Doc cam/Elmo users; how to adjust when you are without...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heavens54, Jul 3, 2010.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jul 3, 2010

I will be moving to a small school in the fall. They don't have doc cams or elmos, but would be willing to buy if there is a need. The principal showed me the classrooms and they have huge floor to ceiling windows in them. I don't think a doc cam or an elmo will work in these rooms due to so much light. Will I have to do without? And if I do, how do I teach without? Have you tried, once you got used to the technology?

3. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 3, 2010

The most technology my school has is an overhead projector in each room (which I don't usually use because it's hard to read), a teacher's computer, and 2 student computers for AR testing. You can definitely teach without the technology.

But I'm not sure how well it would work with the windows. Hopefully someone else knows a little more!

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2010

It is hard to go without after having one, I'm sure. That said, camera or not, I would be working on those windows. Surely there will be times you need to adjust the level of light in the room. Maybe just because the sun is coming in and blinding the students or you're trying to show a film or play a game...who knows. So do you think you can craft a solution?

I haven't seen the room, but I would think the document camera would work even in high-light situations.

5. Chalk

Chalk Companion

Jul 3, 2010

Window blinds?

6. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 3, 2010

I'd give my document camera up for floor to ceiling windows! You really will have some issues using your camera in the room, I have when the sun is shining at a certain angle on my camera. To shield your camera try a thin box to block the light and then for the area projected, try blinds on the window where the projection is cast. It will be worse at certain times of the day, try using in when the sunlight is least invasive. I haven't tried any of these, they're just suggestions.

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 3, 2010

I did it and really didn't have a problem adjusting. I had the projector hooked up to my laptop and used powerpoints a lot, excerpts of videos, etc. Used the elmo to demonstrate activities. When I changed schools we didn't have them in our rooms. You improvise-that's a really big expense and honestly, I'd be afraid someone would take it or something.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2010

I have a bright classroom with two large windows, and I have a SmartClassroom with a SmartBoard and document camera. I don't have any issues with the kids seeing my SmartBoard or document camera.

I'd give up my document camera, though. I've never really liked it.

9. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 3, 2010

I love my doc camera and it would be hard to lose it, I feel your pain.

10. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 3, 2010

You can adjust the lightening on the elmo to counteract the brightest from the windows.

11. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jul 3, 2010

So do you not use PP in your lessons now? It is mainly for the power points, but I don't have to have a doc cam to do that, right?

I can't put blindes up on the windows; they are huge, six feet wide and 14 feet tall. The windows are beautiful and face the north. They look out to a view of the mountains.

I know I can adjust, it is just for certain times I want to be able to use PP and streaming videos. They have a TV. Can I connect my laptop to the TV? Thanks.

12. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 3, 2010

I don't know what grade you'll teach, but I teach kinder and use it tons for projecting books read aloud, tumblebooks, videos, even videos from the tv. I also use it to show how to do things (like using manips so everyone can see).

13. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 3, 2010

I do use them, now I just have the kids come sit around my computer (remember, they're pretty little) or I have them view it as part of their workstations. The doc camera is more for projecting worksheets or pages on the screen-I don't really use those much anyway. The LCD projector that hooked to my laptop I used more often, but we've adjusted. You do what you can with what you have.

14. KateL

KateL Habitué

Jul 3, 2010

I've never had a document camera, but I might be getting one this fall. You can hook it up to a computer to show PowerPoints? I thought it was just for displaying things written on paper. (Which would be great for demonstrating how the students' notes should look.)

15. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 3, 2010

My document camera collects dust in my closet. I'd rather scan and project from the screen. I have two huge windows that shine sunlight directly on my screen, but it doesn't cause very many problems. I feel your pain about teaching without once you've gotten used to it. When my smart pad or projector isn't working, It seems almost impossible to teach. I tell my students we'll just have to go back to the old board and dry erase makers.

16. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 3, 2010

it also depends on the doc camera. I had one at my old school (cheap-O) and never used it. I have a great one now and use it constantly.

17. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 3, 2010

It is for displaying things on paper, but you can also use it for demonstration purposes. I think one of the above posters mentioned to demonstrate how to use manipulatives. As far as I know you cannot show ppt from it, but all you need is a projector and computer to display ppts.

18. BCPMWK

BCPMWK Companion

Jul 3, 2010

You could probably make curtains for your room rather inexpensively using sheets sewn together (to make them long enough). Put grommets through the top and/or use those rings with the little snap type things at the top. I have floor to ceiling windows and the light is a situation, even with the tv. Although I have blinds, there are times that the kids have a lot of trouble seeing because of the glare. Find a dark spot to place the TV, allow the kids to move to that area or turn their desks. It'll work out.

19. Ms. Geography

Ms. Geography Comrade

Jul 3, 2010

A post from another teacher forum said:

I was at a conference this week and one of the presenters showed us these webcams that would totally work as a document camera if you didn't have one! They are just little webcams, but with flexible necks you can point them at a book, document, etc!

http://www.amazon.com/HUE-Pink-Mac-W...7985663&sr=8-1

I've never used one, but wanted to pass on the information. Plus, look at Wal Mart for sheets to use as curtians in your room.