DoDDs teachers overseas in Europe??

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Kbxcadet, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Kbxcadet

Kbxcadet New Member

Jul 7, 2015

Howdy. I'm curious what is it like working for dodds overseas as a elementary teacher? How easy/difficult is the hiring process? I heard its better to be hired from the states because they're more generous w/ your benefits and have to pay to relocate you and your family. How competitive is it to get in?

I also heard there is no mandatory retirement age for dodds teachers, because of this they like to homestead their job for as long as they can. If this is true, this isn't good news for someone like me, a young kindergarten teacher (presently still finishing up my degree).

The only reason I know about dodds teachers is because I used to be a military brat myself. I know what some of the benefits are that you get and I know some people really enjoy their life overseas, working w/ other Dodds teachers, etc. They seem like a nice group of people. Any info on the hiring process and how it all works would be helpful because I have read tons of different websites, a lot of info out there but somewhat vague and somewhat confusing for a new teacher starting out their career.

3. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jul 7, 2015

I have also been researching Dod schools. From what I've heard, it is incredibly competative. You need something to stand out, and I think you have to have three years experience before they will even look at your resume. I think your experience of being a military child will benefit you. I have also heard that getting a position in Europe is almost impossible. Most teachers serve in the Pacific or Mediterranean region, then go to Europe once they have some senority. Also, the dod is closing several schools in Europe, so those teachers have first dibs on positions. I've heard that school closures are becoming more and more common.
    I am in no way an authority on this subject, but it's the information I have learned through my own research. If you google dod teaching, you will find a group on Teachers.net. It's honestly not a great forum (super confusing to navigate) but they have a people that regularly post. They're not very nice, though.:lol:
    Even though the competition is fierce, just keep applying. You never know what will happen! Are you also interested in private american or international schools?

4. Kbxcadet

Kbxcadet New Member

Jul 8, 2015

I wonder how the overall hiring process actually works. I know if you're a stateside hire they pay to relocate you and give you LQA/Cost of living allowance etc. if you're a local hire you're not entitled to any of that. The lack of more recent information is frustratingly limited. I don't understand why dodds teachers are so secretive about it. They say check the website usajobs.gov and check the listings but I know from past experience Dodds teacher jobs in Europe are rarely listed if at all. I hoping former and current dodds teachers here will please share their experience.

5. Kbxcadet

Kbxcadet New Member

Jul 8, 2015

Kat I understand what you're saying and you're right. Please PM me. I just sent you a message.

6. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2015

Just to piggyback off the last poster, most international schools, dodds or others, want you to have at least two years in the classroom, some even ask for five. I'm not sure about Dod schools but a lot of international schools also like you to have IB certification so that's something you can work towards.

To my knowledge international schools have three pay grades- foreigner hired from abroad, foreigner hired nationally, local hired nationally. The best pay and the most perks come with the first category.

7. Kbxcadet

Kbxcadet New Member

Jul 8, 2015

Forgive me if I sound confused but what is an IB? Perhaps that is required for int'l schools not related to dodds??

8. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2015

IB is international baccalaureate. It's a program where kids earn college credits, similar to AP.

9. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jul 8, 2015

IB also has curriculum for elementary and middle school, as well. Most international schools use the IB program, but the dod doesn't. They have just recently begun to implement Common Core.

10. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jul 8, 2015

Sent you a reply back. :)