Do Your Parents Still Treat You Like A Kid?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by KinderCowgirl, Aug 1, 2012.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 1, 2012

Let me preface this by saying, I love my parents, we have a great relationship. I know there are people who no longer have their parents with them or are not close-I'm not complaining at all, just making an observation. They really made me laugh this week. I had a medical issue and had to have surgery-there were a few minor complications it took longer than expected, recovery will be a little longer than expected.

My dad came and stayed with me the night after to walk the dog and everything. Even though I protested profusely I was really glad he was there because with the pain meds and post-anesthesia nauseousness--I was really out of it. (On top of that, wouldn't you know it we got home and the AC was not working-95 degrees outside-so he even took care of making the calls and dealing with the guys when they came out-who knows what I would have agreed to pay if I had to make that decision in my state!):p

Well, he's stopped by every morning and evening since to check in and walk the dog. :) Yesterday he actually texted me to ask how my "tummy" was feeling. Last night I fell asleep from about 6-8 and I check my phone when I get up; both my mom and dad had texted twice-are you ok, call us if you need anything, if we don't answer the cell, call the home phone.

I just think it's funny that no matter how old you get (remember I turned 40 this year)-they always see you as a kid! ;) I'm grateful, but it still cracks me up!

3. MsG

MsG Companion

Aug 1, 2012

LOL Yes, mine do at times! My dad called just this week to inform me he happened to "notice" that I didn't have much in my bank account so he transferred some money in case of an emergency. (I live paycheck to paycheck - which is once a month, so I saw it as no problem, but whatever.) All I could do was roll my eyes. It was sweet, but really? I had to remind him that I had never withdrawn more than I had in the bank and that I am about to be 29. I had it under control. I guess dads will be dads though...and I'll always be a daddy's girl. :)

4. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Aug 1, 2012

Lol. Yes mine do too. And im in my early thirties I just had a place removed in my mouth yesterday because of my mom! I had a place come up (turned out to be fiberous tissue from me biting it while eating and never was able to heal right way) but when she found out, she had a fit for me to get to the Dr. To find out what it was. She stresses over everything for myself and my sister. I had to buy a car a couple of weeks ago and both mom and dad kept calling to find out what was wrong with the old car, the process of the new car. I felt like I was checking in for their permission to buy the car .... And my husband was with me! Lol. They still make me call and let them know I made when we travel. On a recent trip to NYC, and she has done this when I travel out of the country on cruises, she will tell me to keep hold of my husbands pocket so I don't get lost! :lol:

It's funny but like you said, I'm glad I have them there for that and I do t know what I would do without them.

5. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Aug 1, 2012

Just saying ... it doesn't end. I am considerably older than 30, and my parents still weigh in on many things. I think that it just means you really never do stop being a parent.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 1, 2012

I turned 40 in January and my parents still refer to me as their baby girl. They also make me call them if they know I'm driving a long distance just so they know I'm safe (we live in different states). Rockhubby thinks it's a little silly, but I don't mind. Why should the concern fade away just because I now have to dye the white out of my hair?

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 1, 2012

Yes, overall, I think my parents willl always see me as their baby, but my mom thinks of me more as an adult than my dad. She better understands that kids all grow up sometime.

8. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2012

I think my mom still sees me as her baby (she always tells me I'll always be her "baby girl") but she treats me pretty independently. I live in another country and sometimes I won't call for a few weeks. She doesn't freak out and think something's wrong. But when I do call she'll say "hey you haven't called in a long time!" At the same time, I do post on facebook fairly constantly so she knows I'm okay :)

9. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Aug 1, 2012

YES!!!!!
    My mom lives with me and just yesterday she was telling me when to leave for an appointment as well as how to drive teh car.

But I love her and do not know what it would be like without her here. She has been here for 15 yrs.

10. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 1, 2012

This happened almost 20 years ago: DH & I had only been in Michigan a few months & decided to take a weekend trip. We didn't tell our parents (um, we were 20something at the time & over 9 hours away from our families). Well, they decided that since we weren't answering our phone, no cell phones at that time, that something must have happened. They gave us 9 hours, figuring in that amount of time we would have made it to my in-laws. When we didn't appear there, they decided to call the police, who went & checked out our apartment. The police told our parents that BOTH cars were gone.

So now they were really worried! About that time we got home & found out that our parents were worried about us. So, now whenever we go somewhere we let them know. It's just easier.

We take a yearly vacation & I always call to let them know that we reached our destination. I call again to let them know that we made it home.

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2012

That's very sweet of them.

No, my parents do not treat me like a young child. But they never really did.

12. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 1, 2012

On some occasions they do, and it's worse being a male. I figure they'll stop as soon as I give them some grandbabies to spoil.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2012

Love all the parent stories...having two sons in their 20s I can say that I'm proud of the men they've become, but to them we're always mom and dad...they know we'll always be here fr them...just as my parents are for us (I'm typing this as I'm in my kitchen working with my dad to replace ceiling wallboard!)
    My in laws are there for their kids too, but two of DH's siblings take MAJOR advantage of that...(they act helpless...:dizzy:)..so they get treated more like 'kids' and we are treated as adults.

14. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Aug 1, 2012

Oh, yes!!!!! I love both of them dearly and know how lucky I am that they care for me so much, but sometimes I want to remind them how old I am, lol. My dad about had a cow when he found out I drove to the City and went shopping by myself. My mom's a little less protective than my dad, or else she's a little more passive about it, lol. Everytime I leave my mom and dad's, my dad always tells me to drive careful even though I only live across town. I think it's all made worse by the fact I am an epileptic, and they worry something will happen when I'm by myself. I try to reason that I can't live my life afraid something might happen, but it's harder for them to accept that. :blush:

Beth

15. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 1, 2012

I'm still the baby girl even at 42! My parents are AWESOME, and they want very much to still take care of me whenever they can. If I'm sick, they call and check on me. If I'm super busy, they'll come in and do laundry for me and clean the house! Yeah, they rock!

I love them dearly. :)

16. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 1, 2012

When my late husband was in the hospital for the last time, I came down with bronchitis and I was throwing up also. I called my mom at work. Three and a half hours later (they lived three hours away), they were there. My mom took me to a hotel so my husband wouldnt be as exposed to my germs and my dad stayed the night with my husband. The next day, I was better physically but that was the day the doctors wanted a DNR (do not resuscitate) order signed and I was a wreck emotionally. They stayed for three days, went home for a few days to their house and mine to take care of things, and came back. They kept doing that for the almost month long hospitalization and for the four days after we left the hospital. My dad had to go home to get their funeral clothes, but my mom stayed with me. I would have survived without their help, but knowing they were there helped me take care of my husband.

When I had four surgeries in six months three years ago, they were there again.

I was standing in the right line when parents were handed out.

17. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2012

For the most part, they do, but in a loving way. However, now that I'm a mom, they see me as a bit more of an adult :)

18. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2012

I'm glad someone else said that their parents want them to check in after driving long distances, even from a few states away--my mom definitely does that! And she does still like to spoil me when I come to visit. I guess the best way to say it is that she still acts like a mother, not that she treats me like a kid. :)