Do your summer plans involve school stuff?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 13, 2008

Summer is fast approaching! Of course, you'll likely take some time to unwind, relax, travel, whatever. But I'd like to know how much of your summer you plan to devote to school stuff. I'm talking about things like professional development, conferences, lesson planning, organizing, prepping.

As for me, I'm planning to travel to the Seattle area to see my sister's new baby and meet my brother-in-law for the first time--it's been a looong time since I've seen my sister! My husband and I are also planning a few weekend road trips to a few different places in California.

Besides that, I'll be attending a conference in San Diego for about a week, a 3-day professional development thing here in town (for which I get paid like $30/hour!) right away when school gets out, and a week-long professional development thing here (for which I will also get paid $30/hour!) the week before school starts back up.

I also plan to pretty much rewrite my courses and curriculum maps, get started on the new AP course I'll be teaching, and prepare numerous flipcharts (like PowerPoints) with lots of colorful photos.

It's going to be a busy summer for me.... :up:

3. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 13, 2008

I'll still be working for the community college, but I plan to switch to a day schedule so I can have my evenings free. I also plan on reworking the entire curriculum since I got this job in october and pretty much used what they gave me. Now that I have some experience under my belt I want to re-work how I teach and in what order I teach it it. Also, depending my my current 7th graders, I may have to work on 2 preps for the 8th graders. My upper 7th's are attempting to work through pre-algebra before the end of the year, so if they succeed, I'll have 8th honors and 8th algebra I. Another teacher will have 8th reg.

4. maroki

maroki Comrade

Apr 13, 2008

I have a long "to do" list of things to work on this summer.

WA is getting rid of their GLEs and working on new standards (at least in math right now), which we are supposed to get July 31. (The date has already been pushed back 4 times I believe so we'll see if they actually are finalized by then.) Our district is hoping to use them already next year so I'll probably be rewriting lesson plans to match the new performance expectations.

I'm also planning on creating a brand new spelling program complete with practice homework and classwork, creating a new calendar and morning meeting routine, organizing and leveling my classroom library, putting together an extensive "what do I do when I'm done" folder/center, and creating a website.

I'm also headed out of town for 3 weeks to visit my family in the Midwest, and my husband and I will be taking long weekends out of town for family trips and our anniversary. In addition, I'll be attending our local Reading First conference for 3 days in August, GLAD training either in June or August, and possibly some other professional development I haven't scheduled yet.

It is going to be a busy summer! I am going to need to make a timeline for myself to ensure I get everything done.

5. little317

little317 Groupie

Apr 13, 2008

I'll be going up to NJ for a week to sit for my cousins while my aunt and uncle go on a vacation. And if I plan the date accordly I can stay up for our family reunion. I want to head to the beach....I'm only 45 minutes from Daytona Beach.

I have a 2 day workshop on our new reading curriculum (MacMillan Treasures).

Hopefully there will be some more workshops over the summer. If not, more time to play!!!

Other than that, I'll be doing a lot of rewriting if plans. Our state standards an GLEs have changed for both science and math. I'll be busy correlating it as much as I can with our themes in the new reading series.

I'll be organizing my classroom library more, printing labels, organizing all the NEW leveled reading books and putting the old ones into the main library.

Transferring and scanning paper copies to my computer to help me declutter my activity files and give me more space in my closet.

6. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Apr 13, 2008

Three other teachers and I will be attending the Walloon Institute in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, in July. In August, I'll be teaching an inservice on reading in the content area (for $50/hour!). I'll also rework my LA classes to make them more workshop-based. I plan on READING a lot!
    As for traveling, I don't think we'll do much more than long weekends, as my husband is now doing independent consulting instead of working at a regular office job.

7. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Apr 13, 2008

My summer involves me going to school the whole time. :(

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 14, 2008

We likely won't be having much of a vacation--my daughter's competetive soccer schedule usually doesn't give us the opportunity to get away for more than a couple of days. My son will be headed off to university in the fall, so there will be shopping (and room cleaning!) to deal with before he goes.

I've registered in an on-line course to add additional qualifications to my teaching certificate. Right now, I am qualified to teach JK-grade 6 and Special Education. After the course, I can teach up to grade 10. I'll probably also do a couple of 3 days PD sessions (sure wish I got paid for those!)

9. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Apr 14, 2008

June w/ involve relaxation.

July will involve me getting ready to go back to work:
    in-services
    cleaning my classroom
    organizing supplies
    etc, etc.

10. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Apr 14, 2008

I have a 2 day conference in June and then the rest of the summer is all mine! No school related things until mid August!

11. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Apr 14, 2008

Right now I am HOPING to be able to teach pre-school this summer at my school's summer program. I always taught the school age, but wanted a change of pace.

It would be full-day (8-3) for a month!! I think it sounds fun and I'm looking forward to it- if it happens. My class has to fill up in order for it to actualize. It would be good money though, and I would get to be outside a lot.

Then I would have all of August free. I will probably work a lot anyway- what ELSE would I do? (Ha-ha)

12. sub&mom

sub&mom Companion

Apr 14, 2008

I'll be coaching girls fastpitch softball, and umpiring tournaments around my area.

On an educational level, I'm planning on enrolling both of my girls in a summer reading program at a local college.

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 14, 2008

I taught special ed last school yr & hv since returned to subbing. I won't be permanent teaching this coming school yr, so nothing I do this summer will hv anything to do w/ school for once in my life! This fall, I do plan to return to grad school to start working towards my 2nd Masters.

14. MissBee06

MissBee06 Rookie

Apr 14, 2008

I'll be taking summer classes for June and July and I'll also be reworking my classroom library and organinzing all of my papers.

15. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Apr 14, 2008

I always try to read a couple of books to prepare for school. This summer I am also attending a two week math worshop. I will get paid $25 an hour for it, yay!

16. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Apr 14, 2008

I'm going to take one summer school class in June, 2 nights a week. I am also trying to teach summer school in June, 3 hours a day in the morning. So June will be working and studying!!

In July I am going to Coronado Island for a week with family. I hope to take a weekend trip or two with my friends. I am sure I will spend time in my classroom the last week of July cleaning, organizing, and rearranging my room. This is the first year I do not have to change classrooms so it's going to be wonderful!

I'm teaching a new grade level so I am going to be spending a lot of time lesson planning as well.

17. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 14, 2008

If everything works out the way I want it to (crossing my fingers), I will : teach summer school in June, spend 3 weeks in July at the New Jersey Writing Project seminar, and getting my classroom ready for August. August will be filled with New Teacher Orientation and professional developments.

18. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Apr 14, 2008

In between interviews( I hope). I will be going to concerts, weddings, and hoping to do a few weekend getaway things in July.

19. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Apr 14, 2008

I'll be taking my own master's classes, teaching for 3 weeks out of state, and hopefully taking some inservice classes (for recert. points & $18 an hour). I'll be taking a vacation (cruise) with my bf & his family for a few days as well.

20. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 14, 2008

I will be doing one of two things related to teaching this summer:

1. Please, oh please....I will have a teaching position in my DD. Therefore, I will be spending my time preparing and orientating for the new school/grade.

2. If #1 doesn't happen before summer, I will be continuing my jobsearch efforts in hopes of still getting a position before the new school year begins.

21. ChangeAgent

ChangeAgent Comrade

Apr 14, 2008

I will be taking three courses (two of them simultaneously) toward graduate certificates. This, I imagine, should take up a good portion of my time (between the beginning of June and end up July).

I may audtion for a local Shakespeare production.

I will be re-working my curriculum as well--now that I know what I'm doing, I can connect all the major themes and pieces of literature a bit more thoroughly and add more writing!

And there will be a lot of relaxation after this first year!

22. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 14, 2008

I will be attending 2 conferences that are both a week long. I will also be tutoring a little girl 2x's a week, and taking my last grad class! Which means graduation a week after I'm done with class. I'm sure my grade level will have at least 3 days that we will work on stuff together for professional development. I also have to renew my Pathwise mentor training and my CPR sometime this summer.
    On top of that I will be doing stuff for my classroom at home. It will be a rare day that I'm not doing something school related.

23. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Apr 14, 2008

I've got two short classes this summer - one on vocabulary, another on curriculum mapping.

Other than that, I will be re-doing my curriculum maps with the diary maps I've been keeping this year, trying to create more "stations" activities for my units, and integrating more technology.

Oh! and finishing the great scanning project (all my files to cd), as well as tweaking, once again, my interactive notebooks.

Since my DH has a regular job, I like to put in a couple of hours prep in the mornings, then fiddle with other things. :)

24. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 14, 2008

Does sleeping in count as prep? ;) Just kidding.

25. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Apr 14, 2008

I will spend the 1st 2 weeks in June teaching summer school. The next week, I go to Myrtle Beach for the national Beta convention. The week after that I will be in Pittsburg for a conference. The next week I am presenting at a conference in Memphis. The next 2 weeks will be spent laying on the beach in Gulf Shores. I will then spend a week getting ready to start next school year because we go back the 1st week in August!!

26. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 14, 2008

Totally off subject...but do you watch the show The Big Bang Theory...sorry saw Beta convention and it made me think of the show.

27. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 14, 2008

I'll be working as the coordinator for our k-2 summer program. And I'll be doing my internship with my principal and taking my last grad school course!! :) It'll be busy, but I'm okay with that:)

28. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Apr 14, 2008

I am not sure yet. We do have a cruise scheduled for one week after school is over. That is our big summer vacation. A few weekend camping trips or long weekends to visit family will happen at some point. I don't plan to take any classes, but have offered to teach two summer school classes so we'll see if I get those or not. If not, then I guess I am reading books at the beach and biking or rollarblading as much as possible.

I think I might become my mom's resident dog sitter and steal the dog every day she is at work...:)