Does a certificate or diploma in early childhood education count?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by stargurl93, Sep 18, 2016.

  1. stargurl93

    stargurl93 Guest

    Sep 18, 2016

    Hi. I am a new member. I have a bachelors degree in Theater. I am attending a community college in North Carolina for Early Childhood Education diploma. After a week of classes, I gotten hired as a Instructional Support Assistant- EC in an elementary school. EC (Exceptional Children) is an alternative word for special education. My goal is to get certified in elementary education, special education and early childhood. I wanted to know if I move out of state would my certificate count towards a job? I am looking into states such as Virginia, Georgia and Maryland.
  3. bella84

    bella84 Aficionado

    Jul 20, 2012
    Likes Received:

    Sep 18, 2016

    Most states have some sort of process for transferring in certification from another state. Depending on the state, it might be as simple as filling out paperwork. Other states might require that you take a test and/or pass a class. Unless you're applying in a place with a significant teacher shortage, you'll likely need to have your certificate from NC transferred to the new state before you can start a job in that state.
  4. waterfall

    waterfall Maven

    Feb 5, 2011
    Likes Received:

    Sep 18, 2016

    It would depend on the state. In my state "early childhood special education" is an entirely different degree/program than all other sped jobs for some reason. My BA degree was a dual early childhood pk-3rd grade (my home state doesn't have elementary as an option) and sped. When I got here that transferred to early childhood gen ed (birth through age 8) and sped generalist K-12. I took an extra Praxis to get my gen ed elementary certification (K-6). Basically the only thing I'm not allowed to teach is pre-k sped!
  5. ChildWhisperer

    ChildWhisperer Groupie

    Jun 25, 2015
    Likes Received:

    Sep 18, 2016

    Perhaps we have the same home state? ^
    "Early Childhood Special Education" is its own degree/program for us as well.
    If you already have your Bachelors, why are you getting an Associates? Why not go for a Master's in Teaching?

Share This Page

Members Online Now

  1. TeacherNY,
  2. YoungTeacherGuy,
  3. nklauste
Total: 470 (members: 3, guests: 446, robots: 21)