb bag at Constructive Playthings and I also had a $5 off coupon so I bought 3 bags, all the same color. I have 3 little wisk brooms from the dollar tree that my students have always used to sweep up afterwards. I will let you know how it works out. Maybe I will regret it but I think the kids will love it! I'm also going to put ABC molds and the lakeshore playdough letter stampers in the table, I can't wait! I'm hesitant to use any food products because of the big bugs down here in TX :(

17. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Sep 26, 2009

We used to have Jurassic Sand for our sensory table. It's very similar to the moon sand. You just add water to it and the kids can mold with it. When it dries out, it goes back to being regular sand again. It probably doesn't mold as wonderfully as Moon sand but for what preschool age kids are going to do it will work great. This is the cheapest I've seen it at this site.

I like it better than the Moon sand.

18. Hummingbrd

Hummingbrd Rookie

Sep 26, 2009

I use modeling sand from Lakeshore which is similiar to Moon Sand. http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/se...T<>ast_id&ASSORTMENT<>ast_id=1408474395181113 I bought two 5 lbs for my sensory table. The children love it and it lasts forever as long as it stays in the table and not on the floor! Before we introduced it, we talked how to use it and about keeping it in the table. I've had some children who liked to form it into balls and throw it. :eek: Bt if you keep and eye on how they are using it, it will become a sensory table favorite.

19. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Sep 27, 2009

You have inspired me! I bought a couple small containers of Moon Sand today at the store, going to try it for centers this week - and if we love it - I'll get some more for the sensory table!

20. mscaitlin

mscaitlin Rookie

Oct 14, 2009

We use it. The kids do tend to make a mess and moon sand is pretty expensive. ($6 for one tub!)Just make sure you watch them as they play. But otherwise, it's SO much fun.

21. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

Oct 16, 2009

I'm surprised a lot of the posters found their kids didn't like moon sand...my class adores it. I even bought a toddler-sized sand table just for moon sand. Those little inflatable things didn't work for me.

22. darlin77

darlin77 Rookie

Oct 19, 2009

I actually love moonsand and so do my kids. I found it on a very good sale on Amazon. Just know that it will get on the floor, but my kids know they get to vacuum it up when we're done. A sensory table would be really good to contain it. I use sheetcake pans (one per child) and put one color on each. This keeps it pretty contained, but it's still messy. It is really fun though.

23. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

24. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Oct 20, 2009

I was looking at the sales circulars on Sunday and I think toys r us actually has a deal on moon sand this week. It made me think of this post- so I do not know how good of a sale, but you might want to check that out in case you are running low or want to try it or whatever