Do your kids have their own glue?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by woobie5, Jan 24, 2010.

1. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

Jan 24, 2010

Do your kids use glue bottles or do you give them small amounts of glue as needed? Or maybe your kids use glue sticks?

3. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Jan 24, 2010

At the beginning of the year (the first month), I only had my students use glue sticks. Then, in September, I introduced glue bottles. My students each have their own glue bottle, but we have community scissors they all share.

4. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Jan 24, 2010

We have tubs on each table - they have glue sticks. The bottles are only brought out when we need them. I'm afraid they'll all eat and/or sniff the bottles like I did when I was five. :D

5. Lanie

Lanie Cohort

Jan 24, 2010

We primarily use glue stick because it dries so quickly and when papers are filed, they don't stick to all the other papers if there is still a wet part. However, when we use bottle glue, I have to give specific lessons on how to do it. I had an upper grade teacher walk into my room one day while I was demonstrating how NOT to use the glue and they couldn't believe we actually had to teach this concept. :) I think it's important that my students learn how to use it, but we do not keep it in our desks. We only bring it out when the project has something heavier than paper that needs to really stick.

6. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jan 24, 2010

We have community supplies for everything. We use glue sticks when gluing paper to paper, and bottled glue for everything else. At the art center, they are free to use what they want.

I model correct use of both extensively at the beginning of the year and as necessary after that.

7. clld2tch

clld2tch Rookie

Jan 24, 2010

Each child has their own glue bottle that we keep in a basket in the middle of the table. Before we do our first activity with glue at the start of the year we have an extensive lesson on the correct way to use glue. We usually use the "dot-dot-not a lot" saying when we do gluing activities. Honestly, I would rather have glue sticks because we do have the problem of papers being stuck to others when students don't use the glue correctly.

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jan 24, 2010

I have 2 glue bottles on each table for 3 kids to share and have since the 2nd week of school. No one ever eats it or sniffs it and by 3-4 weeks they use the right amount of glue 99% of the time.

9. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jan 25, 2010

my kids have their own glue stick. I wanted to cut down in the transfer of germs in general in my room, so I have all their own supplies, no community supplies. I find that the kids take better care this way too, because it is their own - it works

10. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jan 28, 2010

Everyone has their own glue stick, but we pull out the glue bottles for certain projects that just won't work with glue sticks. Some of the glue sticks just won't hold anything and do not last very long.
    Back in the 'old' days, we used paste!

11. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jan 28, 2010

My kids each have a glue stick in their pencil box. When we use liquid glue for projects I put a puddle on a paper plate or I have little paint cups that I put glue in and old paint brushes that they use to spread it

12. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 28, 2010

We are a private school, and kids bring all their own supplies, including glue sticks.

13. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jan 30, 2010

Glue sticks. I used only glue bottles last year, and it took a long time to pass them out, refill them when they ran out and most time consuming, unclogging them with a straightened out paper clip!! lol. Much better this year with glue sticks. They don't last too long, but you can put it on your "please donate" list for parents! I started out with a scissor bucket, but little by little they kept them in their own supply boxes, and I haven't had any problem. If a child was cutting something he or she shouldn't, then that child would not get to keep his own pair until he learned how to use them. :D