Does a substitute teacher need a teacher certificate?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by WayOfTeaching, Jun 18, 2008.

1. WayOfTeaching

WayOfTeaching Rookie

Jun 18, 2008

I would like to ask you if a substitute teacher need a teacher certificate to teach Kindergarten or Elementary school?
    I have a Bachelor Degree in Education, is it enough? And how is the salary? What I want so bad is that I want to work in a Kindergarten..either as an Aide( even though I heard that it's very rare to have an Aide in Kindergarten or Elementary school, or am I wrong?) or a substitute teacher because I like it and also to see the educational system from U.S as I'm a foreigner from Europe)

I would also like to ask you, if you can help me.....if you are a substitute teacher, can you have another job....what I'm trying to say is...you just stay at home and wait for some schools to call you ...can you make ends meet from this job? For example..I'm a teacher assistant at preschool( working from 9-6)...in order to be a substitute teacher do I need to quit my current job? Or how is it?

Thank you in advance!
    I would highly appreciate your help in this matter!

3. applecore

applecore Devotee

Jun 18, 2008

I was a sub in Idaho for a year because having a degree/license wasn't required. My cousin is required to have at least an AA in another county of Idaho. However, the state of Oregon requires all subs to have a degree/license in the state. I think to answer your question, you'll need to contact the local school district you want to work in and find out what the qualifcations and requirements are, since their so different.

As far as subbing full-time vs. part-time, I think that also depends on the district. I was part-time and on-call, called any where between 5:00am right up until the time school started...or even later. Sub pay is different than teacher pay and without benefits, so, you'll have to make the decision to quit your job and sub. I made $10 a hour as a sub. The teacher's aides made $7.50 an hour. Teachers make double or better in my area....thank goodness!

If you have your degree in Elementary Ed, why not teach?

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2008

It depends on the district. Some only require a warm body, others require some college, and then there are those that require a certification. You are technically self employed so if you wanted a second job then you could have one. Its up to you when you work as a sub. I'm curious as to why you want to work as an aide or sub when you have a bachelors degree in education. Do you not have your certification?

5. WayOfTeaching

WayOfTeaching Rookie

Jun 18, 2008

Thank you so much for your reply.
    I do not have a teacher certificate yet.
    I do have a Bachelor Degree in Education,but it's from Europe, so my English is not my native language and because of that, I don't think somebody would hire me( that's why I want to work first as an Aide or sub teacher just to see how it is). Even though I have a Bachelor Degree with dual majors: 1. in Education; 2. in English as a second language.
    Do you think I have some chances?

Thanks again!:thanks:

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2008

You should consider calling up the state board of education and find out how your degree would be considered here. They might tell you that you only need to take a few exams or something easy like that.

You don't need to be a native speaker of English in order to secure a teaching position, but you do need to be fluent and proficient enough to take and pass the licensure exams.

As for subbing, you might be qualified to do that, but you'd want to verify that with the local school district. Here in my district, you only need 62 credits towards a BA/BS in order to sub.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2008

Way-here in Texas, I think you would only need to take the state certification exam. Like another poster suggested, call the SBEC and ask.

8. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Jun 19, 2008

I think it depends on the district and the state. I have subbed in Missouri and Wisconsin (and I have a license in Wisconsin). In Missouri, my Wisconsin license was enough, but others needed a college degree and then they had to apply for a sub license.

As far as having another job, that's up to you. I don't work another job (but I sub almost every day) and this way I'm available for long-term jobs. I've known subs who will only work certain days of the week (like only Monday, Wednesday and Friday)...they just need to make sure whoever calls them knows their schedule. Subbing can be as flexible as you want it to be.

9. njteach41

njteach41 Middle School Social Studies Teacher

Jun 19, 2008

not in NJ... 60 college credits.
    with a teaching certificate you do get paid around $15-25 more per day

10. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Jun 19, 2008

A sub only needs a highschool deploma or GED as far as degrees are concerned.

11. WayOfTeaching

WayOfTeaching Rookie

Jun 24, 2008

Thanks everyone who gave me all the help, I really appreciate it!

12. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Jun 25, 2008

In california in my district I needed the CBEST and BA or BS degree

13. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jun 25, 2008

In MN you need a minimum of a bachelor's degree. You can get a sub license from the state. However, you couldn't do long term assignments 15 days +. Teaching assistants/paraprofessionals/education assistants up here can make anywhere from 10.00-16.00+ dollars an hour. Depending on the district of course.

14. Chef Dave

Chef Dave Companion

Jun 25, 2008

In Arizona you'd have to have a substitute teacher certificate.

Given all of the diverse responses, my best suggestion is that you contact the certification office of your state's department of education. When in doubt, always go to the source.

Best wishes!

Chef Dave

15. bridgetbordeaux

bridgetbordeaux Companion

Jul 12, 2008

In my county, you need 2 years of college to substitute as a teacher but a high school diploma to sub as a parapro.
    I have my associates and am continuing with my bachelors
    this fall, but I applied as a sub to get some more hands on experience. good luck

16. dola0072

dola0072 Rookie

Jul 25, 2008

I am in Tennessee and in the area that I am in all what you need to sub is a high school diploma. To be on the long-term sub list to get long term positions you need a teaching license. I guess it all depends on the area that you are in. Go to the school boards web site that you are interested in subbing in and give them a call. I have never subbed before so I can't help you in that area. The only reason I know this information is because if I cannot get a teaching job I am going to sub. I hope this helps. Good luck.

17. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Jul 25, 2008

In Broward County, Florida you need at least 60 college credits and are paid $10 an hour. For long term positions, you usually need a Bachelors, but you are paid as a 1st year teacher.

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 28, 2008

In my state (CA), subs need:

- Bachelors degree in any field
    - Passing of CBEST exam
    - Emergency Substitute Teaching Permit

19. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Aug 4, 2008

My local district requires a teaching license, even to sub. However, it's because I'm in a heavily impacted area (So Cal) in a very competitive field right now. (elementary ed). The local district that I signed on with isn't even looking at apps for subbing unless they are credentialed. I'm grateful I at least have my license, sheesh!:eek:

20. bridgetbordeaux

bridgetbordeaux Companion

Aug 4, 2008

I live in Georgia, and here the requirements are
    2 years of college (60 semester hours), and attend a sub workshop. After the background check comes back, you can sub for any grade in the district.

21. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Aug 5, 2008

Wow! I should concider myself lucky that I am able to work while getting my degree. I love subbing and am using it as experince. When/if I do finally get a teaching degree it won't be my 1st time working in a school setting. We do not need a degree and it seems like the only area that does not require a degree.