Does anybody out there love teaching?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by b-radical, Mar 16, 2007.

1. b-radical

b-radical Companion

Mar 16, 2007

I really enjoy the 'vent' value of this site, but does anyone out there come home after a long, difficult week and still love going back into that crazy classroom on Monday?

My students earned a very cool Renaissance Friday this week, and after they all left, I sat in the room with the lights out and just looked at their "story telling" stained glass windows, their Vitruvian You projects, the identifiable pencils on the floor, and the beginnings of Macbeth playbills--from sixth graders!

Teaching is such a crazy, wonderful, exhausting pursuit.
    I'd love to hear from people who love it in spite of the odds....

3. Teaching Goose

Teaching Goose Rookie

Mar 16, 2007

You are right when you say it is crazy and wonderful all in the same sentence. I have taught in public school for fifteen years and each year there is always a surprise, sometimes good, sometimes not so good. I love that I'm the one who teaches kinders how to read and spell their name or even tie their shoes. Where I teach I get to be the first, not their parents, but me and I when I'm out sick or otherwise I'm stupid enough to believe that I'm the best teacher for that group of kids. I love everything there is about teaching even the ugly stuff because I, along with thousands of other teachers, do this job for that special feeling you get when one or a few kids get it. I get paid to do what I love and still get to be a mom too. I don't care how much other jobs make or don't I know that I will help make a future someone and that is all that matters.

4. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Mar 17, 2007

I look forward to going into my class everyday. Every day is an adventure and every day something happens to let me know that I am exactly where I should be. I have formed a real connection with a few of my kids and that is the greatest reward. When one tells you he/she wants you to be his/her teacher next year too, or tells you that you are his/her hero in an essay, or says that he/she will miss you during March Break or when one who just has no motivation for school work actually does his/her homework, those are the little things that make it all worth it. It lets you know you are making a difference.

5. Zhang

Zhang Rookie

Mar 17, 2007

I DO! I think I have really found my calling. Each day is something special for me.
    My situation may be a little different from the norm. I am an American teaching Oral English in China. The students always smile and say hello to me when we pass in the hall. The responses I get in class from the students is always very enthusiastic as they are eager to learn. At the end of the week I am often very tired however, I am happy. When I know that I have helped some students achieve a better understand of the language and that I have helped make a difference, is really what it is all about.

6. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Mar 17, 2007

There is nothing I'd rather be doing! I love seeing my students engaged and excited about reading, which is something they were anything BUT excited about a few months ago.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 17, 2007

I love it when kids learn they CAN do math, sometimes after years of being convinced that they can't.

I love the fact that by mid August, even as I'm loving the sun and the pool, I'm thinking ahead to what I'll cover and how I'll do it.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 17, 2007

I went into the lunch room the other day smiling from ear to ear. My middle school math kids had been so excited about class the previous period! And, sometimes, the mom in me gets a really peaceful and fulfilled feeling when I see my 5th graders working together on a project and really getting into it. I also treasure reading aloud every day - especially when the kids beg and beg for more. (I often give in.)

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 17, 2007

I do love what I'm doing--although there are days when I want to throw in the towel, in the long run I can't see doing anything else and feeling the same sense of fulfillment. Knowing that I make a difference in these young lives keeps me going through the mountains of paperwork. I love the fact that I am able to learn along with my students and model for them that even at my "old" age, I still get excited about learning something new.

10. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 17, 2007

I am not teaching now, but when I was there were days I didn't love, and administrators I didn't always love, but the kids I always loved, and that is important.

Now, as I am not teaching... I can tell you. I do miss working with kids

11. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Mar 17, 2007

I love my job and can't imagine doing anything else. Like Miss Frizzle said there are some days I don't. I love the moment when the kids are finally getting something!

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 17, 2007

I love love love my job. That does not mean I don't get to vent sometimes. I love the discoveries my class and I make together. I love how I learn something new from kids everyday (yes, I'm also a learner in my classroom-even after 10 years of teaching...) I'm constantly seeking new ways to facilitate learning in my classroom, keep it new and motivating-for me and the kids. I love working with other PROFESSIONALS, do not have time for those who are not 'invested' in what they do as educators, love that my kids get excited about learning. I don't plan on ever getting burned out...sure there are days when I'm tired or frustrated but I look for ways to get past that and keep moving ahead in a positive direction. The kids deserve teachers who are excited about what they are doing- those who are not should get the HECK OUT!!

13. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Mar 17, 2007

Yes, yes, yes, I love my job. I can't believe I get paid to do it (although I confess, I do not get paid much), because I enjoy it so much! Especially at this time of year, when I can sit back, and look at all the progress my little ones have made, it is just so exciting!

14. b-radical

b-radical Companion

Mar 17, 2007

You have no idea how helpful it is to read so many positive comments. Sometimes the negativity from others in my school can be draining and discouraging.

Just recently I was thinking back to the beginning of the year when I had a 37 letter word on the board, which scared the kids to death! "Welcome to sixth grade," I said. "You may not believe it now, but by March, you'll know what this word means without having to use a dictionary."
    I put the word on the board again last week, and by golly, THEY KNEW IT! They instinctively burst into cheers and applause! Definitely a goose bump moment....

15. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Mar 17, 2007

What was the word ??

16. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Mar 17, 2007

I'm a mid-career changer. In my "old" career, I can remember rare days when I woke up eager to go to work. Now, I am so pleased and happy to be student teaching in a school I love with teachers and students. All of them, even the ones whom I wouldn't choose as personal best friends, all of them inspire me to think and grow and be part of this community. I have found the job I can wake up eager to do. That is a blessing in life, believe me.

17. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Mar 17, 2007

I believe that most teachers LOVE their teaching and their subjects and their students. It's the peripherals that we don't love: the politics and the drama and the dysfunctional families and the ridiculous administrators and the heliocopter mothers and all the people (some, tragically, in authority) who don't seem to know what they're doing. These things take away a lot of the joy, but there is usually enough left to make it all worthwhile.

Venting is something teachers MUST do, or else we'll explode. We love our students so much that when things happen that are unacceptable, esp. when it would be so simple to make things RIGHT, we have to 'tell' for our own good, and often for the good of the students. Making things public is the only way to let the public know, duh. Besides, if teachers didn't vent to each other, we'd all be in the loony bin, or maybe even prison for giving some of these parents exactly what they deserved.

So please don't think that just because teachers vent on this forum that we don't love our actual jobs; we do. We vent because other outside things prevent us from doing our jobs as we know we could be doing them better.

Speaking of venting, do any of you read "The Irascible Professor?" He pays for articles about education, and one of mine is running there this week; that makes THREE he's accepted! Some of you should submit articles to him! Sometimes, it's another venue for venting, but it's one that gets results a lot of the time.

18. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 17, 2007

Thanks for this link Mamacita--great article. I've added the site to my Favourites.

19. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Mar 17, 2007

I love teaching. There is nothing else I would feel as passionate as I do teaching. I have to say the class I have this year is very difficult. I teach in an inclusion class. I love it but have a lot of behavioral problems this year. Not even from the special ed children but the regular ed. I look forward to coming to work every day and cant wait to see my students. I love each one of them.

20. JCarchy

JCarchy Rookie

Mar 22, 2007

Teaching Keeps me Sane

I am not in the classroom every single weekday like many of the people that read and post to this website. But, most semesters, I teach a class at our local community college. I teach anthropology: intro to Physical Anthro, Intro to Archaeology, Intro to Cultural Anthro.

My "real" job is working 40 hours a week in a windowless building, doing "environmental oversight" at a military base. It sucks. I mean, my job is draining me. I have been here 10 years, and right now it is the worst it has ever been for me.

But I can have the WORST day in the office, and then go to my night-time anthro class, and the world is good again. Teaching revives me.

Sometimes I have a class that ranges from AP highschool kids, up to 60-year-old realty salesmen, with everything in between. It is challenging, to say the least, to engage the greatest number of students possible, when they represent such an age range (and range of cultures, socioeconomic status, etc.). But it works; I do it, and I love it.

But my connection to the local community college has no future-- so I want to become a full time middle school teacher, and that is what I am working toward. I want to work with 12 and 14-year olds and show them how to love science like I do.

jc

21. b-radical

b-radical Companion

Mar 22, 2007

I used to teach Critical Thinking as well as Technology and Society at a local community college with class rosters very similar to yours, jc. Like you, teaching revived me. And, like you, that's when I decided to go into teaching full time.

Keep working toward that wonderful goal!! I'm living proof that dead-ends can definitely END!

22. BigJim

BigJim Rookie

Mar 23, 2007

I couldnt do anything else.

23. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Mar 23, 2007

Yes, I love my job. I look forward to going to work each day. I'm always on the lookout for some new way to reach our goals.

24. childcare teach

childcare teach Comrade

Mar 23, 2007

I LOVE TEACHING . GRANTED THERE ARE DAYS THAT SAY I DISLIKE MY JOB. BUT THET ARE FEW AND FAR BETWEEN.EVERY DAY IS DIFFENT .I NEVER KNOW HAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN

25. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2007

Couldn't agree with you more. When asked do you miss teaching. I say I really miss the kids, but not all the extra bull we have to put up with (all the paper work)!!!

26. trina

trina Companion

Apr 3, 2007

I had an I LOVE MY JOB week last week. We took 20 of our middle schoolers to Washington DC. I absolutely fell in love more deeply with those kids than ever before. I loved that I had 3 8th grade girls in my hotel room, and we stayed up late talking girl talk. This consisted mainly of me encouraging them not to date and stop being boy crazy, etc.

They got raving compliments on their behavior and manners (we grow them "nice" in the south) which validated all of the fussing and correction we are always giving them.

I loved seing the wonder in their eyes when they saw the Lincoln Memorial, the solemn stares at the Vietnam Wall, and the way they said the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag flying on top of the White House at the top of their lungs....and then danced while they sang an even louder rendition of My Country 'Tis of Thee with the police laughing at their joy. I loved the girls who scoffed when I said the mall was beautiful, not yet realizing that it was a lawn, not a shopping mall, and the embarrassment that followed. I was amazed at the amount of food a 13 year old boy can eat at once. I cried when they all removed their hats without being told at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. I beamed with pride when our tour guide was giving one last talk before leaving our bus; she said our group of kids had restored her faith in the youth of America, and that in 14 years of being a professional tour guide, she had never had such a pleasant, non-complaining and inquisitive group.

I know that God called me to teach, and there is no better confirmation than this.

27. Anyalee

Anyalee Companion

Apr 3, 2007

I am a first year teacher, and I don't love this job yet. Is there still hope for me? There were days that I hated this job at the beginning of the year- but those days are gone. Sometimes there are certain students that I REALLY dislike. Is that ok? What year of teaching would you say you started Loving teaching?

28. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Apr 3, 2007

I'm a first year teacher and I love my job. I think it helps that I have a good administration. I can tell my friends and family that I look forward to going back to work everyday, even though most of them do not. Granted it's more stressful at times, but what job isn't? Luckily, I have been blessed with a husband that puts up with me putting in time on the weekends to work in my classroom too!

29. Anyalee

Anyalee Companion

Apr 3, 2007

Maybe grade level has something to do with it too? I teach 160 7th and 8th graders.

30. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Apr 3, 2007

I absoloutely love teaching its my passion and a large part of my life. I love seeing when the students are intrested in learning or when something just clicks!

31. BeckyPie7

BeckyPie7 Companion

Apr 3, 2007

I also love my job. It's my first year and it's been so HARD. There were days I would sit at home sobbing and, in the beginning, I did not want to go to school. Gradually that changed. I started to "not mind" that I was going to school. Now, when I have a particuarly good lesson, I'm very happy to go to school. There are still days I don't know if I'm doing it right, and I wish I had stayed at my "comfy" job, but I love knowing that I'm making at difference, or at least trying to. I love finding new and fun things for the kids to do. I love seeing my kids get something they didn't before, or hearing them talk about the stories we're reading.
    Granted, there are still days when my lesson isn't AMAZING, days when I feel like just making them read and answer questions. I still get angry at behavior and wrack my brain for things to do, after all, it is my first year.
    When I started someone told me that if it wasn't for me I needed to get out. I thought about that. At first I was sure it wasn't for me. Now I'm sure it is.