Document Camera

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TripleTeach, Feb 4, 2012.

1. TripleTeach

TripleTeach Rookie

Feb 4, 2012

Our school recently purchased document cameras for all teachers. I teach third grade language arts. So far I have used the camera to show student writing samples. What are some creative ways to use this technology?

3. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Feb 4, 2012

I don't know if this is creative, but this is how I used mine. You can use it when you want to share pictures or passages from books, but you don't want to waste the paper for copies that you will barely use. You can use it for comparing passages from fiction and nonfiction, or showing nonfiction text features. You can put a dictionary page up, and cover the page with a piece of paper and ask if a certain word will be before, on, or after the page. Once they vote, you can take the paper off and show them. You can choose vocabulary words from your stories or from math/science/social studies to personalize the activity.

Also, you can use it for read-alouds that have really interesting or detailed pictures that students on a carpet might have trouble seeing. For example, in Snowmen at Night, there are hidden pictures of Santas and rabbits that are hard to see from a few feet a away.

You can use it for shared reading when you don't have enough individual student copies of the book, and you don't want to waste paper.

You can use it in writing if you find a neat picture in a book or magazine that you want the kids to write about. You can post it on your board with the document camera and have them write.

In a less fun/creative way, you can use it to demonstrate to students how to highlight or how to go back and document their answers when they are taking a test.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 4, 2012

You can use a document camera for anything that you would have used an overhead projector for.

I love mine because I can take pictures of different things and either make a powerpoint, email them to parents (notes for absent kids), or print them for students who may need a copy of the notes.

5. KateL

KateL Habitué

Feb 4, 2012

You can demonstrate science experiments on them, and the whole class can see without crowding around you.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 4, 2012

I can record (both visuals and audio), so I can make short videos explaining a project or a process. Those can uploaded to your class site or emailed to students and parents. Good thing is, my face isn't a part of it! :)

7. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2012

I use it to show students how to edit essays (which, I think, is impossible to demonstrate without a document camera.) When I'm reading aloud, i project it on the screen so the students can follow along. I also use it to demonstrate effective note-taking. I use a small whiteboard and use the doc camera to solve problems (instead of using the whiteboard). I project math and grammar onto a whiteboard instead of a screen so the students can do problems at the front of the class. I've found that students really focus on projected items because it's like a movie :)

8. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2012

1. Anything you would use an overhead projector for.

2. If you are reading a chapter book to the students, you can put the text up on the document camera and now the students can follow along as you read. Or the students can even read outloud.

3. They make choral reading a lot easier as because the kids are all literally "on the same page." They can also follow along as you point to the words.

4. Art project examples can be displayed on the screen for students to refer to.

5. Any small object that needs to be displayed to the class in detail.

9. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Feb 5, 2012

I was introduced to the document camera this year, and honestly, I don't know how I will teach math without it!
    My students are learning more by looking at other student's work-to find different approaches, strategies and even mistakes! It is non threatening to them-they ALL want to go show their work even if it is incorrect. In this way, we hash out the problems together. I have so much more talking going on during Math than ever before!
    I use it for read alouds as well, and as other posters have said-for anything that I would have used the overhead for-without running to the copier for a transparency!

10. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Feb 5, 2012

Oh my gosh. It's my favorite piece of technology. I use it for all of the above. You can also use it to play games, but putting up pictures or cards.

11. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Feb 5, 2012

It can also save lots of paper! If you have a writing prompt, quote, or something that you want students to respond to, instead of making 25 copies, you can just put it up on document camera easily without having to make transparencies.

12. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Feb 5, 2012

Students also love to show their work on the doc camera!