Does a phone interview ( non skype) hurt your chances

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by history, Jun 23, 2017.

1. history

history Companion

Jun 23, 2017

I have already had 1 phone interview and did not get the position. I have a second one coming up. Do phone interviews hurt your chances in being hired?

3. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2017

I don't think so; I've been hired over the phone twice! I'm now on our interview committee and we tend to do a lot of phone interviews because we get a lot of out of state applicants. The one thing I've noticed is that candidates on the phone have a tendency to ramble. It's harder to know when to stop talking because you're not getting any visual feedback from the people in the room. I remember one person we interviewed who was clearly incredibly knowledgeable, but she went on, and on, and on when answering every question. By the end we were all so annoyed with her that she got tossed into the "no" pile right away.

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 23, 2017

My suggestion for phone interviews is to act as if you can be seen. That smile on your face will translate into positive energy in your voice. I moved around a lot during my last phone interview, and while that isn't something you can do in person, it spent any nervous energy I might have felt.

Good luck!

5. history

history Companion

Jun 24, 2017

I sent you an pm through this sites email

6. history

history Companion

Jun 25, 2017

I seemed to feel confident even though I did not land the position. The hardest part is not knowing what direction these schools are going in.