Does age make it harder?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by lionvirion, Jul 30, 2014.

1. lionvirion

lionvirion Rookie

Jul 30, 2014

My husband has been looking for a job and put in about 80 applications, had 10 interviews and got 1 offer which is out of state and will require a cross country move.

He's a career changer and is looking for his first position at age 30. Do you think this made it harder? Will he have a better chance in New York, where we live, next year after a year of experience?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2014

At 30, age isn't an issue. What kind of experience does your husband have?

4. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2014

Definitely not at age 30! That's still very young. If someone is over 50 or 60, maybe. My school hired two career changers this year. They are both in their 30's.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2014

I agree. I don't think 30 is an issue. If anything, I think it would help!

6. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jul 30, 2014

I was hired at 38. Career-changer, too! Starting my 2nd year... :D

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2014

Wow, when I saw the header about age, I thought someone was going to talk about people my age, and I won't even tell you what that is. You didn't mention what he wants to teach, which may have a great deal with his difficulty in getting a job. Elem. Ed.? Might be a problem - it is the strong hold of female teachers, not that there aren't a few men in the ranks. As the grades go up, the number of men in the ranks also rises. In HS, I believe that male candidates have an edge. Does he have a teaching degree or significant experience? Is he alternate route? What is his current day job? Is it something that a school board can see as added value? Experience always helps get future jobs. If his current job doesn't seem to translate well into teaching, he may have to educate the hiring committees about why he is better qualified with that background than with, perhaps, a traditional teaching career. The problem is that at his age he probably hasn't been doing the current career for a really long time, which may make schools wonder how long he will stay with teaching if they give him a chance. I believe that people can listen to their heart at any point in their life and change gears accordingly, so consider this more of me being devil's advocate and presenting things you may not have considered.

Good luck!

8. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 30, 2014

As someone who was over 50 when I started my credential program, I don't think 30 is thought of as anything other than very normal. One thing that might be an issue is how well your husband articulates why he is switching career paths.

It is generally the case that it is easier to find a job after getting some experience. I have heard of a few districts/schools that seem to have a strong preference for brand new teachers.

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2014

Some districts hire new teachers to keep salary costs down. Keep them two years, then move on to more new teachers, before tenure can kick in. I'm not saying it is a bad economic plan, but it is hard on school morale.

10. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Jul 30, 2014

I find the age thing goes both ways. I see people on here saying that they have difficulty getting hired because they are older and are passed over for younger, inexperienced teachers. However I'm in my 20s and have been passed over a number of times for older, more experienced teachers. I guess the "age thing" depends where you live and in what school you're applying to. For example, my friend works in a school where the entire staff is in their 20s-30s because the principal likes hiring new/younger teachers.

In your husband's case, 30 is still very young and experience helps anyone! I've had more actual teaching job interviews this season because I spent a year working in a public school, as opposed to being fresh out of school. Best of luck to you both!

11. lionvirion

lionvirion Rookie

Jul 31, 2014

He's actually going to be a first year school psychologist. His experience before is in a law office so it really has nothing to do with his current work. I just wondered if they basically expect you to be 23 if you have zero experience and they think it's weird if you're 30 but I guess not! I think after a few years at this job out of state he can maybe apply back here in NY and have a better result.

12. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jul 31, 2014

Generally speaking, a school psych is going to be a little older anyway. In my area , they must have at least a master's, and some even have a doctorate - and that takes time!

13. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2014

You found a job - is it out of state? I think you said yes, but just checking. If so, it is possible that you may NOT return to NY, ever. Life is funny like that. My hubbie swore to my mother that we would eventually be back in the midwest, where I lived and we met, but we moved to NJ and guess what? I am certain at this point that someday I will die in NJ. NOT what I had planned, but the reality of the situation. It's OK, it's home now, so just a "what happened to me could happen to you" kind of a heads up!:)

14. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jul 31, 2014

I'm 28 and got hired, AND a career-changer (more like a career-path changer since I couldn't even get a job in the graphic design field! And okay, I'm not 30 yet but I'm close!)

30 isn't old. And in any interview I went on, they never asked for my age. And ****, a cross country move sounds intense. I'm also from NY and the search was very tough, and I couldn't afford to look out-of-state.

Good luck to any decisions you guys make.

15. lionvirion

lionvirion Rookie

Aug 1, 2014

Interesting, Lynettestoy! Honestly, I don't care since we're going back to where I'm from (Kansas). If he is incredibly unhappy there and dying to come back of course I'll do anything to get back here. But, I don't think he will. We have way more friends here and the cost of living is incomparable as you probably know. We could much more easily become home owners in Kansas and soon, even if I don't find a teaching job this year (I'm elementary, he's a school psych). NY is **** tough. He put in about 40 apps in Westchester county and heard NOTHING.. only got interviews in Connecticut and no offer. Kansas it is .. for now.

16. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2014

Although from Missouri, our son went to KU, so it is pretty much all the same to me now - NOT NJ. Cost of living - so much better. Friends will be made wherever you go. Family will learn that the road travels both ways, and life is just a little less hectic in the midwest, over all. I wish you well and hope you find what you are looking for and what you need. My son would love to go back to Kansas, so it must be pretty special.

17. snowball2014

snowball2014 Rookie

Aug 5, 2014

Unfortunately, age will be an issue. Administration usually hires themselves from 20 years ago, that is to say, 22 year old kids with no experience, perspective, or culture.
    *Consider the offer