Documentation

Discussion in 'General Education' started by PreKyay, Oct 31, 2008.

1. PreKyay

PreKyay Companion

Oct 31, 2008

What have you found to be your best system for documentation? How do you organize your notes/documentation on parents, students, and colleagues? Do you keep a journal and make copies of everything sent by parents, administration, etc.? I'm preparing to teach by next fall and just wanted to get a game plan in place.

3. Green_eyed_gal

Green_eyed_gal Comrade

Oct 31, 2008

Sticky notes work great for me... I can jot down notes and stick in their file and I'm done!! I also print out every email I receive from parents.

4. ELA 11 12

ELA 11 12 Companion

Oct 31, 2008

I don't print anything. I use Outlook and create folders to sort and store e-mail. If you are good with computers, that is they make sense to you, sorting e-mail using "rules" is a huge time saver.

I also use my grade book (Easy Grade Pro) software to make notes about student assignments. They are included in all progress reports, which I e-mail to parents whenever possible. Notes are short like this "Granted student three day extension. Student came in twice for extra help during this time."

5. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Nov 1, 2008

I write notes on labels about misbehaviors, including the date, offense, and consequence. I keep the labels on my clipboard so it is always handy. Then when I have time, I just peel the label off and apply it to their folder. (Got that idea from here!)

I also use a behavior calendar to communicate daily about behavior. It is to be initialed weekly and I collect those at the end of the month.

I also save all parent notes and put them into the folder. I use the carbon less notes when I need to write to a parent. I save the copy in their folder as well. I memorialize important phone conversations, but most are unimportant, so I don't.

When I send home graded papers, I staple them all together and require a parent signature. When they come back, I file those away too. If a student has below a C, a list of grades is attached to the graded papers. Parents cannot say they didn't know their child was doing poorly.

It seems like a lot, but it really doesn't amount to much time. I have zero parent complaints about grades or consequences. My children are well-behaved most of the time. And in the event of ever needing to refer a child to the office or for testing, I have all of the documentation I need at my fingertips.

6. PreKyay

PreKyay Companion

Nov 1, 2008

Great ideas, everyone! Thanks so much. cmorris, love the label idea!

7. xmasqueen

xmasqueen Rookie

Nov 2, 2008

I made a chart in Word and every time I have any contact with a parent, I write down the students name, parent name, reason etc. We have to turn in contact information every 3 months so I have to keep track. Notes or anything else goes in the students personal file if my homeroom but the other 2 homerooms I just stick in one file.

8. forchange

forchange Rookie

Nov 2, 2008

The labels work great for reading and writing conferences too.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Nov 2, 2008

We have to have a contact log to document all communication. I have a page for each child in a binder. Each page is in a page protector. Any note I get from a parent gets slipped in there.

10. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2008

I have an index card clip board ( I tried to find a picture..but no such luck)! Basically, take a clip board and tape one index card for each child to the board. Have them overlap so that all you see is the child's name....you'd have to flip to see what was written. It is easy to carry around as you are teaching and jot notes. When a card fills up, just put it in the child's file.; I write everything from observations to times I called left a note, etc....