Do Your Own Planning

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by pabef, Aug 21, 2016.

1. pabef

pabef Comrade

Aug 21, 2016

My co-worker tells me that I am more creative at planning art activies than she is. She often uses my ideas for her class. I normally don't mind sharing, some activities, but I work hard to plan and since I like to recycle, I spend time collecting needed items or ask parents to donate. Recently I sent out a class newsletter with info and upcoming dates. At the bottom I asked parents to save Pringles can lids for a fall project. I noticed later that my co-worker had copied my newsletter and put in her students cubbies as well. She doesn't even know what I plan to do with the Pringles lids. I am ticked! Am I being petty?

3. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Aug 21, 2016

No, I'm the same way. I'm the more creative one so my coworkers like to take my ideas. I don't mind it as long as I get credit for it!
    I work hard on my stuff and I definitely don't like being "copied".
    It's actually quite annoying. The other teachers in our corner of the school have been copying some of my decor as we set up our rooms. I'm actually getting angry just typing this lol

4. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 21, 2016

Haha! I'd love to know what she is planning on doing with all those Pringles lids!

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2016

How did she get your newsletter?

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 22, 2016

She probably took it out of a kid's cubby and made a copy!

7. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Aug 22, 2016

Is there some other kind of regular task that you could ask her to take on that is NOT your preferred area/ skill set, to sort of balance the load more?

MsAbeja likes this.
  8. pabef

pabef Comrade

Aug 22, 2016

Good idea Phillyteacher. I will come up with something.

9. teacherL

teacherL Rookie

Aug 22, 2016

I know it wasn't meant to be funny, but I kinda laughed reading the responses. I could totally understand why you would be angry, maybe you should plan a different project and let her figure out what to do with the pringles tops.j/k

10. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 23, 2016

Yeah, I'm idea territorial! LOL If I don't share it, you don't steal it.

11. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2016

You would have hated my District's motto: CASE or copy and steal everything.
    I'm actually kind of the opposite, I brought in good ideas and was miffed when my colleagues didn't want to try them out because they'd rather stick to the script. PFFF. They'd hear my kids or see the aftermath and really compliment me. "Oh that looks great. I would love to try it."
    :mad::banghead:
    During prep all they would do is talk about how "their students couldn't handle it" or "there wasn't enough time" yada yada... you MAKE time! Why your students are sitting there doing a WORKSHEET on area, my kids are modeling with geoboards and then using cheeze- its to create different shapes to find the area. Or we did a lot of candy science experiments ( I bought a book :) ) was it messy? Sure. But we had fun and the kids practiced the scientific method and worked on completing lab reports. We had adjoining rooms, so students from the other classes would peak in when we were doing those activities. Anytime my team members would express interest I just thought to myself "OMG we talked about this during planning! You could have done it too."

Oh well. Their loss. I think they viewed me as this kind of rebellious / lazy teacher? who didn't follow the script. NAH. I just find more engaging ways to teach the material. Sorry but worksheets bore me and the students.

12. pabef

pabef Comrade

Aug 24, 2016

Well, today she copied another idea. It was friendship art. I had the kids make handprints and their friend make a handprint on the same page. I did like one friend in red and the other in blue. Then in the center they did prints together to make purple. I put their names under each handprint in their color and under the joint print I put friends in purple. She used all different colors.

MsAbeja likes this.
  13. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Aug 24, 2016

Wow. I'm really annoyed for you!

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2016

I think you should have a conversation with her. If the expectation is NOT that both classes are lockstep in all activities and lessons, there is no need to have identical art projects. Tell her it takes you a lot of time and effort to create those activities. Offer to co-plan an occasional seasonal or thematic activity in which both classes could participate, and emphasize that it would be beneficial for your working relationship and her own professional growth for her to plan for her own students. Tell her she can bounce her own ideas off you, suggest some websites where she can get ideas and tell her you are looking forward to seeing what she comes up with on her own.

MLB711, a2z, MsAbeja and 1 other person like this.
  15. a2z

a2z Maven

Aug 26, 2016

They may not have the ability to connect your description in meetings to what happens in the classroom because it is so foreign to them. They can't imagine it and what they think when you describe it is completely different than what you put in practice. Invite them to observe some of the hands-on lessons.

Seems that what you do is not part of their wheelhouse. So, when you discuss it they try to put it into what they know because they can't imagine it any other way.

16. a2z

a2z Maven

Aug 26, 2016

Ditto what czacza said.

17. lamariposa

lamariposa Rookie

Aug 26, 2016

Ugh I feel your pain. I had a situationl like this last year and it was made worst by the fact that we shared rooms AND had a pair of sisters in each class. She tried to excuse it by saying if we didn't do the same activites/art projects etc, the girls' mom would have a problem. In reality, she just wanted to copy my stuff and take the easy route. I spoke to her about it and she got upset but continued to do it. She'd go on my side of the room when I was gone (her para would tell me) and try to find out what I was going to do for 'x special day' or as a small group activity. So I had to keep everything locked up, take any ideas home, clear my search browser. It was bananas. I don't work their anymore so I honestly don't have any good advice but just wanted to say I understand how upsetting and annoying this is.