Does a MA degree always count towards salary scale?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by frtrd, May 29, 2014.

1. frtrd

frtrd Rookie

May 29, 2014

I'm in a Masters of Ed program right now to get my teacher certification. I enrolled in a MA program because my BA degree was not in Education, and I needed a way to get my certificate.

Today I saw something on Reddit saying that teachers who got their MA degree BEFORE beginning to teach would not be compensated accordingly -- they would be paid as if they only had a BA degree. (Only teachers who got their Masters AFTER beginning to teach would have it "counted".)

So ... Is this true??? And if so, how would I ever move up to the MA-level salary lane?? Because there is no way I would go back to get a SECOND Masters degree ... !

3. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

May 29, 2014

I got my MA degree in the Spring of 2013. I began my teaching career in the Fall 2013 and was paid according to the MA salary scale. :D

4. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

May 29, 2014

I've never heard of such a thing. Some districts pay one-time bonuses to teachers based on continuing education while teachers but that shouldn't have anything to do with the scale.

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

May 29, 2014

I suppose it's possible, but in general, as long as your master's is related to your job title, you'll get put on the master's salary scale.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 29, 2014

Can you post a link to the thing on Reddit?

Teacher salaries vary by district. It's possible that a particular district would institute this type of policy, but I have never heard of that happening. In my district, you are compensated as long as your credits/degree are related to Education and/or your content area.

If you have an idea about where you might want to work, check out their salary schedules and see what they say.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 29, 2014

What step you start on is somewhat negotiable/ at the Supe's discretion when you are hired....you aren't going to get paid for Bachelors however if you have a Masters.

8. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

May 29, 2014

It really depends on your district. In mine teachers who already held a masters is paid on that scale, but those who did not had to be enrolled in a program and done by this June to get it. Now if I go on to get a EDS I won't be paid on that scale. The rational is that research shows no correlation between higher degrees and advanced degrees.

9. frtrd

frtrd Rookie

May 30, 2014

Sure! I don't know if links work on here, though, but I'll try --

http://www.reddit.com/r/Teachers/co...ou_wish_youd_known_before_beginning_a/chu57hp

It's just one person saying it, though.

10. SF_Giants66

SF_Giants66 Cohort

May 30, 2014

I actually wanted to get an M.A. in either Autism or School Counseling. However, the only 2 obstacles are one, that I don't know if they would pay me more as a teacher if I decided not to go into either of those careers, and two, a clinical practicum being required would often make it difficult to work around as a teacher.

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 30, 2014

This can vary widely. The entire state of North Carolina does not pay for any Masters Degree.

In your situation, you don't have 2 degrees in education, so I would not be surprised if some districts didn't pay you for a masters degree. The masters would be in lieu of the typical bachelors degree in education.

12. Darkhorse

Darkhorse Companion

May 30, 2014

In my district people who are hired with a masters degree start on step one whereas people who are hired with a bachelors start on step two. That means that if you get your masters before being hired you are a step lower than people that get a masters after they get hired.

13. SF_Giants66

SF_Giants66 Cohort

May 30, 2014

I think they do this so they don't have to pay for a graduate degree without relevant experience with the school system.

I prefer the way some districts do it where graduate credits only pay slightly more for the first few years then start to get around 2k-3k more after about 5 years.