Does a year-long leave replacement = benefits? (NYC)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by CrayolaCrayon, Jul 27, 2014.

1. CrayolaCrayon

CrayolaCrayon Companion

Jul 27, 2014

Hi,

I am having trouble understanding something within NYC public schools. Does a leave replacement (a full year) mean that a substitute teacher is entitled to benefits? What about teacher salary? I have been asking around but keep hearing different things...

CrayolaCrayon

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2014

You need to ask HR. I did not get benefits my first semester, and then had to wait 2 months into the second to get benefits. That is NJ, but I am willing to bet something similar in NY.

4. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 28, 2014

I'm not sure about NYC, but many LI schools will start you off as a per diem sub for a certain number of days, usually 45 or so, and then give you a pro-rated contract salary for the rest of the year and most often no benefits because you were per diem for part of the year.

Call HR or your school payroll secretary.

5. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 28, 2014

Nope no benefits unless they hire you as an actual teacher on staff. If you're still getting sub pay, no benefits come with that.

6. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Jul 28, 2014

Our lts are paid as per diem subs so no benefits and no teacher salary (I work in NYC) however this can change based on how the p hires you

7. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 28, 2014

It depends in NC. Just on how the principal wants to allocate his funding. It could be a long-term sub here or it could be "time certain". The second is like a regular teacher position except you don't build up time towards tenure or retirement. Same pay, same benefits and your time does (did) go toward step increases in pay.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2014

I know you said NYC, and about that, I have no idea.

Here, I've seen things done two ways.
    One way, is they advertise it as a teaching job. You sign a one year contract. It is clear that you will not be renewed for another year in the contract because it is a temporary job. Those usually come with benefits. It is usually advertised as a one year teacher.
    The other way is when they advertise it as a long term sub. That does not come with a contract or benefits. Here, like other posters mentioned, you start out at regular sub pay for the first 20 days. One day 21, your pay jumps dramatically (here it is over $100 extra per day).

9. physteach

physteach Companion

Jul 28, 2014

In upstate NY, it did. I was an LTS, but contractually had the benefits of a first year teacher (salary, insurance, etc).

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 28, 2014

It would also depend on how the position is filled.

I did a one-year leave replacement in 1996, and I still have that job. Here teachers on leave give up their position. It's hired as a regular position, complete with full benefits. When the original teacher returns, he/she is guaranteed a position, but not the original position.

11. kaeco510

kaeco510 Companion

Jul 28, 2014

I think it depends on how they list the position. As a LTS I did not have a contract or benefits. However, I've interviewed for year-long LTS positions where it was a contracted position with benefits. I'm in MA so I'm not sure about NY though.

12. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2014

I did a two year lts but I told the super I wouldn't do it without partial benefits. They were desperate for me to do this because they couldn't find a sub who could sign (asl) .

So maybe you could ask?