Do your ownplanning! (part 2)

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by pabef, Aug 30, 2016.

1. pabef

pabef Comrade

Aug 30, 2016

I posted last week about my co-worker stealing my art ideas and not ever planning her own. I decided to give it more time and do things I knew she did not have material for in order to get her to plan her own art. Also, I kept thinking I was being petty. However, today she really made me mad. I had cut out the first letter of each child's name last week for an art activity to do this week. She asked what I was doing and I just responded, "An activity I saw online." She cut out letters and had her kids paint on them. Great! Totally different that my idea. Yesterday I had my kids collage on their letter using scrap paper, buttons, stickers etc. Then I made a display outside my room. I placed a letter and put their name beside it. Example: B is for Brayden. Well, today she asked if I would take her kids outside with mine while she planned an activity. I did. Later this morning I realized she did the same activity and posted outside her room!

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 30, 2016

It may be a little petty but it would totally drive me BONKERS, too!

I could see copying if it was a whole grade level planned thing but it isn't. Yeah, it would irk me. I'm irked for you.

DizneeTeachR and pabef like this.
  4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 30, 2016

I don't know... Personally, I always take it as a form of flattery when someone likes my idea enough to want to do it. Plus, I so appreciate when others share ideas with me. I see no reason to not be open to sharing with others.

Luv2TeachInTX likes this.
  5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 31, 2016

You didn't have the conversation with her, did you? Go back to the original thread-there were great suggestions there on what you might say to your colleague about this.

6. pabef

pabef Comrade

Aug 31, 2016

No I didn't have a conversation with her. I thought I would give it more time, so as to not strain our relationship. I will talk to her now. Bella84, I would be flattered, but she literally does not plan any art activities on her own. I work really hard planning my activities and gathering materials. Sometimes she even uses my things that I have purchased on my own or parents have donated.

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 31, 2016

Part of that conversation could be, "Shall we take turns planning art activities for the year? Since I planned the first few activities, I thought you would do the next few."

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 31, 2016

It is one thing to share and another to copy. I know I did a few things just as my class and others I didn't mind sharing.

Mrs C like your idea.

9. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 31, 2016

Mrs. C's idea is great. Tell her it's her turn to plan activities. :D

10. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Aug 31, 2016

Well I can relate! A couple of the teachers in our corner have been copying my ideas as far as decorations (eg. I put borders on the windows, the next day, they had done that too)
    It was just annoying, really, but today, one of had gotten access to the schedule I made for the classroom and put her name on it!!!! She kept the same font, wording, pictures, and schedule!! All she did was change my name and room number to hers. I was pissed all morning.

11. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 1, 2016

As for decorating, you almost want to do a plain room... LOL Let them decorate first and see what they do with nothing to copy!

12. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Sep 1, 2016

In all honesty, people who work with you know who the idea came from. It may sneak past a parent or two, but admin and other teachers know the creative efforts from the originators vs the imitators. I would be remiss if I did not mention that many schools are so lockstep with all the classes doing the same thing on the same day that some creativity has flown out the window. I have borrowed from the best, and I don't care who borrows from me. The other art teacher is obviously insecure at the very least, less creative in all likelihood, and very needy. I had a new teacher who couldn't do anything for herself the first year - she really wasn't a science teacher. The only options were to support her or let her drown. I chose to support her, and found she had some talent, but not in science. She matured into a teacher I was proud of. Not a mini-me, but self reliant. I think of that when I read this thread. You have to choose.

13. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Sep 1, 2016

I would've gladly made her her own if she had asked, but to take something I worked hard on and slap her name on it is just rude