Document Camera

Discussion in 'General Education' started by KLSSwimmer, Jun 14, 2009.

1. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Jun 14, 2009

In the interest of not hijacking another thread, I have a question for those of you that bought your own document camera. Where did you buy it? How much did you spend generally? I found some on e-bay, but I am not sure what I need to get.

Thanks!

3. Blkjacq

Blkjacq Companion

Jun 14, 2009

I got a Wells Fargo grant for $500 and put in $100 more to get mine. Valued at $900, but I got it for $600 by talking to the tech guys at my district and using their ordering catalog for equipment. They have lower priced ones out there. I think mine's a mid-range model, but using the district vendor might save you some money.

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2009

If you're using your own money, there are ways to simulate a document camera using an old video camera or a web cam. My department has an Elmo, but I've got a Lightsmith bracket that the PTSA got me, and a cheap video camera that I'm going to experiment with this week.

5. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jun 14, 2009

You can definitely use a digital camera as a document camera. We had a training in my district on how to do this. I played around with it for a bit towards the end of the year, but didn't get a chance to use it with my class. I did get it to work, though. You need to plug the yellow/black cable into the port in your wall and then the other side gets plugged into your camera. Then you turn on your proxima and you'll have to find out which "input" to turn to in order to see the image that is being projected onto the screen. I used rubber bands to hook my camera up to the overhead projected and voila, I had a document camera.

6. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 14, 2009

What a neat idea for a training!

7. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 14, 2009

HMMMMM! I may have to try this!!! I would have never thought of doing this-great ideas!!!!!!!!!!!

8. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Jun 15, 2009

Hmmm, I may have to try this - anyone else have any other information?

9. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jun 15, 2009

I'm going to be selling mine because my school just bought all the upper grade teachers one. I only used it for 1 year. I was waiting for Amanda to give us more information on the buy/sale/trade forum and I was going to attempt to sell it on here. It's an Elmo.

10. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jun 16, 2009

I found a pretty good site with a lot of information: http://web.mac.com/bkuest/DIY_Media_Equip./DIY_Copy_Stands.html

I bought a cheap, battery-operated video camera on sale at Target last year for about $65, and I'm going to set that up with the Lightsmith stand. Quite honestly, now that I have the stand, I do think I could have put something together myself - wish I had seen this guy's instructions sooner!

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 16, 2009

How cool is this!