Doc cam/lap top question. Help?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heavens54, Sep 12, 2014.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Sep 12, 2014

My tech has been working great up until today. I've been switching from laptop to doc cam (Elmo) with ease.

But today,I couldn't get the projector to display my computer screen for ppts, when I switched it from doc cam to computer mode. I finally closed the top of the laptop down and ppt came up on the screen. Is there a way for me to adjust the setting so ppt shows what's on my laptop with the lid open? Hope I'm making sense.

3. El sol

El sol Rookie

Sep 12, 2014

Seems like you have to change the display settings when the laptop is connected. Or possibly a ppt presentation issue. Can you see anything in computer mode besides the ppt? Like the desktop maybe? Or the ppt document in non-presentation mode?

4. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 13, 2014

It sounds like a common issue on laptops.

Basically, you know that special key (usually marked Fn) that's only on laptop keyboards?

Look in the top rows of keys (the F-keys and the number keys) and look for something that looks like this:
    [​IMG]

Hold down the Fn key, then hit that key. It should switch displays until it works.

I assume the screen is black when the projector is on computer mode?

5. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Sep 13, 2014

The projector displays "NEC" on my screen. It will show whatever I want it ti, but not until the top is closed. Since it just started doing this, I figure I must have hit some button by mistake. I would like for it to run while the computer is open.

6. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 13, 2014

We have student laptops at my school. For me to get them to project I have to do some weird combo with the technology. It has been over a year, but this is what I remember:

Close the laptop, open it again quickly, press F4, close it again, hit the "source" button on my projector. As it is searching, open up the laptop again. Then I can project and see. Crazy - but it was the only way I could get it to work.

7. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 13, 2014

then play around with the button I posted above.

8. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 13, 2014

Agreed. This sounds like a display button problem. Many laptops use this button to change between many different display modes. I've never heard of the one you described, but the modes can be different for different laptops.

Usually you can use this button to mirror exactly what is on the screen, have it create a second display that you can drag things to, or other types of display settings.

9. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Sep 13, 2014

Ok. I'll try it on Monday. Thanks.

10. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Sep 15, 2014

Thank you, thank you, thank you all for your help. I wound up holding down the function key (FN) while holding F4 and that got it back to projecting while the lap top was open. Makes a huge difference. Tech is up and running. Thank you again...

11. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Sep 15, 2014

Yay! I just got a job in a district with technology coming out of their ears! I've never used an elmo! Or a smart board! They even have these key pads that the students can use to answer questions. I'm nervous! At least I know about the Fn and F4 key now!