Do your three year olds move into the preschool room on their b-day?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by keep_smiling, Oct 19, 2008.

1. keep_smiling

keep_smiling Rookie

Oct 19, 2008

I guess what I'm asking is when a child turn 3 do they automatically go to the preschool room?

IMO it should be the September cut off date like in elementary school. Just because a child turns 5 in January doesnt mean they get to start going to kindergarten.

In some cases some children would attend preschool for 3 years. If that teacher doesnt the same curriculum every year that would be 3 years of doing the same thing. Not to mention how hard it is to transition a younger 3 into your class in the middle of the year when the older 3s have learned the routine.

What is your opinion?

3. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Oct 19, 2008

As a provider w/ a really mixed age group, I feel blessed not to have to watch my students move from teacher to teacher. That has to be hard for them, and you. However, I do understand that it has to be done if that is how your program works or is required to work.

That said, I would think that moving all children up at a set date would allow for it not be as stressful for the children. That way there could be closure and a progression that is understandable. In addition as the teacher you would have a better understanding of what the levels of the children are.

Good luck.

4. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Oct 19, 2008

At my center it really vairies but mostly the kids move up in Augut. We have a transition week the week before 'school" actually starts--the children all move up to their new classrooms and get to spend a week in it with no curriculum per se. We do fun projects and a short group time instead of our regualr circle and work-- gives the children a chance to get used to the routine and the rules of the classroom and the new surroundings before we get started with full blown curriculum. Occassionally the director will move a child up in January--but only if they had their birthday like right after the cut off and they are showing signs of being bored in the current classroom. I had one child move up to me in January last year and he really needed to because all he did was walk around the room carrying a toy and talking to it--he was so far ahead of the others in development--he didn't interact with them anymore--

5. Taliesin

Taliesin Rookie

Oct 19, 2008

At my school, each group of kids stay together for one school year. I keep my group of 10 kids from September to June. I have the older 3's and they are all within three months of each other. No one moves in the middle of the school year except in a rare situation.

6. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 19, 2008

I felt I could answer that since I work with preschoolers at my church(3yrs to be exact). Our preschool department is 2yrs old- 5yrs old or Kindergarten. That being said we try to group all our kids who have close birthday's together. Like you would not have someone who just turned 3 in your room they would still be in 2yr olds. We also keep them for a yr and go from Sept-sept. So like this past sept. we just got a new set of 3yr olds and won't get the 2yr olds till next sept. We call that our church calender for the yr.

7. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Oct 19, 2008

At my current school, all the children move up in September. At my previous school, they moved up right after (in some cases *on*) their birthdays, and it was hell. We'd already gotten to know each other and the routines... and then, bam, new kids come in. Is there really any point in doing "All About Me" in September, when you'll continue to get new kids all year long? :( I feel your pain, but my only suggestion is to find a place where they move up each year, all at the same time. The reason they do this is for tuition and enrollment.

8. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 19, 2008

the students stay with me for the course of the school year (Aug - May). They all move together each August.

9. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 20, 2008

My special needs students start in my class on their 3rd birthday but my typical peers have the age cut-off like Kindergarten.